• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
TBH, I don't think they thought that much about it. Mega Evolution to start with was specifically said to be a Kalos Region phenomenon, both in-game by Sycamore and on the official site. The new ORAS lore is kind of a retcon. Unless we run with Zinnia's multiverse shenanigans, but I feel like that would undermine the Regions being tied together...

I think they did a better job with the Devon history.

You're forgetting though, that AZ is a part of the Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire canon. He is mentioned by Wallace as he (Wallace) is talking to the old man in Sootopolis.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I would disagree with the change in origin though, as I think this made a lot more sense.

It made more sense in these games since its origin was changed to fit the story better, but I liked that the city was inside an old volcano originally. Sootopolis isn't my favorite Hoenn city though: that would be Lilycove.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
It made more sense in these games since its origin was changed to fit the story better, but I liked that the city was inside an old volcano originally. Sootopolis isn't my favorite Hoenn city though: that would be Lilycove.

Sootopolis City is still inside an old volcano, isn't it?

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Nope. They changed it.
In ORAS, the crater is now formed by an impact from a giant meteorite.

Seriously?! How did I miss that explanation in the game?
I believe you when you say it, but where/when in the game do they say that?

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Seriously?! How did I miss that explanation in the game?
I believe you when you say it, but where/when in the game do they say that?

I believe they mention it during the Delta Episode, either right before you go to meet Wallace outside the Cave of Origin or Wallace himself says so when you meet him there or before you battle him.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
I believe they mention it during the Delta Episode, either right before you go to meet Wallace outside the Cave of Origin or Wallace himself says so when you meet him there or before you battle him.

I must have been pressing A too fast... Both times that I played the Delta Episode! :p
That is pretty neat though, and I'm glad I am aware of that now :)

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I must have been pressing A too fast... Both times that I played the Delta Episode! :p
That is pretty neat though, and I'm glad I am aware of that now :)

Lame, there's no much good stuff in the Delta Episode, at least the first time you go through it :p
But you're welcome.

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
Lame, there's no much good stuff in the Delta Episode, at least the first time you go through it :p
But you're welcome.

At least this has shown that I need to pay more attention while playing these remakes, since the origins of a lot of the towns/cities are different.
Next you'll all be telling me that Mauville City and the Abandoned Ship are somehow connected...

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
At least this has shown that I need to pay more attention while playing these remakes, since the origins of a lot of the towns/cities are different.
Next you'll all be telling me that Mauville City and the Abandoned Ship are somehow connected...

You are joking...right?

Miss Meta Mon

I ♥ Poké Dolls
You are joking...right?

Yes, that was a joke :p
Though I am a bit fuzzy on the details. What are some of the more important details pertaining to Mauville and the Abandoned Ship's connection?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Yes, that was a joke :p
Though I am a bit fuzzy on the details. What are some of the more important details pertaining to Mauville and the Abandoned Ship's connection?

The Abandoned Ship has been renamed the Sea Mauville, and is now some sort of oil rig instead of a ship. Apparently the same company that started up Mauville City also operated the Sea Mauville.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
In RSE, Mauville and the Abandoned Ship are not related at all. In ORAS, things are different...

Wattson, the leader of Greater Mauville Holdings, which is the developer of Mauville City, are also the people behind the development of New Mauville and Sea Mauville (former Abandoned Ship in RSE).

New Mauville was supposed to be a 69-floor subterranean city, but was cancelled sometime during development for undisclosed reasons. Events relating to the cancellation of New Mauville also led to the closure of Sea Mauville. Staff aren't happy.

Whatever have transpired behind the scenes, it labeled Wattson as traitor to their group.

Belgrim

69 floors eh? [Insert Lenny face here]

Aside from that, I feel like the safari zone was just slapped together this game. While it is nice to know we have drifted away from the old days of safari balls, bait, and mud, I'm also a bit bothered that the safari zone is just...bland for lack of a better word.

