• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardonX

Banned
hoenn doesn't have one city to rule them all.

And for me I doubt a few more rocks floating on the water routes will make much of a difference.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
And they did a great job with restoring a lot of areas with HGSS but there was no point in restoring Cinnabar.

Uh-huh. That's great. Except I wasn't speaking to the quality of those areas' layouts. I was simply saying that paving out a former area into an empty lot is not something that they haven't done before.

LOL, no. It's that way because that's how it was in the originals. They didn't feel the need to come up with new buildings in 10+ towns. You are blowing this far out of proportion. A place to shop is far different than using TMs once or infinite time. Srsly, we don't even know if they made any changes to them.

Is it really that cringe-worthy that GF decided to keep the Pokemon Center and PokeMart separated considering it has originally been that way just to stay true to the originals?

Or convenience have spoiled you, guys?

Let me be clear: This is a matter of principle. Yes, I realize that it is just an extra fifteen steps and that I have done it a billion times before in pre-Gen V games. But a more convenient feature, for no reason other than pandering to the fans' nostalgia, has been downgraded, and it concerns me that Game Freak is willing to do that. Maybe it isn't quite the same thing as infinite-use TMs (even though those are far from a necessity and could be removed at any time), but what about the Repel prompt? Would having to go back into your Bag every time a Repel ran out so that you could spray them one-by-one really authenticate your nostalgic experience by that much? Why make something more inconvenient for yourself just so you can get that warm, tingly feeling? Or, as I mention below, the menu screen. Would Diamond and Pearl remakes really benefit from the "nostalgic" removal of the P.S.S. in favor of the older multiplayer interfaces? Or could they get by just fine with the superior P.S.S. system? They have taken backward steps with menu screens before, so even the P.S.S. as a feature is not necessarily safe from removal.

I do not see that as a step backwards at all. They are being true the the game. Hoenn has had the two in different places, and since this is the same game and the same time it would be strange for them to just change.

It is going from something that was less convenient, to something that was more convenient, to going back to what was less convenient. "True to the game," authentic or not, that is fundamentally a backward step, just as the reversion from HGSS's streamlined menu screen to the older model of menu screen in BW was.

I don't know if it's fanservice as much as it's them just not bothering to replace them with something. Like, I know fans can be picky but does I don't think the lack of Pokemarts is something anybody actually cares about nostalgia wise.

How can the R/S remakes possibly be considered inferior to X/Y/Black/White solely because of 2 buildings in 1, that's beyond ridiculous. The Pokemarts are back because its a remake. It's called nostalgia, not fanservice.

"Superior" in the sense that it was previously a more convenient and streamlined setup. Not "OMG BWXY ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BETTR BECAUSE THEY HAVE MARTS IN THE POKEMAN CENTRS OMGUMDROPS!11/1111!!!!!!"

And playing to the fans' nostalgia is undeniably a form of fanservice. And, would you not have gotten just as high on the nosty regardless of whether or not Pokémon Centers and Poké Marts were merged? These are full-blown remakes of Ruby and Sapphire; they're inherently going to excite players' nostalgic feelings even if the smaller features are brought up to the current standard. People complain to yonder and back about Tabitha's redesign, but is that really any more significant than segregated Poké Marts? I would argue that it is, in fact, less significant, because Tabitha's design has absolutely no tangible effect on the gameplay.

Come on, guys. Look past the fact that what I am saying is not a glowing, positive, "EEEE IM SO THRILLED TO HAVE THESE CHILDHOOD MEMORIES BACK1!!!!" declaration of unwavering love for these games and actually read what I am saying.

First, the complexion issue, now something as petty as this... Seriously... the fanbase...

That wasn't even that big of an issue. That was two people (myself and that other user) arguing, with smaller voices chiming in to either give their own opinion, or to respond with "WHAAUM IT'S NOT THAT BIG A DEAL GUYS CHILL OUT," even though we weren't treating it as such - we were simply arguing about it, as just about most of the fans do about every conceivable detail anyway.

