• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akashin

It's beautiful because they made it look good, but it's awful navigation wise with hinders it's replay value. It's like tossing glitter dust to a puddle, it looks nice but it's just a shallow puddle in the end.

In what way is it bad in terms of navigation? They remedied the tiresome backtracking from Lavaridge to Petalburg and from Petalburg back to Mauville, so unless you're talking about the Surfing (which is also considerably better, I thought, if only because the DexNav makes coordinating easier) I'm not sure what about Hoenn makes navigating it any worse than say Sinnoh.

shadowF

I don't know if anyone has found him yet but, is your apprentice at the BAttle Resort or Maison?? The demo dumps found some of his text, I haven't heard anything about him since

I believe the text were for Felix and Co. we don't get apprentice in these games.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
It's beautiful because they made it look good, but it's awful navigation wise with hinders it's replay value. It's like tossing glitter dust to a puddle, it looks nice but it's just a shallow puddle in the end.

What exactly do you mean by "it's awful navigation wise"? The sea routes? Because if so, that's something that many people should've made peace with by now in my opinion. :x

Disaster_Lord

Sad Bayleef is Sad.
In what way is it bad in terms of navigation? They remedied the tiresome backtracking from Lavaridge to Petalburg and from Petalburg back to Mauville, so unless you're talking about the Surfing (which is also considerably better, I thought, if only because the DexNav makes coordinating easier) I'm not sure what about Hoenn makes navigating it any worse than say Sinnoh.

There is no "worse than sinnoh" bro that takes the cake and eats it. What I meant with navigation issues, surfing jokes aside, is that for a bug part that hoenn suffers from the daimao route layout, where convoluted areas are just used as connections to landmarks and offer little to not relevance team building wise or lack real relevance other than looking good(Don't get me wrong Kanno runs on this) but given its remake status few changes where done to alleviate this mess, don't get me wrong I spent nearly 2 hours per route getting my DexNav to at least 50 on each species and backtracked on it when new HM's where available, but they where still bland places that only looked good. Then we enter the middle and the bland distribution tools a small boost and then goes rock bottom near the end game, I must say nat dex alleviated this after the WINGUL fest before the e4, since if you backtracked a bit several routes now had small bons and perks added to them in the last mile, I liked that part and unlike previous hoenn rush I actually loved filling my DexNav again.

Flying was always our warp mechanic in these games and the main reason why the regional birds where always appreciated on main game teams, Hoenn gives you access to fly after the 6th badge with is in the middle of the colectionist boost I talked beforehand, this is the game with gives you access to the warp mechanic the latest in the series if I recall, and it is done after the point in which most teams are stabilised, after this point warping to previous places becomes a collectors commodity or the stuff you do during the submarine hijack to most since new Mauville became post 8th gym in this installment. Don't get me wrong flying to routes is appreciated specially in this surfing fest, and I hope it becomes a staple in new games, but it's still in diapers and hoenn doesn't help in the crash test period. So is Soaring as an alternate pee Wallace gym allowing us for the first time to drop our flying pokemon without repercussion in the game allowing us more diversity mid matter unlock, that feature alone almost makes me want to do a whole new plethora of self imposed rerun challenges, specially if it returns on a new installment or remakes... Yet feels still lackluster in hoenn. But Mann I'll give you that this things are a huge improvement.

I still hold my point tough on hoenn being my second least favorite region design and first walk-through wise, yet I'm seeing the features this game brings detached from the region they where bound at and I'm in love with them hoping they return in regions that bring them justice and don't get forgotten like walking with your pokemon(pointless but fun) among other. As I was saying this game will reward you in a similar way to bagon/spheal in the originals, as if you stall the endgame a bit you might get a good team coming, yet they way the remakes where played kind off make you rush trough it making you lose the new hidden gems.

There we go I loathe hoenn region I love the new features. All hail tutors and endless breeding track!!!

Drey

Does anyone know how many pokemon are in this game that weren't in XY?
Just curious how many new hidden abilities I can find now.

I really hope the next games have some real post game content. I really can't call it post game content if I finished it in an hour. The only thing worse than having maison again is having to start from 0bp and 0 friendship. Wish we could transfer those over...

Oh well, guess I'll have to get diggersby, kang
a etc used to their step dad.

Out of sheer boredom, I was thinking of some real content you could call post game. Something like a dungeon crawler, where it had multiple floors with scaling prizes and difficulty. Cause everyone knows you can play those forever.

