• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Exactly. I mean, don't get me wrong, some of those items were pretty awesome (I especially liked the Castelia City model) but the novelty wears off after you've purchased everything. I just wish they had made more secret base items in this new Hoenn region. Or hey! Similar to how each 3DS system gave you a different Friend Safari in XY, they should have made several pre-determined item listings for the Lilycove sale, and your 3DS system determines which items you get!

That might be going a little too far for a relatively minor part of the game, but I see your point lols. And yea, I loved some of those decorations as well, and while there were a bunch of new Secret Base items in this game, they were mostly found in Fortree City's shop, not in Lilycove's. Not that that's a bad idea, they expanded that element in that city, but didn't for another. Having both item selections boosted would have been pretty neat to see.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
That might be going a little too far for a relatively minor part of the game, but I see your point lols. And yea, I loved some of those decorations as well, and while there were a bunch of new Secret Base items in this game, they were mostly found in Fortree City's shop, not in Lilycove's. Not that that's a bad idea, they expanded that element in that city, but didn't for another. Having both item selections boosted would have been pretty neat to see.

It might be going too far, though I always thought the mechanic for the Friend Safaris was going too far for that feature :)

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
It might be going too far, though I always thought the mechanic for the Friend Safaris was going too far for that feature :)

Touche, you do have a point there lols. I never particularly liked the Friend Safari's in XY myself, so I'd tend to agree with you on that.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Touche, you do have a point there lols. I never particularly liked the Friend Safari's in XY myself, so I'd tend to agree with you on that.

As bizarre as the Friend Safari was, I was surprised that the new Hoenn region didn't have some sort of equivalent.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
As bizarre as the Friend Safari was, I was surprised that the new Hoenn region didn't have some sort of equivalent.

Me too actually. Considering how they brought the Maison to the Battle Resort, it kind of would have made sense to port that XY feature over. I'd almost rather have that than a 2nd Day Care Center. While I can see it's usefulness for breeders, I thought it was a little unnecessary.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Me too actually. Considering how they brought the Maison to the Battle Resort, it kind of would have made sense to port that XY feature over. I'd almost rather have that than a 2nd Day Care Center. While I can see it's usefulness for breeders, I thought it was a little unnecessary.

I know, the second day-care centre seemed like a bit of a waste, to be honest. They could have just modified the existing day-care centre outside of Mauville for serious breeders, rather than wasting a feature in the Battle Resort.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I know, the second day-care centre seemed like a bit of a waste, to be honest. They could have just modified the existing day-care centre outside of Mauville for serious breeders, rather than wasting a feature in the Battle Resort.

Exactly, I would have much rather seen a new or different game feature than that. Even if the second Day Care did something cooler, I wouldn't have minded. But to just put a second Center that is literally a carbon copy of the first? Lame :p

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Having two day cares in a pair of games reminds me of Firered and leafgreen although the first one only took one pokemon instead of two. My favorite place is Hoenn is Meteor Falls where Bagon originated.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Exactly, I would have much rather seen a new or different game feature than that. Even if the second Day Care did something cooler, I wouldn't have minded. But to just put a second Center that is literally a carbon copy of the first? Lame :p

Not to mention that the "infinite loop" in the Battle Resort for hatching eggs has some major flaws.
If the loop was perfect, I wouldn't have minded so much, but there are some problems...

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

I so wish we had gotten a Friend Safari in OR/AS. I liked having two Day Cares and all, but I'd rather have seen the Friend Safari at the Battle Resort instead.

Akashin

Not to mention that the "infinite loop" in the Battle Resort for hatching eggs has some major flaws.
If the loop was perfect, I wouldn't have minded so much, but there are some problems...

Like? Aside from the sand pits (which is only an issue if you're paying full attention to the game while doing the loop, which kind of defeats the purpose), I can't think of any.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah the infinite loop in ORAS is still better than what we had in XY if only for the placement of the loop. Lumiose might be better for bulk hatching but you still need to hoard eggs and then fly over to Lumiose to hatch. Battle Resort just eliminates this middle step and puts it all in one location, while also having the IV judge in the same area as well. The Battle Resort Day Care is like 99% perfect as a utility even if it is kind of redundant. Why they couldn't have both the Day Care and Safari there who knows, but I like the second Day Care.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Like? Aside from the sand pits (which is only an issue if you're paying full attention to the game while doing the loop, which kind of defeats the purpose), I can't think of any.

There's also the fact that everytime an egg hatches, your direction changes, so even when you're in the infinite loop, you still have to be paying attention to change your direction everytime an egg hatches.

Having two day cares in a pair of games reminds me of Firered and leafgreen although the first one only took one pokemon instead of two. My favorite place is Hoenn is Meteor Falls where Bagon originated.
I agree. Meteor Falls is my favorite place in ORAS as well. The concept is really neat with it being made of meteor craters and the pokémon you can find there are both original and fitting for the area. What probably sells me though is the visuals, I simply love how they did the water within Meteor Falls.

