• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleRalts

The Ultimate Ralts
Another thing with berries, how would the mechanics with them work? Would GF add new ones for these games? Maybe even...we get super special berries at MIRAGE ISLAND!

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Actually, when comparing screen shots, the berry patches seem to be missing. People have speculate that we will get a huge berry patch again like in X/Y. I don't know where exactly, but I like the idea, it will be so much easier to grow berries that way! I just hope its in an easy to access place.

Actually... berry plots are in the game and are still scattered around the Hoenn region.
It has been shown in different trailers. You guys must've missed it.

pTpJ82h.png

I'm sure the mechanics are the same as Gen 4. Also with the pests and new berries introduced in XY being available.

LittleRalts

The Ultimate Ralts
Thank you Wulava! That's wonderful. I'm so excited. I've now officially pre-ordered AS! Im now thinking...what could they do with those Regi Caves to make them more interesting...or what puzzles will be inside them?

DotKU

Champion
I really hope they have a setting that allows you to chose the difficulty of the game before you actually start the game to make the game more challenging.

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Thank you Wulava! That's wonderful. I'm so excited. I've now officially pre-ordered AS! Im now thinking...what could they do with those Regi Caves to make them more interesting...or what puzzles will be inside them?

I just want them to keep the creativity with moves or even items. I always loved the ruins of alph secret rooms which had the same premise. But i wander, for how cryptic they are to get, why are they so well hidden? What happened for them to be sealed with multiple layers? Were they too destructive/powerful to be let loose? Could we see regis primal reverting? I would like to see that but if not at least give us actually useful primal regigigas. No more slow start, just pure colossal destruction.

PKMNOriginsRed

Pokemon Trainer
I don't think so, unfortunately :( we've seen way to many screen shots not to notice. I think they're just trying to take advantage of the graphics capabilities in this game. They'd have to do a lot of artwork to bring following Pokemon back, especially because we now can move in more then four directions.

Too bad though, it would be amazing if they did that, especially if they got the size right. Think of having Groudon follow you around :p

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
I really hope they have a setting that allows you to chose the difficulty of the game before you actually start the game to make the game more challenging.

A difficulty setting is pointless if they design the trainers teams right or at the very least raise their AI. Look at platinum, besides a small amount of trainers plus roark and byron, the game is pretty challenging. Trainers with strong pokes, actual movesets in some, the hardest champion, some of the hardest trainers actually (raichu/gyarados team anyone?). BW's hard mode added nothing to the challenge. It's not higher levels that make it harder, it's how they use their pokemon. I would like them to keep the games progressively harder. starts easy but as you go through, it gets harder and harder.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
A difficulty setting is pointless if they design the trainers teams right or at the very least raise their AI. Look at platinum, besides a small amount of trainers plus roark and byron, the game is pretty challenging. Trainers with strong pokes, actual movesets in some, the hardest champion, some of the hardest trainers actually (raichu/gyarados team anyone?). BW's hard mode added nothing to the challenge. It's not higher levels that make it harder, it's how they use their pokemon. I would like them to keep the games progressively harder. starts easy but as you go through, it gets harder and harder.

This is something I really miss about the pre-5th gen era, they weren't dead set on making the game idiotproof. Sadly, it seems that they're stuck in this mindset now and I don't think they'll be changing their mind anytime soon.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
This is something I really miss about the pre-5th gen era, they weren't dead set on making the game idiotproof. Sadly, it seems that they're stuck in this mindset now and I don't think they'll be changing their mind anytime soon.

Yeah; in fact, I started playing through Platinum again yesterday and I could tell the difference. I like a lot of what Gens V and VI brought, but I do think that they have compromised themselves a bit as far as the actual game design goes.

Another thing that I miss is all of those little nooks and crannies that used to be scattered around the region. Like, small alleyways or indents that were tucked away and contained an item, but could be easily missed if you weren't looking too closely. Those, as well as the areas like the Ravaged Path and the Oreburgh Tunnel, where there would be water or Strength rocks or Bicycle ramps that would force you to come back to the area later with the right HMs or whatever if you wanted to find everything. It just feels as though we don't get that stuff as often as we used to. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe my perception is just messing with how I remember it, but I can't help that feeling.