You would walk around looking for the stairs for the next floor while at the same time battling trainers/wild dungeon mons and looking for items.

This could be a way to give us coveted and hard to get items, like pp up/max, stones (**** super training) Throw nuggets and other sellable items in there and we have a way to efficiently farm money.

The higher the floor, the more the scenery could change, and the music could change depending on the floors. Being able to choose scenery and music would be cool too. How do they change scenery? Idk, pokemon technology. This is all a virtual reality with real items we threw in.

I only thought of this because when I went to battle resort, a women would change the music to 1 of 4 songs. Wish we could do this for regular battles and other areas. What I would to have meteor falls music playing outside, but every battle is maxie/archie battle. (Radio app where)

Maison doesn't even let you use that song, so I'm forced to listen to the rival battle theme which thankfully was actually pretty good this time around. You can play maxie theme on wifi battles, but 3v3 is no fun, and it's too hard to find a 6v6. When you do, their team is on average level 30s, or some kid with all legendaries and no items, because legendaries are the best, and what are items.

Anyway, this idea might just be fueled by some pmd/battle pyramid love, but I think it would he pretty cool to have. If they add more options, it could be the adventure mode we all wanted. Examples being a mode where you catch pokemon yourself in the dungeon and train them throughout it. If you didn't catch them early, level them and stick with them, you would fall behind. The pokemon you find to catch can be literally random, which only adds to the fun.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Assuming that you transferred over every past gen HA from Bank, the only new HA is Skrelp, which is Omega Ruby exclusive. But if you're not counting transfer, then you should check out this link:

http://www.serebii.net/games/hiddenabilityaccess.shtml

I really hope the next games have some real post game content. I really can't call it post game content if I finished it in an hour. The only thing worse than having maison again is having to start from 0bp and 0 friendship. Wish we could transfer those over...

Indeed, post game content has decreased this gen. Sadly I think it has to do with the 3D graphics, they're spending more time on the games' graphics which gives them less time to work on other stuff.

Last edited:

blob

Where is the money? The game expects you to have 100,000+ Dollars by the time you reach Mauville, yet most trainers I fight give you less than 1000. How am I supposed to make money? What's more, is that my Pokémon are already over leveled and I'm worried that the E4 will be beaten with real ease. What happened to difficulty?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Where is the money? The game expects you to have 100,000+ Dollars by the time you reach Mauville, yet most trainers I fight give you less than 1000. How am I supposed to make money?

Trainer Eyes

You'd be surprised by how much you can rack up just by battling Lady Cindy & Rich Boy Winston over and over.

blob

Trainer Eyes

You'd be surprised by how much you can rack up just by battling Lady Cindy & Rich Boy Winston over and over.

I know, but I just said about how over leveled I am. It's like I'm going to have to train my HM slaves or something... It also doesn't help that contests work the same way as PokéMonAmi. I hate getting boosted EXP. Next time, I'm using Meowth.

Indeed, post game content has decreased this gen. Sadly I think it has to do with the 3D graphics, they're spending more time on the games' graphics which gives them less time to work on other stuff.

I think they're spending more time on style and costumes and re-designing the region than post-game content. The Trainer Card levels are lazy, I'd rather have the Battle Chateau back than the Battle Maison, giving us most Legendaries post-game is lazy and just makes me think GF don't care anymore. They probably put all of their effort into B2W2 and gave up on 6th gen altogether.

I don't think 3D graphics have anything to do with it, as it was GFs choice to re-design the Hoenn Region and make it take place 10 years later. They could have just copied Mauville from RSE, but in 3D and left it at that. They also could have made Maxie and Archie and all of the Grunts and Admins look like they did in RSE, but they didn't. It's just about looks and fashion now and how they can make everything stylish, but with no real substance to it.
Most of the big changes don't even matter anyway. Who cares about that Contest rivalry? Who cares about the Contest Pikachu? Who cares about most of the supporting cast re-designs? Who cares that it's 10 years later somehow? I don't really need any of that stuff. I also don't want to feel forced into playing a Pokémon game, like XY and ORAS do. It's like the game forces you to do certain things, because GF expects you to want to do them for no real reason. I'd rather just play the game and have some nice post-game content, which isn't too plot-driven.

Guys and gals, in the realm of video game development different teams work on different things. The people who work on graphics/design don't work on content/storyboard, etc. Unless you know for sure that this isn't the case please don't chalk it up to laziness and rushing. It's not helping drive discussion.

