• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
And we are still in the time where nintendo is promoting heavily those games,Ex: the nintendo promotion to get a free game, Pokemon events , Tourneys, so BF returning is still possible, a lot of holes in the games are still open to and not fully explained(volcanion, hoopa, etc) we can still expect some more surprises guys just saying.

And we are still in the time where nintendo is promoting heavily those games, Ex: The nintendo promotion to get a free game if you register oras and a 3ds in club nintendo, lot of Pokemon events ,Official Tourneys, so BF returning is still possible, a lot of holes in the games are still open to and not fully explained by official sources yet (Volcanion, Hoopa, etc) we can still expect some more surprises guys just saying.

sorry for my double reply it was a mistake of mine (im using my 3ds XD)

It's possible, but unlike any of those events, Masuda flat out said that he felt that the people playing the games aren't interested in the Battle Frontier due to it being too hard and time consuming. Due to that, I don't think GF has any interest in putting it in these games.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
That still comes off as odd to me. It was a highlight feature of Old!Hoenn, and part of the selling point for these types of games is taking us back.

IDK, I would feel similar if Contests were gone because Battles are a bigger draw for people or something like that. That doesn't necessarily mean that its not worth the effort of bringing back the complete experience of the region.

It's kind of a shame that the decline of Post-Game Battle Facilities has to start with the place that really got them moving...Provided their direction continues like this, that is.

Last edited:

Krishnath

Dragon Lord
I still don't get it. It was a highlight feature of Old!Hoenn, and part of the selling point for these types of games is taking us back.

IDK, I would feel similar if Contests were gone because Battles are a bigger draw for people or something like that. That doesn't necessarily mean that its not worth the effort of bringing back the complete experience of the region.

It's kind of a shame that the decline of Post-Game Battle Facilities has to start with the place that really got them moving...Provided their direction continues like this, that is.

I dunno man, I preferred the contests over the Battle Frontier back then. But then again, I had next to no knowledge of EV training and Natures back then either, so that may have colored my perceptions.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It's possible, but unlike any of those events, Masuda flat out said that he felt that the people playing the games aren't interested in the Battle Frontier due to it being too hard and time consuming. Due to that, I don't think GF has any interest in putting it in these games.

Exactly. From Masuda's comments it seems like they have no interest in putting any effort into battle facilities. At this point we're probably just going to get Battle Tower/Subway/Maison clones from now until the series ends (or at least until Game Freak regains their sanity).

Not just the battle facilities, it seems like post game as a whole is on the decline. XY's was absolutely pitiful with almost nothing to do, and in ORAS they basically just shoehorned in Pokemon on tiny islands and added in a post game story arc. It doesn't seem like they're putting a lot of effort into the content lately, they're just making the games as minimalist as possible.

TheDragonKing

King of dragons
Not just the battle facilities, it seems like post game as a whole is on the decline. XY's was absolutely pitiful with almost nothing to do, and in ORAS they basically just shoehorned in Pokemon on tiny islands and added in a post game story arc. It doesn't seem like they're putting a lot of effort into the content lately, they're just making the games as minimalist as possible.

I agree wholeheartedly. I spent barely a month on AS because the post game (outside of Delta Episode) is basically exactly like XY's. I have a fully trained team geared for (somewhat) competitive battles, and the Maison is starting to grind my gears. The only thing I haven't done yet is capture all the legendaries in the Mirage Spots, and my excuse not to is because I've been preoccupied with Christmas and the new distractions I've recieved. I remember the days of gen 4 and even gen 5 where the post game was a lengthy affair, with new areas (Fight Area, east Unova) and unique challenges. I have found no such thing this gen, which disappoints me.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
I find it more jarring for Hoenn than Kalos tbh. Its a lame "tradition" (and I do hope it ends at some point...), but the first pair of games will typically have a weaker post-game than what comes after, and even immediately prior. The remakes and expanded games on the other hand had more or less set a standard for greater post-game adventures in addition to the main adventure, especially HGSS's Johto/Kanto.

Another reason why I can...Sort of...Overlook the weaker post-game with Kalos is because its a completely fresh experience. The 3D, the region itself, trainer clothing, PSS/Online, Competitive Pokemon being more accessible...All of that and a few other features kept me coming back to X throughout the year, personally.

