• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

Won't people be more interested in buying the games if both Trainer Customization and Soaring are included

Except that neither of these is going to have any measurable effect on sales. Case in point, there was no trainer customization in OR/AS and you would be exceedingly hard pressed to prove that anyone didn't buy the game for that sole reason.

NotABeginningTrainer

It probably wouldn't have been able to fit into the game's cartridge/file

I don't think so. If space on the cartridge was the sole problem then they likely would have said that. What they said was there were too many casual gamers who wouldn't be interested in the Battle Frontier because it's too hard. It's a pretty crappy reason from our standpoint, but it is what it is.

Does anyone know how big ORAS were? I know the limit for an eShop download is 2GB, but I don't know how close the games were to that.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I highly, highly doubt Soaring is going to show up in the next game, especially considering that Hoenn has very few unique features (it shares a lot of them with Sinnoh). Now if there's anything from ORAS they should bring back in a future game, it's the DexNav. The DexNav ties into the core gameplay, and it's something they can easily work into other regions through similar devices like the Pokeradar.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Now if there's anything from ORAS they should bring back in a future game, it's the DexNav. The DexNav ties into the core gameplay, and it's something they can easily work into other regions through similar devices like the Pokeradar.

That I could totally see and would enjoy. I don't know if the "creep walk" would be brought back though as far as animations and controls go (XY had roller skates from the joy stick, so that would probably be brought back in the potential Z), but definitely I could see the concept of the DexNav brought back, as you've noted, in a capacity similar to the Pokeradar.

NotABeginningTrainer

That I could totally see and would enjoy. I don't know if the "creep walk" would be brought back though as far as animations and controls go (XY had roller skates from the joy stick, so that would probably be brought back in the potential Z), but definitely I could see the concept of the DexNav brought back, as you've noted, in a capacity similar to the Pokeradar.

I wouldn't say the creep walk can't appear in Z/X2Y2. They could bring a toggle creep/rollerskate button like they had for running in HGSS.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
I wouldn't say the creep walk can't appear in Z/X2Y2. They could bring a toggle creep/rollerskate button like they had for running in HGSS.

I think that would probably make the most sense.
It would be pointless for them to make all the effort to finally give us the roller skates (the roller skates they've wanted to give us since Gen I, or was it Gen II?) only to scrap them in any potential Kalos sequel.

Creyk

What many of you wrote about each region having it's own special thing is so interesting. However it also made me wonder, what is it for the other regions, we have:
Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos.
So Hoenn is all about exploring nature and now soaring is it's exclusive feature, and also kind of contests since they are different in sinnoh.
Kalos has fashion and that movie recording thing
Sinnoh has those underground maze games and headbutting trees, Unova has those pokemon shows (musicals?) and the double battles in wild
What is Kanto's and Johto's unique thing?
I guess in G/S/C the coolest thing about it was that it was a joint region with Kanto so you could actually go to 2 places within one game. But are there any other unique parts about each region?

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
What many of you wrote about each region having it's own special thing is so interesting. However it also made me wonder, what is it for the other regions, we have:
So Hoenn is all about exploring nature and now soaring is it's exclusive feature, and also kind of contests since they are different in sinnoh.
Sinnoh has those underground maze games and headbutting trees, Unova has those pokemon shows (musicals?) and the double battles in wild
I guess in G/S/C the coolest thing about it was that it was a joint region with Kanto so you could actually go to 2 places within one game. But are there any other unique parts about each region?

You could make the argument that your Pokémon following behind you in HGSS was considered a "unique" feature of that region.
As for Kanto, I'm not sure.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It

Kanto sort of set the standard for the rest of the games since it was the first generation. I don't say this in a genwummery way (in fact, Kanto and it's games were my least favorite of the series), but it didn't necessarily need a cool "gimmick" as there was no standard with which to judge it.

Akashin

You could make the argument that your Pokémon following behind you in HGSS was considered a "unique" feature of that region.

If you consider FRLG and not just Gen 1, the Sevii Islands could probably be counted (as much as GSC's union with Kanto could be).

I'm not really sure what criteria we're using to determine what a "special thing" in this situation is, though.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
If you consider FRLG and not just Gen 1, the Sevii Islands could probably be counted (as much as GSC's union with Kanto could be).

I'm not really sure what criteria we're using to determine what a "special thing" in this situation is, though.

I did take FRLG into account, and I almost did bring up the Sevii Islands.
However, as you say, I don't really know what standards are being used to measure what qualifies as a "special thing."
I suppose the Sevii Islands are the closest thing Kanto has to a feature distinct from other regions, though.

Creyk

I did take FRLG into account, and I almost did bring up the Sevii Islands.
However, as you say, I don't really know what standards are being used to measure what qualifies as a "special thing."
I suppose the Sevii Islands are the closest thing Kanto has to a feature distinct from other regions, though.

Well, basically any features that are only in one particular game
Like flying battles in Kalos, Soaring in Hoenn, Double battles in the wild in Unova, Pokemon walking beside you in Johto...

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Well, basically any features that are only in one particular game
Like flying battles in Kalos, Soaring in Hoenn, Double battles in the wild in Unova, Pokemon walking beside you in Johto...

If that's the case then, yeah, the Sevii Islands definitely qualify as that.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
IMO, the best thing in Pokemon is found in FRLG Kanto.
And that is the VS Seeker.

DexNav comes second, well to me at least.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It

The VS Seeker, while agreeably really cool, was not exclusive to FRLG. It was also in DPPt, albeit it originated from the Kanto games.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
It's such a shame that the VS Seeker has only appeared in a couple of games, and not the majority of them. It is such a cool and useful feature.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Johto has the Pokeathlon. Also, Johto is the one with headbutting, Sinnoh has the honey trees.

As for Kanto, it really doesn't have much since most of its games haven't really focused on sidequests and extra features (next time we get a Kanto game, they should rectify this). I guess the Trainer House counts, but that's about it.

Vs. Seeker is also in Sinnoh though, so that's not really unique.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
My bad. I totally forgot the VS Seeker was in DPPt.

I guess the pointless Fame Checker and the ground-picked berries instead of berry trees are FRLG Kanto's unique features.

Status
Not open for further replies.