Last edited:

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Anyone think they would replace the game corner? If so, what would take its place? I would guess the Friend safari or Battle tent (which is unlikely since there is no Emerald elements so far.)

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
Anyone think they would replace the game corner? If so, what would take its place? I would guess the Friend safari or Battle tent (which is unlikely since there is no Emerald elements so far.)

As long as it isnt voltorb flip with actual useful rewards...seriously no more voltorb flip...

magma grunt edu

casual hardcore fan
Yeah; in fact, I started playing through Platinum again yesterday and I could tell the difference. I like a lot of what Gens V and VI brought, but I do think that they have compromised themselves a bit as far as the actual game design goes.

Another thing that I miss is all of those little nooks and crannies that used to be scattered around the region. Like, small alleyways or indents that were tucked away and contained an item, but could be easily missed if you weren't looking too closely. Those, as well as the areas like the Ravaged Path and the Oreburgh Tunnel, where there would be water or Strength rocks or Bicycle ramps that would force you to come back to the area later with the right HMs or whatever if you wanted to find everything. It just feels as though we don't get that stuff as often as we used to. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe my perception is just messing with how I remember it, but I can't help that feeling.

No, you're right. BW had the mistralon cave well hidden and in BW2 you can get volcarona early on from the world tournament shortcut but that's all i can remember. I too miss stuff like oreburgh's gate, the old chateau in eterna forest, the cave north of jubilife, the secret entrance to wayward cave, even the routes south of sandgem town. I bash the region's design a lot and i still hate it the way you transverse the region but those little extra areas are really cool. And then there's the awesome, an IMO the best, union cave with not 1, not 2 but 3 paths you can take after you pass it the 1st time and everyone remembers the park's secret passage to get dig. gen 2's kanto might suck in terms of extra content (and it really does, locking awesome johto pokemon like houndour in kanto is not extra content) but johto has quite a bit of secrets. Even gen 1 had you go back to route 2 on the other side of the wall, after you get cut. Hoenn had the mach/acro bike sections and the river paths. But gen 4 has the most hidden secret areas and i would like the remakes to follow HGSS's path and add those little differences that we might even not notice because we think the path is a certain way. Gen 6 was really poor in these things. All i can remember is the trainer and sharp beak(?) locked behind cut trees in route 5 as well as other items behind cut trees and aerial ace or shadow claw locked behind a strength rock and also the surf paths but it was really poor in this matter. But they did a good job with the remakes so far so i'm sure they will continue this way. I really want to see how they do the abandoned ship, route 111 and the safari zone. Speaking of which i don't care if pokeblocks return but don't make them being used on safari zone.

Anyone remembers the glitched trainers? the ledge jumper aroma lady rose east from mawville and fence jumper gentleman walter west of lillicove? I never knew there was a ghost tuber Charlie in the abandoned ship too. I always remember those 2.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire

Aside from Blue in FRLG, I never had a problem in battling anyone the post-Gameboy era (Gen I & II) so I don't see how Pokémon was "idiotproofed" in Gen V. In fact, I'd argue they've been "idiot proofing" the games since Gen III.

However, with Gen VI, I will agree with you since it was unnecessarily easy*. The "Hard Mode" should relate to AI not levels.

*That's not the fault of the new exp. share though. Just because I would have to swap my pokémon's places so it could gain exp. pre-Gen VI didn't make those games harder, it made them more tedious. I enjoy having them leveled due to the exp.share as it allows me the option to switch positions and not do it because "ok, now I need to get my Seadra to level 56 so *switch*".

NotABeginningTrainer

As long as it isnt voltorb flip with actual useful rewards...seriously no more voltorb flip...
I seriously don't get what was so bad about voltorb flip. Was it just because you actually had to play the game and couldn't just buy your coins? Voltorb Flip was actually pretty fun for me. It actually had some strategy to it. (unlike the slots and roulette in previous game corners.)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Aside from Blue in FRLG, I never had a problem in battling anyone the post-Gameboy era (Gen I & II) so I don't see how Pokémon was "idiotproofed" in Gen V. In fact, I'd argue they've been "idiot proofing" the games since Gen III.

