• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
I would agree with you on this (actually I do about the TM's since they were cool TM's), but the point of the Mirage Spots was for it to be random. It's literally in the name. Yes, it is true it's random, and somewhat reliant on Streetpassing (although not really since they change naturally every day anyways), but so are the flag captures of the Secret Bases. It's not a main component of the game, it's a random sidequest, so therefore, I think adding an element of luck is appropriate. Every game has a little gimmick that encourages going out and connecting to others and sometimes that is luck-based, but that's why they're relatively minor game parts. The same could be said for the Friend Safaris in XY. This is of course totally my opinion, I'm just ok with a luck-based system for a minor sidequest.

I feel the flags actually represent a negative example of using the streetpass feature (or rather, it in combination with the sidequest), but that's another argument. I also disagree with the Friend Safari example as they're locked to a FC, so as long as you know someone who had the one you wanted, you were pretty much set as you just had to get the code. That's not a luxury that the Mirage Spots have, either you or your friends have it, or they don't, that's it for the day and you're out of luck.

I will concede that some luck is fine and the Mirage Spot is a good idea in concept, but I still don't think it was handled that well in execution. It's a bit too reliant on the RNG to be as fun as it could've been as eventually you're going to get repeats rather then a new area, and adding the problems with the items did make it worse. I can see why you'd enjoy it, it's just for me it didn't work that well.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
The luck based factor was kind of annoying when I wanted to get the TM's I needed since keeping track of which islands I'd already been to got confusing. Took me long enough to get that TM Flash Cannon, and even longer for Substitute. As a concept though I didn't mind it too much, the fact that you didn't actually need local StreetPass to get more islands and could instead get more by connecting to the internet at least mitigated some of the issues that it would have had otherwise. And having one legendary dependent on that feature was actually interesting even if it had the potential to be frustrating. The fact that it was only one was why I didn't mind it though, having to deal with more than Cresselia would have been too much.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
The luck based factor was kind of annoying when I wanted to get the TM's I needed since keeping track of which islands I'd already been to got confusing. Took me long enough to get that TM Flash Cannon, and even longer for Substitute. As a concept though I didn't mind it too much, the fact that you didn't actually need local StreetPass to get more islands and could instead get more by connecting to the internet at least mitigated some of the issues that it would have had otherwise. And having one legendary dependent on that feature was actually interesting even if it had the potential to be frustrating. The fact that it was only one was why I didn't mind it though, having to deal with more than Cresselia would have been too much.

I agree with both of those points. The TM's were annoying to get, mostly because they were "good" TM's. If they were lamer moves, I wouldn't have cared as much. Also, it was good that only one legendary was from the random Mirage Spots. Like you said, limiting that made the Mirage Spots acceptable. I definitely see both yours and Taodragon's point of view on the subject, I'm just saying that I enjoyed them.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
That's E=zapto369;17678617]I agree with both of those points. The TM's were annoying to get, mostly because they were "good" TM's. If they were lamer moves, I wouldn't have cared as much. Also, it was good that only one legendary was from the random Mirage Spots. Like you said, limiting that made the Mirage Spots acceptable. I definitely see both yours and Taodragon's point of view on the subject, I'm just saying that I enjoyed them.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point, that it was only one Legendary. Can you imagine how annoying it would have been if ALL the Legendaries were on MirageIslands this way?!

Grey Wind

I think I would have liked Mirage Islands better if there had been other, fleshed out post game areas. I would have preferred having 3-4 larger islands to explore, with trainers, items and what not, rather than what were basically randomised grass patches.

I loved soaring though. Even if it's not likely, I still hope it returns in some shape or form in the future.

Aetius

I think I would have liked Mirage Islands better if there had been other, fleshed out post game areas. I would have preferred having 3-4 larger islands to explore, with trainers, items and what not, rather than what were basically randomised grass patches.

I loved soaring though. Even if it's not likely, I still hope it returns in some shape or form in the future.

It's also my desire to see the soaring feature making a return in the future gens.
It was really enjoyable going here and there with Lati@s without relying on a pokèmon with Fly.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :D

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
It's also my desire to see the soaring feature making a return in the future gens.
It was really enjoyable going here and there with Lati@s without relying on a pokèmon with Fly.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :D

I agree, one of my favorite things about soaring was the lack of using the Fly HM. Even if they don't bring back soaring in it's fullest potential, I hope they do something to cut the reliance on the HM Fly again because that was a nice relief.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Even with soaring available, I still carried a flyer. It's just faster.

