• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterofArcanine

Pokecollection Maste
And technically Bunneary/Lopunny.

True but not fully confirmed let. While imagine it is they haven't said its there like Dusknoir. So new Pokemon though: Buneary, Lopunny, and Dusknoir.

DasManiac

So far we have only seen normal Hoenn Pokemon in any screenshots or footage. No new Pokemon expect Dusknoir. I am curious how much of a expanded dex they are hiding?

Slowbro has also been shown in Contests and it was not in the original Dex. Here it is on the official site. The PokeDex has also been shown to receive an expansion by at least nine. If you look at these screenshot, the Dex numbers for Pikachu, Milotic, and Salamence are all different.

The Slowbro screenshots are on Page 2 and the expanded Dex ones are on page 1. The Dex ones are for the "What Is a Pokémon Contest Spectacular?" section and the Slowbro ones are found in "Talent Round Strategy: Cool Moves!" section.

Last edited:

Baby V Alex

There aren't a whole lot of Pokémon available in grass routes, underwater, deserts and caves in Hoenn. A wide variety of them are exclusive to Safari Zone(which likely doesn't have hordes for obvious reasons) and surfing/fishing. So unless there is a massive revamp of the regional dex, don't expect anything as varied as Kalos hordes.

Edit: Official website also confirms Zigzagoon and Whismur hordes. The former was actually unavailable with its Hidden Ability, so that's cool... but obviously expected.

Edit 2: So...

Petalburg Woods->Zigzagoon Hordes.
Fiery Path->Numel Hordes.
Rusturff Tunnel->Whismur Hordes.
Granite Cave->Makuhita and Geodude Hordes.

Wich one wasn't available with it's HA? Zigzagoon? I thought he was.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Slowbro has also been shown in Contests and it was not in the original Dex. Here it is on the official site. The PokeDex has also been shown to receive an expansion by at least nine. If you look at these screenshot, the Dex numbers for Pikachu, Milotic, and Salamence are all different.

The Slowbro screenshots are on Page 2 and the expanded Dex ones are on page 1. The Dex ones are for the "What Is a Pokémon Contest Spectacular?" section and the Slowbro ones are found in "Talent Round Strategy: Cool Moves!" section.

So...

Milotic's original number was 141, its new one is 146. So, 5 new Pokémon are in between Feebas and Linoone.(Which I guess are Roserade, Magnezone, Gallade, Budew and Probopass)

Pikachu's original number was 156, its new one is 163. So, 2 new Pokémon are in between Pichu and Milotic.(Which should be Dusknoir and Chingling)

Salamence's original number was 189, its new one is 198. So, 2 new Pokémon are in between Bagon and Raichu(Which should be Froslass and Rhyperior).

So either the dex is completely revamped, the additional families are not present before Salamence or Slowpoke-line and Buneary-line are for post-E4, or some of the cross-generational family members are not appearing(.

Ehhh...

diakyu

You never know, it could be like how the Platinum dex was expanded.

Aielyn

So...

Milotic's original number was 141, its new one is 146. So, 5 new Pokémon are in between Feebas and Linoone.(Which I guess are Roserade, Magnezone, Gallade, Budew and Probopass)

Pikachu's original number was 156, its new one is 163. So, 2 new Pokémon are in between Pichu and Milotic.(Which should be Dusknoir and Chingling)

Salamence's original number was 189, its new one is 198. So, 2 new Pokémon are in between Bagon and Raichu(Which should be Froslass and Rhyperior).

So either the dex is completely revamped, the additional families are not present before Salamence or Slowpoke-line and Buneary-line are for post-E4, or some of the cross-generational family members are not appearing(.

Ehhh...
I think we can safely say that, before Salamence, the only new pokemon are the ones you've mentioned - the numbers work out too perfectly to be anything else. I could see more pokemon added after Metagross, though (either before the Hoenn legendaries, or after them).

The really interesting discussion, in my opinion, is this: where will Magnezone and Probopass evolve? The others all evolve through items/trades/etc (and Chingling and Budew are made through breeding)... but these two needed to be evolved in certain magnetic rock locations. There are two obvious places for them - Mt Chimney or New Mauville, although neither completely satisfies the requirements. Other plausible locations without requiring much adjustment are Cave of Origin, Scorched Slab, Granite Cave (might be too early, given that you can get Nosepass there as it is), or Victory Road.

Personally, I'd like to see Desert Underpass return and given additional features, and this could easily be one of them.

ryanthehuman

I don't know if this is the right thread to discuss this, but did anyone else find it odd that there was that random Geodude in the Makuhita horde? X/Y's mixed horde encounters always seemed like the Pokemon had a sort of connection, but this one just seems completely random. Did I miss something that ties the two Pokemon together or is it genuinely a random mix?

Anyway, it would be cool if they introduced hordes for surfing (and diving) areas as well. That way they could pad the later sea routes out with higher levelled Pokemon like Tentacruel, Sharpedo, Wailmer, Pelliper, Seadra, etc. while maintaining the original Pokemon located in these areas like Tentacool and Wingull, and maybe throwing in the likes of Luvdisc, Staryu, and Horsea, as well.

Hopefully that's the case. Otherwise introducing Mega Lopunny would feel a bit redundant, really.