Team sizes are the most noteworthy difference in terms of battling, ever since 5th gen they've been putting limits on the number of Pokemon other trainers use, you almost never see any trainer use more than 3 Pokemon, all of the gym leaders use 3 (except for the first two which only use 2), rivals never use more than 4 or 5 (except for post game rematches), and the Elite 4 only uses 4.

But speaking more generally, the region design also became idiotproof in 5th gen as well, all of the regions are rigidly linear, the game always tells you where to go next instead of you having the option to find your own way, there's no more alternate paths and very little backtracking or optional areas.

They're just putting all kinds of unnecessary restrictions on the game design for the purpose of making it "kid friendly", the games never really needed to be easier in the first place.

*That's not the fault of the new exp. share though. Just because I would have to swap my pokémon's places so it could gain exp. pre-Gen VI didn't make those games harder, it made them more tedious. I enjoy having them leveled due to the exp.share as it allows me the option to switch positions and not do it because "ok, now I need to get my Seadra to level 56 so *switch*".

No, the Exp. Share is definitely to blame, because the way it works in this game is that all of your team gets the same amount of EXP as the Pokemon that defeated the Pokemon. So in essence you're leveling up 6 times as fast. So it had a very tangible effect on the pacing because you were leveling up ridiculously fast in the game.

NotABeginningTrainer

No, the Exp. Share is definitely to blame, because the way it works in this game is that all of your team gets the same amount of EXP as the Pokemon that defeated the Pokemon. So in essence you're leveling up 6 times as fast. So it had a very tangible effect on the pacing because you were leveling up ridiculously fast in the game.
Although the Exp. share definitely makes the game easier, you can't blame it for making the game too easy. It seems most of the people who say it was too easy kept it on the whole game. You can't blame the game if you're using a leveling crutch the whole time. I turned the Exp. Share off pretty soon after getting it. It's fine to criticize the in-game teams but using the Exp. Share is the individual person's choice.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Team sizes are the most noteworthy difference in terms of battling, ever since 5th gen they've been putting limits on the number of Pokemon other trainers use, you almost never see any trainer use more than 3 Pokemon, all of the gym leaders use 3 (except for the first two which only use 2), rivals never use more than 4 or 5 (except for post game rematches), and the Elite 4 only uses 4.

But speaking more generally, the region design also became idiotproof in 5th gen as well, all of the regions are rigidly linear, the game always tells you where to go next instead of you having the option to find your own way, there's no more alternate paths and very little backtracking or optional areas.

They're just putting all kinds of unnecessary restrictions on the game design for the purpose of making it "kid friendly", the games never really needed to be easier in the first place.

Teams sizes I'll give you but what difference does it make when the other pokémon in a CPU's party is a repeat? "Oh man, that second pidgey almost floored me!" said no one ever.

The game has always told you where to go, I don't understand this notion that the games were any more explorable prior to Gen V. It really wasn't. Did everyone forget the angry thirsty guards that blocked your path as well as the Snorlax(s) in the Kanto saga? Not to mention some places requiring HMs to get to... It's always been a linear game.

They're not making it "kid friendly", they're making it "consumer friendly". They said they brought in all these things because they feel people today don't have as much time to do stuff. Blame Apple for making this world completely have ADD.

No, it really isn't to blame since it's an optional tool that people decided to complain about instead of, you know, turning it off?

Besides, it actually makes absolutely no difference. Know why I can say that? I hoarded Exp. Shares in my W2 and gave them to each of my party pokémon and I never once felt it having a negative effect on the pacing. It was just a smoother experience because I didn't have to waste time swapping out some under leveled pokémon to get experience just because they decided to give them to us near the end of the game.

The truth is that XY was just a poor game period. The story was weak, the battles were easy and there was little to any post game content. If it wasn't for it being in ~3D~, people wouldn't rate it as high.

Digitalkaiser65

Dark Master
I think the temptation of having the exp share in your inventory is whats the problem, plus it is given to you turned on so you have to go and turn it OFF.
I think the problem with X and Y was that it was just a short/easy game to begin with. It was more basic then even red and blue to these eyes, and a feature like the exp share as how it was in this game just was NOT needed for this game.

Now, if we got exp share in platinum, that would be a different story! I consider platinum one of the hardest games in the series next to b2/w2!

Status
Not open for further replies.