Sootopolis is probably my second favorite. Also mostly for the visuals, the water there looks great during the night time and the architecture there is unique. In fact I really love the way water looks in Hoenn in general. However the loading screen within the city does ruin the immersion for me a bit. I'm also not a huge fan of them retconning it from being an extinct volcano to a meteor crater. Given that Meteor Falls already fills that role, and that the high walls and relatively small crater is much more remnicent of the structure of a volcanic crater than one from a meteorite. But it's still a cool idea for a city.

Last edited:

Akashin

There's also the fact that everytime an egg hatches, your direction changes, so even when you're in the infinite loop, you still have to be paying attention to change your direction everytime an egg hatches.

You're already paying attention to finish hatching that egg anyway, so again, not seeing a huge problem here.

That seems a bit of a minor thing to be using to claim that the Resort's loop has "major flaws" though, in any case.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I agree. Meteor Falls is my favorite place in ORAS as well. The concept is really neat with it being made of meteor craters and the pokémon you can find there are both original and fitting for the area. What probably sells me though is the visuals, I simply love how they did the water within Meteor Falls.

Sootopolis is probably my second favorite. Also mostly for the visuals, the water there looks great during the night time and the architecture there is unique. In fact I really love the way water looks in Hoenn in general. However the loading screen within the city does ruin the immersion for me a bit. I'm also not a huge fan of them retconning it from being an extinct volcano to a meteor crater. Given that Meteor Falls already fills that role, and that the high walls and relatively small crater is much more remnicent of the structure of a volcanic crater than one from a meteorite. But it's still a cool idea for a city.

I agree that Meteor Falls was really cool, pretty unique too in the Pokemon World. Sootopolis is actually my favorite city in Hoenn though, although not necessarily my favorite place in the whole region. I really like the visuals with the water and how they re-did the Gym as well. I would disagree with the change in origin though, as I think this made a lot more sense. I mean, yes, an extinct volcano does sound kind of cooler and is different than Meteor Falls, but it ties in better with the lore of the region, as evidenced by Wallace's role in the Delta Episode. I think this might be the only reason they made this change, but I think it was a worthy one and added more depth to the lore.

I agree that Meteor Falls was really cool, pretty unique too in the Pokemon World. Sootopolis is actually my favorite city in Hoenn though, although not necessarily my favorite place in the whole region. I really like the visuals with the water and how they re-did the Gym as well. I would disagree with the change in origin though, as I think this made a lot more sense. I mean, yes, an extinct volcano does sound kind of cooler and is different than Meteor Falls, but it ties in better with the lore of the region, as evidenced by Wallace's role in the Delta Episode. I think this might be the only reason they made this change, but I think it was a worthy one and added more depth to the lore.
It's my favorite city in Hoenn as well(probably my favorite city period), hence it being my second favorite place in Hoenn in general. So make no mistake, I still like it a lot. It is just that it seemed more believable as a volcanic crater given its structure and rising from an abyss, something I find it very hard to believe an impact crater would. I also liked to think that Sootopolis and Mt. Chimney used to be the same hot spot with Hoenn moving above it, like with Hawaii.It's true that it got some more flavor in the Delta Episode, but it honestly didn't grab my attention that much. Mainly because it all tie with Mega Evolution and states that some Mega Stones arrive with with meteorites, and that not all were radiated evolutionary stones. Greatly decreasing the significance of AZ's weapon.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
It's my favorite city in Hoenn as well(probably my favorite city period), hence it being my second favorite place in Hoenn in general. So make no mistake, I still like it a lot. It is just that it seemed more believable as a volcanic crater given its structure and rising from an abyss, something I find it very hard to believe an impact crater would. I also liked to think that Sootopolis and Mt. Chimney used to be the same hot spot with Hoenn moving above it, like with Hawaii.It's true that it got some more flavor in the Delta Episode, but it honestly didn't grab my attention that much. Mainly because it all tie with Mega Evolution and states that some Mega Stones arrive with with meteorites, and that not all were radiated evolutionary stones. Greatly decreasing the significance of AZ's weapon.

True, you have a point there. I kind of wonder what the "true" origins of Mega stones are, since both sets of games seem to have contradictory elements to the lore. However, it is possible that both are true: maybe some Stones came from meteors, while others were a results of Xerneas/Yvetal's power radiating with AZ's Weapon. It would also kind of "explain" why some Megas are exclusive to Hoenn: because their stones came from that region in meteor form.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
True, you have a point there. I kind of wonder what the "true" origins of Mega stones are, since both sets of games seem to have contradictory elements to the lore. However, it is possible that both are true: maybe some Stones came from meteors, while others were a results of Xerneas/Yvetal's power radiating with AZ's Weapon. It would also kind of "explain" why some Megas are exclusive to Hoenn: because their stones came from that region in meteor form.

I would lean towards Hoenn, since the legend of Rayquaza seems older than the legend of the Kalos war. But they are legends, so it's all open to interpretation :)

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
TBH, I don't think they thought that much about it. Mega Evolution to start with was specifically said to be a Kalos Region phenomenon, both in-game by Sycamore and on the official site. The new ORAS lore is kind of a retcon. Unless we run with Zinnia's multiverse shenanigans, but I feel like that would undermine the Regions being tied together...

I think they did a better job with the Devon history.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.