• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
My bad. I totally forgot the VS Seeker was in DPPt.

I guess the pointless Fame Checker and the ground-picked berries instead of berry trees are FRLG Kanto's unique features.

Oh yeah, the Fame Checker. I completely forgot about that thing. With that said, can you really count that as a "unique feature" in the Kanto region? I mean technically yes you can because it is unique to Kanto, but as you say it's such a nothing item that it barely qualifies.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
My bad. I totally forgot the VS Seeker was in DPPt.

I guess the pointless Fame Checker and the ground-picked berries instead of berry trees are FRLG Kanto's unique features.

That's not even Kanto's feature, haha. FR/LG had Pickup table with berries though.

Oh yeah, the Fame Checker. I completely forgot about that thing. With that said, can you really count that as a "unique feature" in the Kanto region? I mean technically yes you can because it is unique to Kanto, but as you say it's such a nothing item that it barely qualifies.
Not to mention, it is just a variant of PokéNav's Match Call.

Last edited:

Flamer

Even Match Call was a better feature, as at least in let you rematch some people in Emerald.

Best thing about Match Call was it let you re-battle the Gym leaders and other important NPCs. Was really hoping that part of it would make a return in ORAS, but no such luck :(

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Best thing about Match Call was it let you re-battle the Gym leaders and other important NPCs. Was really hoping that part of it would make a return in ORAS, but no such luck :(

I was actually really disappointed that the gym leader rematches weren't in ORAS. I get that that was an Emerald function, but still, would it have been that hard to implement as well? I love gym leader rematches and they've been successfully done in many games (including the fellow 6th gen games XY).

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
As a kid I always wondered why the Elite 4 weren't available via Trainer's Eye like the Gym Leaders were, and now its the opposite situation :/ Even though games following offered the option for both...

Real missed opportunity. Especially for poor Watson. The lack of Manectric is disturbing.

Last edited:

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
As a kid I always wondered why the Elite 4 weren't available via Trainer's Eye like the Gym Leaders were, and now its the opposite situation :/ Even though games following offered the option for both...

Real missed opportunity. Especially for poor Watson. The lack of Manectric is disturbing.

The E4 wouldn't need the Trainer's Eyes because you can always just go back in and rematch them anytime. I completely agree with you on the Watson thing though, Manectric suits him much better than Magneton does. They fixed it in Emerald and then messed it up again in ORAS.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
I was actually really disappointed that the gym leader rematches weren't in ORAS. I get that that was an Emerald function, but still, would it have been that hard to implement as well? I love gym leader rematches and they've been successfully done in many games (including the fellow 6th gen games XY).

I both agree and disagree with this. On the one hand, I completely disagree that the Gym Leader rematches in XY were successfully done; battling one or two Gym Leaders within the Battle Chateau doesn't hold a candle to Match Call or HGSS. On the other hand, that sad attempt at Gym Leader rematches in XY is still more than we got in ORAS, so...

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I both agree and disagree with this. On the one hand, I completely disagree that the Gym Leader rematches in XY were successfully done; battling one or two Gym Leaders within the Battle Chateau doesn't hold a candle to Match Call or HGSS. On the other hand, that sad attempt at Gym Leader rematches in XY is still more than we got in ORAS, so...

Well yes, this is very true. Obviously it was a pretty pathetic execution of gym leader rematches (especially compared to Emerald, HGSS, or even Platinum), but still it was better than nothing.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Incorrect, the gym leader rematches were fine and it was better than nothing. That's why ORAS is the worst of the generation, completely neglects anything from Emerald including gym rematches. X and Y will always be the superior games of this generation.

I'm sorry, but I disagree completely. It is very true that some semblance of Gym Leader rematches is better than nothing, and XY outdoes ORAS in that regard. But to call XY superior simply due to Gym Leader rematches (rematches which, I will stress again, are pathetic compared to earlier installments) does not ring true to me at all. All XY has for post-game content is the Looker mission (which doesn't hold a candle to the Delta Episode), the Friend Safari, and the Battle Maison. ORAS has the aforementioned Delta Episode, soaring, multiple Legendaries to catch, new MEga Evolutions, Super Secret Bases, and Contest Spectaculars. ORAS even has the Battle Maison as well, plus the Battle Resort offers more than Kiloude City overall.

Also, you stress that the lack of features from Emerald annoys you, but ORAS wasn't a remake of Emerald, it was a remake of Ruby and Sapphire. Perhaps Game Freak is saving more Emerald features for Delta Emerald/Z, but I'm not going to play theorymon and start guessing what Game Freak is and isn't doing. My point is, this isn't an Emerald remake, it's a Ruby/Sapphire remake.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Incorrect, the gym leader rematches were fine and it was better than nothing. That's why ORAS is the worst of the generation, completely neglects anything from Emerald including gym rematches. X and Y will always be the superior games of this generation.

"Incorrect," "always be superior" according to whom? To you? That's all well and good, but you've yet to produce any documentation as to your authority to declare such things objectively and beyond argument. I'm beginning to suspect you don't possess such license, though that's just a hunch.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I find the mirage islands to be annoying especially Crescent Isle. Every time I want to go to a specific place, it is not there and I have to wait for it to appear for a number of days/weeks.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
I find the mirage islands to be annoying especially Crescent Isle. Every time I want to go to a specific place, it is not there and I have to wait for it to appear for a number of days/weeks.