Last edited:

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
My take on the new map:

1. Longer route
2. New building?
3. Changed cave entrance
4. Another cave opening...probably the dark glasses guy
5. One extra cave opening
6. Bigger ship maybe on an island?
7. New house?
8. Walled Mauville and it does look greener...green energy?
9. Looks like a team building activity, a parcour?
10. New cave opening?
11. Changed Jagged Pass and bigger cable lift building
12. New hidden route?
13. It looks like you can walk over Meteor Falls...probably not but it does look strange
14. New route?
15. Route changed in an ultimate rain forest
16. A hill, a new hill?
17. New top of Mt. Pyre
18. Dark Island, or distortion world, or fairy kingdom?
19. New something
20. Also new something
21. Bigger and brighter space center
22. Sea temple, do I smell a Manaphy?
23. Jacuzzi Sea Pass, dive spot
24. More houses at Ever Grande
25. Looks like giant dive spot + a small town?
26. The same but with museum esque buildings...ruins...Regigigas?
27. New cave and land?
28. Bermuda triangle
29. Faraway island?

Numberless red triangle: Sky Pillar

30. Probably nothing but who knows?
31. Battle Tower or Frontier, if it is a tower than maybe... Delta Emerald?
32. Cave route?

33. Extra house to the right of the berry master...the orange building or is it a rock formation?

That's it I guess!

Last edited:

ShadowKreach

I did notice that thing behind the Devon Corporation building. There's definitely nothing there in the original games, so I'm sure there's something new in Rustboro.
I really wish we could get a higher quality map, it's pretty difficult to make things out on this one, as nice as it looks.

Pluski

I did notice that thing behind the Devon Corporation building. There's definitely nothing there in the original games, so I'm sure there's something new in Rustboro.
I really wish we could get a higher quality map, it's pretty difficult to make things out on this one, as nice as it looks.

They kind of look like factory buildings to me, but it's hard to say for sure.

Fayh

If you play around with the contrast and color deepness you get this thing (Reminder this little island wasn't on the original Hoenn map)

What the hell is this

[/QUOTE]wow, nice find!

Looks like an island with a lagoon on the east side? And there seems to be a tower with a "pokeball" helipad / roof.

nuzamaki90

wow, nice find!

Looks like an island with a lagoon on the east side? And there seems to be a tower with a "pokeball" helipad / roof.

I didn't find it, I know we aren't supposed to bring up 4chan but they have a thread up dedicated to finding hidden stuff on the map and an anon posted it.

If anything, I think that white space is related to the Sinnoh Legends. I didn't realize it at first but in FRLG the Johto Legends were present and in HGSS the Hoenn Legends were present, so I'm sure in ORAS the Sinnoh Legends will be present, which is why we have that weird dark sanctuary. Full on 3D Distortion World.

Last edited:

Fayh

I didn't find it, I know we aren't supposed to bring up 4chan but they have a thread up dedicated to finding hidden stuff on the map and an anon posted it.

If anything, I think that white space is related to the Sinnoh Legends. I didn't realize it at first but in FRLG the Johto Legends were present and in HGSS the Hoenn Legends were present, so I'm sure in ORAS the Sinnoh Legends will be present, which is why we have that weird dark sanctuary. Full on 3D Distortion World.

Oh wait... if it's from there, I'd rather have someone trustworthy double check if it isn't faked :<

I hope you're right about the Distortion World. I want another Giratina <3

Aiwendil

Nope. Look at this artwork: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Slateport_City_Mt_Chimney_artwork.png
This is Route 9, then Slateport, then Route 10 (and you can see the Cycling Road), then Mauville (walled), then Route 111-112, then Mt. Chimney.[/QUOTE]

So Mauville being walled, could this mean it will get a Lumiose treatment? Lumiose was walled because it was really huge and they kinda wanted to "seal" it in as a seperate area? Plus Lumiose served as a hub, which goes for Mauville as well.

Flame Haji

Ground Gym Leader
Maybe its a Battle Tower or something?