It is, just not totally necessary, especially if you want to use one of the non-flying flyers, like pretty much every bug/flying type, Gliscor, etc.

Akashin

Even with soaring available, I still carried a flyer. It's just faster.

I didn't. I would welcome Soaring replacing Fly, unlikely (read: virtually impossible) as it is. A few seconds extra spent travelling in exchange for freeing yourself from having to carry a Flyer is a fair trade to me.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I didn't. I would welcome Soaring replacing Fly, unlikely (read: virtually impossible) as it is. A few seconds extra spent travelling in exchange for freeing yourself from having to carry a Flyer is a fair trade to me.

Completely agreed, although unfortunately, I think you're also right about it being next to never that soaring or some variation thereof would return, but it sure would be nice. It wouldn't have to be with a specific Pokemon though (i.e. Lati@s), maybe even an item that summoned a flock of birds to pick you up and carry you places, I dunno. Sigh, a guy can dream though, right?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
or they could just implement painless unrestricted fast travel without any weirdass requirements like every other modern RPG

Flamer

or they could just implement painless unrestricted fast travel without any weirdass requirements like every other modern RPG

Agree with this. Even if they don't keep Soaring, the idea of summoning a Pokemon to carrying out the flying function, (maybe even stuff like Surf too), would be much better than having to carry around one who knows the TM at all times. The item for activating the summon could be given to you at an appropriate time, just like the TM, so there's no problem with it allowing you to access areas you shouldn't be able to early.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Agree with this. Even if they don't keep Soaring, the idea of summoning a Pokemon to carrying out the flying function, (maybe even stuff like Surf too), would be much better than having to carry around one who knows the TM at all times. The item for activating the summon could be given to you at an appropriate time, just like the TM, so there's no problem with it allowing you to access areas you shouldn't be able to early.

That would definitely be a way to implement that, just give out the item at the appropriate time instead of the HM, which would make total sense. In a way though, I wouldn't want all HM's to go away because I feel like that's part of the game's mechanics. I'm not saying that "it's always been this way, so it should always be this way," just that HM's provide a nice function for the game. Yes, they allow for progression, but they also demonstrate a way in which the Pokemon help out the Trainer to do things. Pokemon and people working together is a central theme in literally every main series Pokemon game and HM's are a manifestation of that.

So would I want all of them to go away, no. Would I want to see unnecessary or "stupid" ones go away? Absolutely. It especially bothers me that there are so many "repetitive" HM's like 3 water moves and 2 normal ones with no other advantage. If at least they diversified the HM's, it would be so much cooler.

Akashin

Wouldn't even need to be an item necessarily. The Gym Badge that would otherwise let you use that HM out of battle could instead serve to allow Fly/Surf/Whatever to be used in the field with compatible Pokemon.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Wouldn't even need to be an item necessarily. The Gym Badge that would otherwise let you use that HM out of battle could instead serve to allow Fly/Surf/Whatever to be used in the field with compatible Pokemon.

That's an interesting idea. I remember reading somewhere that they toyed with that idea in Gen I, but it never got implemented. It'd be interesting to see if they would pull it off now that things have advanced much further.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls

I myself have wondered why they haven't implemented this feature (or a feature like it) in newer games; having to teach your party Pokémon useless moves or have an HM slave is annoying. They did a decent job at lessening the amount of HMs you needed to fully utilize in Gen V, and Soaring alleviates the Fly situation a bit, but yeah.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I myself have wondered why they haven't implemented this feature (or a feature like it) in newer games; having to teach your party Pokémon useless moves or have an HM slave is annoying. They did a decent job at lessening the amount of HMs you needed to fully utilize in Gen V, and Soaring alleviates the Fly situation a bit, but yeah.

Agreed, it's gotten a bit better, but we're still far from where many players want to be. But then again, who knows what the future will bring.

blob

Not sure where this goes, but... does anyone know why they got rid of most of the fun medals from B2W2, yet kept the boring ones?
I miss having the Type-Champ Medals, as they challenged you to beat the E4 using just one type.
Now we're stuck with really boring ones, like getting 10,000 PokéMiles and Ratings Battles, which no-one actually cares about.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Surf and Waterfall(and even Dive)aren't even remotely close to useless.Hopefully they won't make another region like Unova again,since water routes and waterfalls make the region look more lively.
That being said,I do think Soaring should return in future games.Maybe also make Lati@s available post-game(like in HG/SS/B2/W2).

Status
Not open for further replies.