As much as I like the region, I sometimes wonder where to go next for exploring and the like since I've mostly been here before. Unlike say, FRLG's Sevii Islands, or HGSS pouring out buckets of content in locations old and new.

I think the Mirage Spots were a cool idea, but I keep getting the same islands and the same handful Pokemon whenever I go to them...

Last edited:

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Let's list all the post-game content:

XY had:
- Looker's Detective Agency
- Mega Stone Hunt
- Legendary Hunt (Legendary Bird, Mewtwo, Zygarde)
- Shauna gives you a Gen 6 starter.
- Serena and Essentia Daily Battle
- Sushi High Roller
- Kiloude City
--- Battle Maison
--- Friend Safari

ORAS had:
- Delta Episode
- Legendary Hunt (The rest of non-event Legends)
- Prof. Birch gives you Gen 2, 4, and 5 starters.
- Wally Daily Battle
- Battle Resort
--- Battle Maison (copy-paste)
--- Move Tutors
- Mirage Islands

I think they're pretty much equal.

Grey Wind

I don't think a list like that is really a good way to measure post game... like you're putting the legendary hunts on the same level when XY has three and ORAS has like twenty, and the Mirage Islands are a pretty sizeable side quest and aren't really comparable to the likes of the Shauna trade. Also you forgot the E4 rematch and food court for the ORAS list.

I don't think either game have great post games tbh. I wonder what's with the aversion they've had for post game areas for the last two games.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
if they went back to including good post-games, there'd be enough content for you to still be playing through that game by the time the next game released

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don't think a list like that is really a good way to measure post game... like you're putting the legendary hunts on the same level when XY has three and ORAS has like twenty, and the Mirage Islands are a pretty sizeable side quest and aren't really comparable to the likes of the Shauna trade. Also you forgot the E4 rematch and food court for the ORAS list.

Yeah, some post game activities are more lengthy than others. I think the lack of full post game routes really hurts both games in particular, exploring new areas is a fairly time consuming activity and they bring more wild Pokemon and trainers along with them. The lack of a Battle Frontier also hurts ORAS in particular I think.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I was satisfied with FRLG's post game because the Sevii Island offered plenty of opportunities for exploration despite not having a lot of extra features, so I think the number of areas does play a significant part in the post game experience.

I don't think either game have great post games tbh. I wonder what's with the aversion they've had for post game areas for the last two games.

It's probably because of the "kids don't have time for video games" mentality they've been stuck on for the past few games.

if they went back to including good post-games, there'd be enough content for you to still be playing through that game by the time the next game released

That's an exaggeration, it'll probably last a few months, but most people will probably get bored after that.

Last edited:

Boshy

I lot of good points here, but the thing is about the postgame in oras even if gamefreak was doing the Battle Frontier as a secret dlc , they probably would never tell in a interview or recuse to talk about it, also according to the junichi masuda answer in simple words he tell us we will never get the BF even in the future games because its to hard for the new generation players , he may have a good point but what about those old fans that are pokemon masters by now, and know a lot about competitive they are especially the ones that buy their game always and if they even never make something that older fans cant enjoy that is just sad, BF was amazing and had that festive ambient where everyone could enjoy and have a good time, and thus i dont like the maison.

Grey Wind

It's probably because of the "kids don't have time for video games" mentality they've been stuck on for the past few games.

Idk, I can see that argument being made for stuff like the BF (sort of...), but new routes/areas aren't anywhere near that level. I agree with what you said though, new areas are something that should be a staple for the post-game (and one of the things that made DP's post game so enjoyable) and it's disappointing that they've all but cut them out.

I don't really miss the BF tho if I'm being honest, the Emerald facilities in particular weren't that interesting IMO. I'd have preferred something along the lines of the PWT (not necessarily with the characters, but the format was something that I enjoyed) or something like Black Tower/White Treehollow.

HM02gon

Waiting...
Idk, I can see that argument being made for stuff like the BF (sort of...), but new routes/areas aren't anywhere near that level. I agree with what you said though, new areas are something that should be a staple for the post-game (and one of the things that made DP's post game so enjoyable) and it's disappointing that they've all but cut them out.