I think part of the real issue of content is that Pokemon has become a yearly release game and that because of this, I'm sure GF feels that they only have to make so much content to hold us over and hopefully satisfy our desires until the next game comes out. See other annual games for reference. If there isn't a newer game announced this Spring, due out this Fall/Winter I'd be surprised.

Akashin

I don't think 3D graphics have anything to do with it, as it was GFs choice to re-design the Hoenn Region and make it take place 10 years later. They could have just copied Mauville from RSE, but in 3D and left it at that. They also could have made Maxie and Archie and all of the Grunts and Admins look like they did in RSE, but they didn't. It's just about looks and fashion now and how they can make everything stylish, but with no real substance to it.
Most of the big changes don't even matter anyway. Who cares about that Contest rivalry? Who cares about the Contest Pikachu? Who cares about most of the supporting cast re-designs? Who cares that it's 10 years later somehow? I don't really need any of that stuff. I also don't want to feel forced into playing a Pokémon game, like XY and ORAS do. It's like the game forces you to do certain things, because GF expects you to want to do them for no real reason. I'd rather just play the game and have some nice post-game content, which isn't too plot-driven.

Please, enlighten me as to how exactly you feel forced to do anything. You're by no means forced to play this game (I'm sure that you could have not bought this game and been able to look out your window the following morning without seeing the world covered in flames), and the game doesn't force you to do anything any more than any other Pokemon game does (less actually, seeing as the combination of Soaring and getting the National Dex early means you're not pushed to beat the E4 before being set free to truly do whatever you want). I'm genuinely curious as to what your point here is, because frankly I can't see any whatsoever.

blob

All Starters not available in XY.
Most Legendaries are available, bar the Bird trio, Mewtwo, Kalos-only and most Event-only Legendaries.
Rattata
Raticate
Cleffa (Breed only in XYORAS)
Clefairy*
Clefable
Vulpix (Breed only in XY)
Ninetales*
Venonat (Breed only in XYORAS)
Venomoth*
Meowth (Breed only in ORAS)
Persian
Seel (Breed only in XY)
Dewgong*
Grimer (Breed only in XY)
Muk*
Koffing
Weezing
Happiny (Breed only in XY)
Chansey*
Blissey
Porygon
Porygon2
Porygon-Z
Natu (Breed only in XYORAS)
Xatu*
Misdreavus
Mismagius
Unown**
Pineco (Breed only in XYORAS)
Forretress*
Stantler
Wurmple (Breed only in XY)
Silcoon (Breed only in XY)
Beautifly*
Cascoon*
Dustox
Seedot (Breed only in XY)
Nuzleaf*
Shiftry
Shroomish (Breed only in XY)
Breloom*
Slakoth
Vigoroth
Slaking
Numel (Breed only in XY)
Camerupt*
Cacnea (Breed only in XY)
Cacturne*
Baltoy
Claydol
Feebas
Milotic
Castform
Duskull (Breed only in XY)
Dusclops*
Dusknoir
Beldum (Breed only in XY)
Metang*
Metagross
Kricketot (Breed only in ORAS)
Kricketune
Shinx (Breed only in XYORAS)
Luxio*
Luxray
Cherubi (Breed only in ORAS)
Cherrim
Shellos (Breed only in XY)
Gastrodon*
Buneary
Lopunny
Glameow
Purugly
Finneon
Lumineon
Pidove (Breed only in XY)
Tranquil*
Unfezant
Blitzle (Breed only in XYORAS)
Zebstrika*
Drilbur (Breed only in XYORAS)
Excadrill* **
Tympole (Breed only in XY)
Palpitoad*
Seismitoad
Sewaddle (Breed only in XY)
Swadloon*
Leavanny
Cottonee
Whimsicott
Darumaka (Breed only in ORAS)
Darmanitan
Yamask (Breed only in ORAS)
Cofagrigus**
Deerling
Sawsbuck*
Frillish
Jellicent
Joltik (Breed only in XY)
Galvantula*
Klink** (Breed only in XY)
Klang*
Klinklang
Tynamo**
Eelektrik
Eelektross
Elgyem
Beheeyem
Bouffalant

* = Friend Safari only in XY
** = Mirage Areas only in ORAS
Most can be found in their base forms, unless stated otherwise.