This is a valid point; the Mirage Islands are a bit annoying at times. If the player was given more control over when and where they appear, (like with the Legendary mirage spots) it might not have been so bad. However, I also think that the Mirage Island's unpredictability harkens back to the original Mirage Island in Ruby/Sapphire, of which these new Mirage Islands are based. It's annoying yes, but it acts as a bit of a shout-out or nod to the originals (I feel, anyway).

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
This is a valid point; the Mirage Islands are a bit annoying at times. If the player was given more control over when and where they appear, (like with the Legendary mirage spots) it might not have been so bad. However, I also think that the Mirage Island's unpredictability harkens back to the original Mirage Island in Ruby/Sapphire, of which these new Mirage Islands are based. It's annoying yes, but it acts as a bit of a shout-out or nod to the originals (I feel, anyway).

I personally didn't find the Mirage Islands to be that annoying; I could usually encounter like half of them simply by using StreetPass.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
I personally didn't find the Mirage Islands to be that annoying; I could usually encounter like half of them simply by using StreetPass.

I think the most annoying aspect of the Mirage Islands for me was the infrequency of the Cresselia Mirage Island in particular.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It

Same here. Even Crescent Isle I found within the first few days of being able to soar via StreetPass. I actually really liked the Mirage Island/Cave/Forest system, even if it did make grabbing the certain TM's found there to be unpredictable because, as it's been said, it pays homage to the original Mirage Island. I also really appreciate how it really expands on that and makes finding any Mirage Spot actually possible to find, unlike the original Mirage Island which many players (myself included) never found in the originals. I think they executed it very well.

rolomite

Same here. Even Crescent Isle I found within the first few days of being able to soar via StreetPass. I actually really liked the Mirage Island/Cave/Forest system, even if it did make grabbing the certain TM's found there to be unpredictable because, as it's been said, it pays homage to the original Mirage Island. I also really appreciate how it really expands on that and makes finding any Mirage Spot actually possible to find, unlike the original Mirage Island which many players (myself included) never found in the originals. I think they executed it very well.

I never have found the original mirage island either. I eventually gpt so impatient, I just stopped bothering :')

Taodragon

Training Anaylst

I disagree, the whole mechanic is too reliant on the RNG to really be that well implemented. If you wanted Crescent Isle or one of the islands with the TMs, then you can easily be RNG screwed and get the ones you don't want. Even with Streetpass in consideration (which not everyone will have access to), it doesn't completely mitigate that problem as you still have to rely on others getting the island that you want, and that means relying on the RNG to be kind to them as well. I feel the mechanic could've benefitted from having a bit more control in where you wanted to go, or at least not putting the TMs on the islands so that you're not stuck in a wild goose chase if you missed some.

As for the original, a funny incident happened with that one for me. When I was younger, I used to visit the area to see if it would appear because I considered it a white whale that I had to hunt, and I eventually stopped after once I learned the odds of it appearing and decided it wasn't worth it. When I was in high school, I decided to pop in Emerald and sail through the route looking for a certain Pokémon, and what do you know? It popped up right then and there when I least expected it. Luck works in weird ways sometimes. XD

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
I disagree, the whole mechanic is too reliant on the RNG to really be that well implemented. If you wanted Crescent Isle or one of the islands with the TMs, then you can easily be RNG screwed and get the ones you don't want. Even with Streetpass in consideration (which not everyone will have access to), it doesn't completely mitigate that problem as you still have to rely on others getting the island that you want, and that means relying on the RNG to be kind to them as well. I feel the mechanic could've benefitted from having a bit more control in where you wanted to go, or at least not putting the TMs on the islands so that you're not stuck in a wild goose chase if you missed some.

As for the original, a funny incident happened with that one for me. When I was younger, I used to visit the area to see if it would appear because I considered it a white whale that I had to hunt, and I eventually stopped after once I learned the odds of it appearing and decided it wasn't worth it. When I was in high school, I decided to pop in Emerald and sail through the route looking for a certain Pokémon, and what do you know? It popped up right then and there when I least expected it. Luck works in weird ways sometimes. XD

Even if I did think the Mirage Islands were a nice little homage-paying feature, I will agree with you on that. TM's should not have been on those Mirage Islands full stop, as it really hinders the progession of a completed TM/HM collection

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It

I would agree with you on this (actually I do about the TM's since they were cool TM's), but the point of the Mirage Spots was for it to be random. It's literally in the name. Yes, it is true it's random, and somewhat reliant on Streetpassing (although not really since they change naturally every day anyways), but so are the flag captures of the Secret Bases. It's not a main component of the game, it's a random sidequest, so therefore, I think adding an element of luck is appropriate. Every game has a little gimmick that encourages going out and connecting to others and sometimes that is luck-based, but that's why they're relatively minor game parts. The same could be said for the Friend Safaris in XY. This is of course totally my opinion, I'm just ok with a luck-based system for a minor sidequest.

Status
Not open for further replies.