I don't really miss the BF tho if I'm being honest, the Emerald facilities in particular weren't that interesting IMO. I'd have preferred something along the lines of the PWT (not necessarily with the characters, but the format was something that I enjoyed) or something like Black Tower/White Treehollow.

Black city/White forest was probably my favorite part in gen 5's post game due to the fact that you found actually win it with your in game team and not have to go breed a perfect team in order to win. GF may be saying that kids don't have time for games, but frankly the most time consuming thing that I can think of is IV breeding and leveling up.

I would like a post game that's not a battle facility, but more like an exploring area, or something like Pokeathalon.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

No, it makes sense under that logic. Because if kids don't have time for video games anymore, they won't have time for anything extra, so they would need to make as little extra content as possible.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

Yes, a simple list like that is not a good way to measure each game's post-game.
I should have elaborated more. I was too lazy at the time to explain my points.

Anyway, here's what I said why XY and HGSS' post-game are pretty much equal, in my opinion.

Both games gave us post-game storylines. The main difference is that ORAS has more depth, background, and is more tied to the region's lore. ORAS is more awesome in that regard, but the length is pretty much the same. Looker's sidequest just happened to be divided into different chapters, while Zinnia's is continuous.

It is true that ORAS gave us a huge amount of legendaries to catch, but consider the circumstances at the time of XY. Mega Stones are more of a thing. Those stones are considered special, compared to Legendaries with you can simply trade/transfer at the time. Hunting for Mega stones offer more challenge since we're given a time constraint and these things are really hard to find.

The Battle Maison is an original concept from XY which was just copy-pasted to ORAS (just like DPPt's Frontier in HGSS).

ORAS has Elite Four rematches. XY has rematches too (with Gym leaders as well), although implemented poorly.

Friend Safari offers a wider array of Pokemon compared to the very limited selection on Mirage Islands.

But after we're done with all these sidequests/side features, we're pretty much stuck with the same stuff. ORAS just happened to have contests and secret bases.

DotKU

Champion
Yes, a simple list like that is not a good way to measure each game's post-game.
I should have elaborated more. I was too lazy at the time to explain my points.

Anyway, here's what I said why XY and HGSS' post-game are pretty much equal, in my opinion.

Both games gave us post-game storylines. The main difference is that ORAS has more depth, background, and is more tied to the region's lore. ORAS is more awesome in that regard, but the length is pretty much the same. Looker's sidequest just happened to be divided into different chapters, while Zinnia's is continuous.

It is true that ORAS gave us a huge amount of legendaries to catch, but consider the circumstances at the time of XY. Mega Stones are more of a thing. Those stones are considered special, compared to Legendaries with you can simply trade/transfer at the time. Hunting for Mega stones offer more challenge since we're given a time constraint and these things are really hard to find.

The Battle Maison is an original concept from XY which was just copy-pasted to ORAS (just like DPPt's Frontier in HGSS).

ORAS has Elite Four rematches. XY has rematches too (with Gym leaders as well), although implemented poorly.

Friend Safari offers a wider array of Pokemon compared to the very limited selection on Mirage Islands.

But after we're done with all these sidequests/side features, we're pretty much stuck with the same stuff. ORAS just happened to have contests and secret bases.

Wait really? The only one that comes into mind is the Korrrina Successor battle but even then calling that a rematch is a stretch.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Wait really? The only one that comes into mind is the Korrrina Successor battle but even then calling that a rematch is a stretch.

We can battle them again at the Chateau. Idk why Hoenn Gym Leaders got snubbed out of rematches in OR/AS excluding Wallace.

DotKU

Champion
We can battle them again at the Chateau. Idk why Hoenn Gym Leaders got snubbed out of rematches in OR/AS excluding Wallace.

Wow, cant believe I didn't know that lol :p
Yeah Idk why they didnt implement the Match Call feature from Emerald into ORAS

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The Battle Chateau rematches were terrible anyway. They actually had even less Pokemon than they did in the first battle (they're limited to 2 Pokemon), which practically defeats the purpose of rematching them. We haven't had full gym leader rematches since HGSS which is kind of sad. I want to fight them with full teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.