• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akashin

I like they at least made an excuse by giving it some story, but I'm still upset that the Safari Game wasn't included. The Safari Game is a Pokemon classic that has been there since the beginning. It is a fun and unique way to catch Pokemon, and gave you something different to do. The Friend Safari and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire Safari Zone were insults to a long standing Pokemon tradition.

...Except in Generations II and V, where no such thing exists, right (though I suppose the Bug-Catching Game might be considered close enough in the former case)?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Do you feel you're perhaps being a bit hyperbolic here?

Maybe I am, but I do feel pretty strong about it.

...Except in Generations II and V, where no such thing exists, right (though I suppose the Bug-Catching Game might be considered close enough in the former case)?

Johto was the exception to the rule (as it was with many things, because they were still figuring themselves out), and Unova was what originally broke the tradition, X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire tried to do it half way, I'm upset with Unova as well.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Maybe I am, but I do feel pretty strong about it.

Johto was the exception to the rule (as it was with many things, because they were still figuring themselves out), and Unova was what originally broke the tradition, X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire tried to do it half way, I'm upset with Unova as well.

You're entitled to feel strongly of course if you want to.

As for myself, there's no law that says a Pokemon region has to have a Safari Zone. I'm totally fine with Unova and Johto not having one, although the latter did in their remakes (HGSS). My problem comes in when they have a Safari Zone and do it wrong. If you're going to do it, do it right, or don't do it at all. That's just my opinion at least.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I feel like, in generation 1 specifically, the step limit worked out really well for what it supposed to do. That is, provide added pressure the further you go in trying to capture increasingly rare pokemon. I.e. something like Dratini might have been no harder to get than a nidoran if it were simply placed at the beginning than the end. It also worked well with the "gold teeth" side-mission, which was sometimes challenging to get to in time even after you played it once or twice.

With that said, in today's pokemon, where any pokemon is a "hey dude could you breed me a dratini" away, it really has no place. It's kind of the same as the feebas situation, no one in their right mind would go through that hellacious fishing method nowadays when you can just get one of the gts.(other than bragging rights or personal satisfaction of course)

I'm inclined to agree with this; I feel like in the case of the Safari Zone, changes made in modern games do a lot to undermine the original challenge

mind you, I do think there are ways to make the original step-limited/no battling design of the Safari Game more fulfilling to encourage players to take advantage of it - see how Johto's Bug-Catching Contest gives out evolutionary stones in a game in which those are ordinarily restricted

the RSE Hoenn Safari Zone allowed you to influence caught Pokemon's Natures by adding Pokeblocks to feeders; it would've been great to keep something like the Friend Safari's guaranteed flawless IVs for the Safari Game, using Pokeblock feeders to influence what those were

redsky

Ninja
I rather miss the old fashioned safari zones. The step count and the safari balls made it a very different and interesting place that added variety to the game, instead of just being the same as every other route. The back story for the change in ORAS was a nice addition though. I'm glad they added a story explaination for the change.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
The safari zone in ORAS is a lot better than the originals I have to be honest. No admission fee, no certain amount of steps and allowed to use your pokemon and other pokeballs to catch the ones inside is far more better. Also going to Southern Island during story was cool although I wish they didn't hand Latias/Latios over to you like that.

NotABeginningTrainer

Also going to Southern Island during story was cool although I wish they didn't hand Latias/Latios over to you like that.

Agreed. It takes away from the challenge. They could have made it a required capture without making it too hard. I get why they did it, I just think it could have been avoided.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I rather miss the old fashioned safari zones. The step count and the safari balls made it a very different and interesting place that added variety to the game, instead of just being the same as every other route. The back story for the change in ORAS was a nice addition though. I'm glad they added a story explaination for the change.