Please, enlighten me as to how exactly you feel forced to do anything. You're by no means forced to play this game (I'm sure that you could have not bought this game and been able to look out your window the following morning without seeing the world covered in flames), and the game doesn't force you to do anything any more than any other Pokemon game does (less actually, seeing as the combination of Soaring and getting the National Dex early means you're not pushed to beat the E4 before being set free to truly do whatever you want). I'm genuinely curious as to what your point here is, because frankly I can't see any whatsoever.

I just mean that I'm forced to watch that one Altaria woman do the contest stuff and watch myself change every time I do a contest. Before stuff would just be done, but now it takes a while. I also have to see all of the closeups of the ugly 3D models and stuff and I'm just not interested in it. You also get stopped more, which I find annoying.

You can really tell how much longer interactions take when you looked at the RS vs. ORAS trailers.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Guys and gals, in the realm of video game development different teams work on different things. The people who work on graphics/design don't work on content/storyboard, etc. Unless you know for sure that this isn't the case please don't chalk it up to laziness and rushing. It's not helping drive discussion.

I think part of the real issue of content is that Pokemon has become a yearly release game and that because of this, I'm sure GF feels that they only have to make so much content to hold us over and hopefully satisfy our desires until the next game comes out. See other annual games for reference. If there isn't a newer game announced this Spring, due out this Fall/Winter I'd be surprised.

Pokemon hasn't become any more annualized than it used to be though, it only feels like it to us because Game Freak's last break was when they started moving towards a worldwide release (in 2011, in between BW1 and BW2).

blob

Well that's because there'd usually be side games to tide us over. Back in 3rd and 4th gens, there were a lot of side games being made. Now it's only about one a year and most are pretty sub-par.

BurningWhiteKyurem

Now I'm interested in hacking solely to see how much GB the content took, and whether it was possible to go past the 2GB limit that (IIRC) is imposed by Nintendo. If it is possible, that's the ultimate proof that GF was lazy. But again, that depends entirely on how much space the content takes up.

Akashin

I just mean that I'm forced to watch that one Altaria woman do the contest stuff and watch myself change every time I do a contest. Before stuff would just be done, but now it takes a while. I also have to see all of the closeups of the ugly 3D models and stuff and I'm just not interested in it. You also get stopped more, which I find annoying.

You can really tell how much longer interactions take when you looked at the RS vs. ORAS trailers.

And once upon a time we could just walk through a doorway without having to wait to see the door open; it's how progression of graphics and detail works.

But I'll leave it at that, because honestly I have so little grasp of what exactly the issue is that I doubt my ability to properly debate it.

blob

Now I'm interested in hacking solely to see how much GB the content took, and whether it was possible to go past the 2GB limit that (IIRC) is imposed by Nintendo. If it is possible, that's the ultimate proof that GF was lazy. But again, that depends entirely on how much space the content takes up.

Isn't the game only 1.8GB? They're still 200 MB short. BTW, XY took up slightly less.

Last edited:

MetalKing1417

Legend Seeker
Out of sheer boredom, I was thinking of some real content you could call post game. Something like a dungeon crawler, where it had multiple floors with scaling prizes and difficulty. Cause everyone knows you can play those forever.

You would walk around looking for the stairs for the next floor while at the same time battling trainers/wild dungeon mons and looking for items.

This could be a way to give us coveted and hard to get items, like pp up/max, stones (**** super training) Throw nuggets and other sellable items in there and we have a way to efficiently farm money.

The higher the floor, the more the scenery could change, and the music could change depending on the floors. Being able to choose scenery and music would be cool too. How do they change scenery? Idk, pokemon technology. This is all a virtual reality with real items we threw in.

I only thought of this because when I went to battle resort, a women would change the music to 1 of 4 songs. Wish we could do this for regular battles and other areas. What I would to have meteor falls music playing outside, but every battle is maxie/archie battle. (Radio app where)

Maison doesn't even let you use that song, so I'm forced to listen to the rival battle theme which thankfully was actually pretty good this time around. You can play maxie theme on wifi battles, but 3v3 is no fun, and it's too hard to find a 6v6. When you do, their team is on average level 30s, or some kid with all legendaries and no items, because legendaries are the best, and what are items.

Anyway, this idea might just be fueled by some pmd/battle pyramid love, but I think it would he pretty cool to have. If they add more options, it could be the adventure mode we all wanted. Examples being a mode where you catch pokemon yourself in the dungeon and train them throughout it. If you didn't catch them early, level them and stick with them, you would fall behind. The pokemon you find to catch can be literally random, which only adds to the fun.

You mean like the Black Scyscraper and white Tree in Black and white 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.