Aielyn

I don't know if this is the right thread to discuss this, but did anyone else find it odd that there was that random Geodude in the Makuhita horde? X/Y's mixed horde encounters always seemed like the Pokemon had a sort of connection, but this one just seems completely random. Did I miss something that ties the two Pokemon together or is it genuinely a random mix?
Reflection Cave had Roggenrola/Carbink hordes, and Route 20 had Trevenant/Sudowoodo hordes. The former really only shares the property of being rock, while the latter is designed to play off the idea of sudowoodo pretending to be a tree, and thus hiding amongst Trevenant, rather than any direct connection between them.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The PokeDex has also been shown to receive an expansion by at least nine. If you look at these screenshot, the Dex numbers for Pikachu, Milotic, and Salamence are all different.

That's not a good sign. If we were getting an expanded Hoenn Dex, they'd most likely just renumber everything. This is looking more like they're just going to add the cross gen evos to the Dex and nothing else. Maybe Regigigas too since he would come after Salamence.

They don't really do that anymore though, it's too disorganized. Even BW2, which doubled the size of its dex, had all of its Pokemon renumbered.

The really interesting discussion, in my opinion, is this: where will Magnezone and Probopass evolve? The others all evolve through items/trades/etc (and Chingling and Budew are made through breeding)... but these two needed to be evolved in certain magnetic rock locations. There are two obvious places for them - Mt Chimney or New Mauville, although neither completely satisfies the requirements. Other plausible locations without requiring much adjustment are Cave of Origin, Scorched Slab, Granite Cave (might be too early, given that you can get Nosepass there as it is), or Victory Road.

Personally, I'd like to see Desert Underpass return and given additional features, and this could easily be one of them.

How does New Mauville not work? It just needs to be somewhere where electromagnetism is in effect. Hell, XY had you evolve them on Rt. 13, and that's even more random than New Mauville.

ryanthehuman

Reflection Cave had Roggenrola/Carbink hordes, and Route 20 had Trevenant/Sudowoodo hordes. The former really only shares the property of being rock, while the latter is designed to play off the idea of sudowoodo pretending to be a tree, and thus hiding amongst Trevenant, rather than any direct connection between them.

True, but at least the former shared an aesthetic whilst the latter was based off of Sudowoodo's characteristics. As far as I know, Makuhita and Geodude share neither of these.

diakyu

They don't really do that anymore though, it's too disorganized. Even BW2, which doubled the size of its dex, had all of its Pokemon renumbered.
You can't use BW2 as proof that they don't do it anymore. For all we know it's an exception to the dex numbering. We've only had one game that expanded the dex of a region since Platinum so you can't really draw anything from it. Not to mention BW2 is not on the same level as a remake/3rd version. They might have just added the evolutions but they could still have expanded it more.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
You can't use BW2 as proof that they don't do it anymore.

Yes I can. It's the most recent example, and therefore the most relevant.

For all we know it's an exception to the dex numbering. We've only had one game that expanded the dex of a region since Platinum so you can't really draw anything from it.

Okay, first of all, it wasn't, HGSS also added 5 Pokemon to its regional dex. Guess how they did it?

Second, Platinum's method led to all sorts of problems like having an event Pokemon in the middle of the dex. Remember how you had to see Manaphy in a book because of its placement in the Sinnoh Dex? So unless you would prefer having Jirachi and Deoxys in the same situation, then it's not happening. Furthermore, shoving the other 60 Pokemon to the end made it hard to see what you were missing.

Not to mention BW2 is not on the same level as a remake/3rd version. We just don't have enough proof for anything just yet.

They most likely do not care, they're probably just going to handle all Dex expansions the same way.

Horde battles with trainers are a thing now:

aug_p22_09_en_gte.jpg
aug_p22_10_en_rkd.jpg
aug_p22_11_en_xle.jpg

Ah, that answers the 'Hordes having a bit added with trainers' question I asked in another thread.
How did I not notice it was against the games evil teams?

Kind of disappointing the opposing Pokemons levels are still lower than yours like in wild horde encounters.

ilovemyumbreon

Holding a Moon Shard
I see that Salamence is Pdex #198 instead of his original 189 that leaves room for the cross generation evolutions before him (and perhaps Regigigas after) but nothing more. Any thoughts?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I see that Salamence is Pdex #198 instead of his original 189 that leaves room for the cross generation evolutions before him (and perhaps Regigigas after) but nothing more. Any thoughts?

That's what we've been discussing for the last page.

I think it pretty much kills any chance for this game to be remotely interesting, they've been so minimalist in this game in just about every other area, it's probably just going to be the same game + Mega Evolutions + the usual post game extras that we usually get like swarms and bonus legendaries. Which is going to be really boring, even FRLG and HGSS had more than that.

ilovemyumbreon

Holding a Moon Shard
That's what we've been discussing for the last page.

I think it pretty much kills any chance for this game to be remotely interesting, they've been so minimalist in this game in just about every other area, it's probably just going to be the same game + Mega Evolutions + the usual post game extras that we usually get like swarms and bonus legendaries. Which is going to be really boring, even FRLG and HGSS had more than that.

oops i see now. I for one think it's a good choice to focus on Hoenn. I actually don't want Regigigas in the Hoenn dec but i think he will be. I wonder if they plan to do many free gimme shinies to keep the dex fresh feeling.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
oops i see now. I for one think it's a good choice to focus on Hoenn. I actually don't want Regigigas in the Hoenn dec but i think he will be. I wonder if they plan to do many free gimme shinies to keep the dex fresh feeling.

They can add Pokemon to the game and still focus on Hoenn. They just have to be careful that the Pokemon added complement the 3rd gen Pokemon instead of simply overshadowing them. They can do that with 250 Pokemon, hell they could probably get away with 300 Pokemon as long as the 3rd gen Pokemon get more exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.