The old Hoenn Safari Zone was annoying imo, so I welcomed the change. Now I don't have to deal with step limits or rely on luck with a Safari Ball to catch Pokemon there.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
Eh. Hit and miss. I like the free admission and dropping the step meter, but the design is convoluted now and I miss the PokeBlock feeder :/

I think this about sums it up. Although I'd add that I also miss the Safari Balls since, I love having different types of Poke Balls. I mean, it's not a big deal and personal preference really, but it is a noticeable loss.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Does anyone know if something happens after a 100 rocket launches at Mossdeep space centre? Anyone reached a 100 yet? I suppose nothing happens but I haven't reached 100 yet.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Eh. Hit and miss. I like the free admission and dropping the step meter, but the design is convoluted now and I miss the PokeBlock feeder :/

I miss the Pokeblock feeders too. I was hoping they'd return to help with getting desired natures just in the Safari zone, without using a Synchronize lead. Then we could free up a space for Cute Charm, Compound Eyes, etc. But I'll take the current Safari Zones anyday over the ones in the past. Sinnoh's can cause random cases of hair loss between mudholes and Bibarels!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I liked the changes to the Safari Zone from RSE, which the major ones were removing the step limit and free entry. Also, in ORAS, you can have both Acro and Mach Bikes simultaneously but not in RSE, in which in the Safari Zone, has both mud ramps, blocks and thin bridges, so I welcomed the change.

BurningWhiteKyurem

^agreed

Despite the back-story of why the ORAS safari zone is what it is, I personally liked the way safari zones used to be, what with the entrance fee, ball limit, things like that, which gave it more of a challenge. :)
The only thing I could do without (such as with the HGSS Johto safari zone) is not having the step limit. The step limit was the one mechanic of the safari zones that I disliked. I was fine with the other mechanics.

Trust me when I say this. You do not want the hell of having items and waiting days (where the DS date abuse doesn't even work) for rare Pokemon to show up in the Safari.

Charizard86

Charizard Champion
With the safari zone, whilst I hated the whole randomness of throwing bait & rocks & praying it doesn't run away before you can catch it, I feel turning it into just an ordinary area makes it lose any kind of special purpose it once had.

One idea they could have gone with would be to remove the steps limit but charge you for admission and give you 30 safari balls. You would then be allowed to take just one pokemon with you, like in the bug-catching contest. This time you can catch as many pokemon as you like, however as soon as you make one faint, you are kicked out of the safari zone and have to pay another fee to enter. This way it isn't left down to luck as much as it use to be, but it also means you have a take a little care to not just faint any pokemon you don't want to catch.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
I prefer the new safari zone, it is much better the way it is and I was able to catch shiny Pikachu, Girafraig, Doduo and Psyduck because of the change. Trying to catch shiny pokemon in the original safari zone was risky and you were likely to lose it. Meteor falls is my favorite as this was the original home of Bagon which is where I caught a shiny Bagon. I enjoy the soaring in the sky as well.

Lorde

I miss the Pokeblock feeders too. I was hoping they'd return to help with getting desired natures just in the Safari zone, without using a Synchronize lead. Then we could free up a space for Cute Charm, Compound Eyes, etc. But I'll take the current Safari Zones anyday over the ones in the past. Sinnoh's can cause random cases of hair loss between mudholes and Bibarels!

I was glad that the feeders were removed; I hardly used them in R/S anyway. The new Safari Zone was done well, though needing different bikes to get around there still irks me. :p

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Minor gripe, but I really disliked that there weren't any 3rd gen critters in the Hoenn Safari Zone. I guess this was done in RSE because of the lack off pre-GenIII critters, but it now served no purpose. Even the DexNav additions just features Kakuna, Pidgeotto and Buneary (I guess because of their Mega Evolutions).

I only play with the GenIII critters and the ones that have gotten a Mega in Oras, so I had no reason to enter the Safari Zone (except for items) before updating the DexNav.. I found that to be quite annoying.

Lorde

Minor gripe, but I really disliked that there weren't any 3rd gen critters in the Hoenn Safari Zone.

I just sorta assumed that most of the Pokemon at the Safari Zone were brought there from other regions and that that's why exotic species lived there while Hoenn Pokemon were unnecessary there since they could be found everywhere else in Hoenn.

Status
Not open for further replies.