It is going from something that was less convenient, to something that was more convenient, to going back to what was less convenient. "True to the game," authentic or not, that is fundamentally a backward step, just as the reversion from HGSS's streamlined menu screen to the older model of menu screen in BW was.
Actually I did not find that convenient at all. It was just there. It did not make any difference to me or to the game play to have me walk five steps to buy pokeballs or 15 steps. Changing a menu to me is way different.

Acherhar

Holon Cartographer
Haha, I was pretty impressed, until you said it was from 4Chan. After playing around in Photoshop, it's clear that it's a fake image. This is what I managed to get:

IHW0Jq6.jpg

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

Oh wait... if it's from there, I'd rather have someone trustworthy double check if it isn't faked :<

I hope you're right about the Distortion World. I want another Giratina <3

Yeah and guess what, I just tried it and it is fake. It's actually just a photoshop of the island right next to it.

However, I edited the map to show you what I mean. The white space is in the water beyond the water route, Palkia is part Water. The dark sanctuary is up in it's own territory, which is why I think it's the Distortion World, therefore Giratina. Finally, I just think that huge patch of greenery isn't there for no reason so I think Dialgia might be hiding there.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/FTJ9E7m.png[/img139]

GoldCyndaquil

Shiny Hunter
Nope. Look at this artwork: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Slateport_City_Mt_Chimney_artwork.png
This is Route 9, then Slateport, then Route 10 (and you can see the Cycling Road), then Mauville (walled), then Route 111-112, then Mt. Chimney.

So Mauville being walled, could this mean it will get a Lumiose treatment? Lumiose was walled because it was really huge and they kinda wanted to "seal" it in as a seperate area? Plus Lumiose served as a hub, which goes for Mauville as well.[/QUOTE]

I agree that is somewhat the inland hub of Hoenn, but I highly doubt that it will get the Lumiose treatment.

Oshakpop

Eeveelution Master
None of the cities will get the 'Lumiose Treatement' because none of them are on that scale, really. Of course there is Mauville, Slateport and Lilcove to choose from, but I feel like there is too much "space" in most of them to really have a huge city. Slateport certainly needs more use. Those large warehouses/buildings in the bottom corner of the City need to be accessible possibly with Trainers in them or something. I always felt Slateport needed more stuff to do, even though they had a Market, Contest, Harbour etc.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
29. Faraway island?

That is actually the Southern Island. Faraway Island is not in Hoenn, hence the name.

Actually I did not find that convenient at all. It was just there. It did not make any difference to me or to the game play to have me walk five steps to buy pokeballs or 15 steps. Changing a menu to me is way different.

Whether or not you found it more convenient is irrelevant, because in this case, convenience is something that can be empirically quantified. Putting the Poké Marts into the same building in which you also heal your Pokémon and alter your attire is objectively more convenient to players because it packs more services under one roof, and it saves the time that would have been spent walking to a segregated Mart. It also requires you to load fewer maps, which further saves time.

Whether or not one acknowledges it as more convenient does not change the fact that it is.

It isn't a particularly big deal for me but I like that they split the Pokecenter and mart apart.
I always regarded the pokécenter as a free health care system. For pokémon of course.
The mart on the other hand, I see as a more market-powered company.
I found it a bit odd to make them share the same roof when they seemed to have little in common.
It also made the towns feel bigger, if that counts for anything. This could easily be fixed by adding boutiques or other buildings where the marts once stood.
I will also admit that the nostalgia might play a small role too.
On the other hand it isn't as convenient, but I don't see it as such a huge loss either.

Last edited:

PKMN KING

Ozymandias
On the drawing on bulbapedia of the slateport beach, cycle road, walled mauville and mount chimney...you can see red (center), blue (mart), green and white striped (battle tents), pink (boutiques?) and orange buildings (contests?).

Grey Wind

On the drawing on bulbapedia of the slateport beach, cycle road, walled mauville and mount chimney...you can see red (center), blue (mart), green and white striped (battle tents), pink (boutiques?) and orange buildings (contests?).
Those are the markets. The building behind them is the Pokemon fan club.

Aetius

Anyway am I the only one who thinks that the route leading to Fortree city will look like a tropical jungle?
They seem to have completely changed it to make it look like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.