I personally think the best safari feature we've had ever was the Friend Safari. The concept was fun and unique. But here in Hoenn, it's just another place to pass up on the journey to becoming the Champion.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
69 floors eh? [Insert Lenny face here]

Aside from that, I feel like the safari zone was just slapped together this game. While it is nice to know we have drifted away from the old days of safari balls, bait, and mud, I'm also a bit bothered that the safari zone is just...bland for lack of a better word.

I personally think the best safari feature we've had ever was the Friend Safari. The concept was fun and unique. But here in Hoenn, it's just another place to pass up on the journey to becoming the Champion.

There's actually an in-game story behind this...

When the ORAS Safari Zone was built, the owner originally asked for admission fee (like most Safari Zones). The place got famous but he became greedy and raised the entrance fee. Because of this, people stopped coming. The place went bankrupt, so the owner left Hoenn. After leaving, some thoughtful people reopened the Safari Zone (the current one we have now). The previous owner felt guilty and went back to Hoenn and worked as a volunteer at the new Safari Zone.

So yeah. That's why the ORAS Safari Zone is open to all.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It

When the ORAS Safari Zone was built, the owner originally asked for admission fee (like most Safari Zones). The place got famous but he became greedy and raised the entrance fee. Because of this, people stopped coming. The place went bankrupt, so the owner left Hoenn. After leaving, some thoughtful people reopened the Safari Zone (the current one we have now). The previous owner felt guilty and went back to Hoenn and worked as a volunteer at the new Safari Zone.

Yes, there is this backstory, which I really liked actually because it gave some substance to an area that most people just take as is. Plus it plays a little bit on the theme of business that appears in these games (coupled with the whole Sea/New Mauville thing and the stronger backstory for Devon). That being said, I don't think it offsets the weakened mechanics of what the Safari Zone has always been. As much as it was a pain sometimes, I enjoyed the mud/bait/rock/safari ball mechanics as well as the unique Poke Ball that the Safari Ball was. It's still cool because of the Pokemon you can get there, as well as the double-bike navigation, however, I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the Pokeblock and "true" Safari Zone mechanics that separated it from other areas.

^agreed

Despite the back-story of why the ORAS safari zone is what it is, I personally liked the way safari zones used to be, what with the entrance fee, ball limit, things like that, which gave it more of a challenge. :)
The only thing I could do without (such as with the HGSS Johto safari zone) is not having the step limit. The step limit was the one mechanic of the safari zones that I disliked. I was fine with the other mechanics.

-Raiga-

^agreed

Despite the back-story of why the ORAS safari zone is what it is, I personally liked the way safari zones used to be, what with the entrance fee, ball limit, things like that, which gave it more of a challenge. :)
The only thing I could do without (such as with the HGSS Johto safari zone) is not having the step limit. The step limit was the one mechanic of the safari zones that I disliked. I was fine with the other mechanics.

I feel like, in generation 1 specifically, the step limit worked out really well for what it supposed to do. That is, provide added pressure the further you go in trying to capture increasingly rare pokemon. I.e. something like Dratini might have been no harder to get than a nidoran if it were simply placed at the beginning than the end. It also worked well with the "gold teeth" side-mission, which was sometimes challenging to get to in time even after you played it once or twice.

With that said, in today's pokemon, where any pokemon is a "hey dude could you breed me a dratini" away, it really has no place. It's kind of the same as the feebas situation, no one in their right mind would go through that hellacious fishing method nowadays when you can just get one of the gts.(other than bragging rights or personal satisfaction of course)

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

I like they at least made an excuse by giving it some story, but I'm still upset that the Safari Game wasn't included. The Safari Game is a Pokemon classic that has been there since the beginning. It is a fun and unique way to catch Pokemon, and gave you something different to do. The Friend Safari and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Safari Zone were insults to a long standing Pokemon tradition.

Status
Not open for further replies.