• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Starters vs Kanto Starters?

Kanto Starters vs Hoenn Starters

• Hoenn Starters (Treeko, Mudkip, Torchic)

Votes: 150 61.0%
  • Kanto Starters (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle)

Votes: 96 39.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
My opinion might change after ORAS comes out lol but as for now:

Overall:

Venusaur = Sceptile
Swampert > Blastoise
Charizard > Blaziken

If it was a battle:

Venusaur > Sceptile
Swampert = Blastoise
Charizard > Blaziken.

The only reason Sceptile is equal to Venusaur overall is because Hoenn is one big ocean. This obviously serves useful to a grass type. When it comes to typing and learnsets though Venusaur destroys Sceptile easily. Venusaur learns Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, Synthesis and Solar Beam.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Sceptile > Venusaur
Swampert >>>>>>> Blastoise
Charizard >>> Blaziken

Overall it's a close call but Hoenn wins for me. Usually for every gen there's 1 starter I love, 1 that I like and 1 that I dislike or hate, but Hoenn is the only exception to that. I love 2 of 'em and like 1. I don't dislike any of the 3rd gen starters :D

While for Kanto I lovelovelove Charizard, like Venusaur but strongly dislike Blastoise.

c1234

Trainer Since '98
I can't shake my love of Kanto starters. They started my pokemon journey!

Meillquei

Keeper of Slurpuffs
I think Gen 3 was the first gen that I liked all the starters equally. It's not that Gen 1 starters are bad, but I didn't really like Bulbasaur that much.

Midknight

Not Banned
I have to go with Hoenn starters since Sapphire was the first Pokemon game I've ever played. Kanto's starters aren't that bad though.. not as bad as the fifth gen's starters.

phanpycross

God-king
Im not crazy about the squirtle line, but My love for the charizard/ivysaur lines still pull them up for me.

Im just not that crazy about torchic and mashtomp, and grovyle looked so girly in gen 3.

ShinyUmbreon189

RealTalkRealFlow
When I read the thread question I thought we were gonna be discussing which starter line up is better lol.

But I like both so much that I can't choose. It wouldn't be fair to the other gen's starter lines.

PKMNOriginsRed

Pokemon Trainer
I prefer Kanto starters, period :p Both design wise and competitively, I'd take kanto any day.

I'd go with the Kanto starters any day, the ONLY Kanto starter I dislike is Wartortle, and IMO Torchic's evolutions, Mega Swampert and Treecko's evolutions aren't too great. Plus I love Charizard :3

EDIT: Wow I literally just posted here .-. sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonmlr

Ultamate Magnemite
Blastorse vs Swampert Im going with Swampert just because he can take hits and deliver them

Venasaur vs Skeptile Im going with venasuar because of his poison type can kill other grass types like nothing

Charzard vs blazakin im going with tie both are strong and both can come up big depending on who raises them

Kumiho

Blasian
Hoenn starters just because I like all three. I only like Charmander and Squirtle, Bulbasaur I'm not too crazy about.

OfCorsola

Brock and Misty!
It varies, I generally like hoenn starters more, but I prefer bulbasaur rather than treecko.

SILVER XD

Momentai, bro.
Well this is a big question.

Venusaur ties with Sceptile
I don't know. Honestly, Venusaur probably would have won this one if I wasn't having a spell of Sceptile-liking and remembering using him on an Emerald play-through going on at the moment. Bulbasaur is arguably my favorite Kanto starter(still fighting with Squirtle for that spot occasionally) and while Sceptile isn't my absolute favorite of the Hoenn starters he is a pretty cool Pokémon.

Swampert over Blastoise
While Blastoise is a great Pokémon(my second favorite Kanto starter) and I could never hate the awesomeness that is the Squirtle Squad, Swampert still pulls this one out. He's my favorite member of the Hoenn stable and just a really cool Pokémon in general(have you read his Dex entries?) with a sweet design, memorable and non-irritating cry, and a cool real-life basis. Not to mention that Mudkip was the first starter Pokémon that I ever actually used in a game that was mine(sharing that "my first Pokémon" slot with Cyndaquil). Also, M-Blastoise my bring more cannons, but M-Swampert brings the beef.

Charizard ties with Blaziken
I used to be crazy about Blaziken. I really did. I even went so far at one time to call it my favorite starter and my favorite Pokémon overall(don't know what I was thinking, really). But know, all theses years after the Deoxys movie that made it look so cool, after I had actually used it so long ago in Emerald, and after it has gained so much hype for being the first starter to go Uber and having such a ridiculous Mega Evolution.... I don't like it that much anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's deign is still kind of cool(even if it is a bit sullied for me) and I still remember Blaze Kicking the crap out of everything in Hoenn back in Emerald but honestly he's on the bottom of the Hoenn starters for me. And Charizard is on the bottom of the Kanto starters. What's funny is that he's gone the opposite route of Blaziken. I used to actually hate Charizard because it felt so incredibly overrated by such a large number of people. It just felt like it was soaking up so much of the spotlight for having what I thought(even as a kid) was a meh-tasting design and a bad spot in the TV show(why would I want a Pokémon that would either cremate my face or take a nap each time I need it?). He's cool because he looks like a dragon? I'd always thought that Dragonair is the coolest dragon-like Pokémon from Kanto. Buuuut... those feels have subsided. I don't have a vehement distaste for Charizard any more. He's an okay Pokémon who is maybe just a bit overrated and has two pretty cool Mega Evolutions. Still, both of these guys are at the bottom of their starter groups to me.

Winner: Hoenn

Kanto Starters no doubt about it. Charmander is my favorite pokemon of all time (blame the anime and his moe voice), his evolutions are sick as hell and nostalgia factor. Pokemon Blue was my first game so I loved every single one of the 151.

CptScorpion

Scrafty Artist
Let me think ... oh yeah ... I'm definitely going with the Hoenn Starters! Why? Because I love Treecko, Mudkip, and their evolutions, that's why! I also like the Kanto starters, but not as much as the Hoenn Starters; although I find the Squirtle family quite cute.

Loyal

The Best
I much prefer the Kanto starters, although this is probably because Gen 1 was the first Pokemon gen I played so I'm blinded by nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.