• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoennshipping (Brendan x May) General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
^ I can see the many, many times where each set of parents are likely planning multiple get-together dinners as if to 'get to know' their future in-laws. lol

I can probably see Lisia being a shipper too, ContestKing/Queen aside. She just seems to imaginative that I believe she'd be one of the first to jump to the idea and end up teasing Brendan or May about their respective crushes. All in all, just something cute!

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
^ I can see the many, many times where each set of parents are likely planning multiple get-together dinners as if to 'get to know' their future in-laws. lol

I can too, especially when we did get to see a scene at the end of the Delta Episode where they were talking inside Brendan/May's house. They were basically acting like 'in laws' and it made me all giddy with excitement when I realized how they were basically pushing Hoennshipping and making even their own parents Hoennshippers.

Anyways, I made a banner the other day. I just got photoshop on my computer and I was messing around and made it. I personally like how it came out so I figured I'd leave it here.

[IMGSIZE=350]http://i.imgur.com/eEgPNIT.png[/IMGSIZE]

You're more then welcome to use it if you want to.

And if you have any banners, fanart, etc. that you want me to add into the first post, message me with a link and I will add it in as soon as I can.

Last edited:

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
Awesome banner! :D It would be awesome if we were able to add more to this little thread. Guess when I have time, i'll try and crack out something too. :)

BubChan

Wonderwall
Put me on this! May is my fandom bycicle, ORAS made me ship them, so I think that I should join the thread, right? Hope to meet a lot of HoennShippers here! Mizz Nikki, awesome banner, it's beautiful :)

Mizz Nikki

Operations Director
Welcome, Bub :) I'll you in to the first post now :D

Thanks guys. I'm really glad you like it. I was just messing around in photoshop and that was what I came up with. I personally think it came out really nice and that was only like the third thing I've made. I've made a lot of edits though :)

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
So much more Hoennshipping in ORAS. I was so happy.
now how about that Franticshipping HMMM??

BubChan

Wonderwall

Hoenn and Frantic are not the same, May and Sapphire are not the same, Brendan and Ruby are not the same, I think that we shouldn't talk about them in this thread But yeah, I love them too Yes, We got a lot of HoennShipping in ORAS (And NewRival/LoveRival/AdvancedChampion too, buuut, we got moments, so yeah xD) Our neighbor (May or Brendan) seems to like us a lot! This count as a hint, I guess

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!

Have you seen the latest ORAS PokeSpe chapter? Those Contest outfits they wear in the game are 'couple outfits' made by Ruby. He's roping her in for a contest in the future! lol

Hoenn and Frantic are not the same, May and Sapphire are not the same, Brendan and Ruby are not the same, I think that we shouldn't talk about them in this thread But yeah, I love them too Yes, We got a lot of HoennShipping in ORAS (And NewRival/LoveRival/AdvancedChampion too, buuut, we got moments, so yeah xD) Our neighbor (May or Brendan) seems to like us a lot! This count as a hint, I guess

I don't mind if we talk a little bit about Frantic since we kinda did with ContestKing/Queen a few posts back. :)

lol The rival does seem to like the player character, though sometimes, I also think they get friendzoned during the main story. Then again, that doesn't stop us shippers! xD

BubChan

Wonderwall
^I Didn't knew that, I'm new on this thread, soooo... Well, so I think that's okay to talk about Frantic here, I love this pairing too, and now that the ORAS chapter has been released, We should give a little time for those canon cuties But, still, Hoenn =/= Frantic, just a reminder. Brendan/May got "friendzoned" in the story, but I think that your rival just said that you're his/her best friend just to hide his/her feelings for you xD

Mocksie

What made you support this pairing?

I never used to ship these two, or really think much of the pairing at all. When I did my first playthrough of the original Ruby as May, Brendan honestly just came off as kind've a jerk that ended up whimping out halfway through his journey. May was a little bit better (by that I mean nicer) when I played through with Brendan as the PC, but I still didn't get any vibes from their relationship like in the remakes. So, their relationship in the remakes is what made me start supporting the pairing, they look adorable together in these games.

What was your favorite Hoennshipping moment from ORAS?

Definitely the nostalgic moment at the pond, plus the surprise battle after beating the Pokemon League. But, the "date" they had after the Delta episode was also pretty cute. I thought it was adorable that their parents, in some sense, were trying to push them to go on the date by giving them tickets. I've never had a moment like this in a Pokemon game, but after both of those scenes I was definitely screaming "Now kiss!" in my head.

Has your views on this ship changed at all since playing the ORAS games?

Considering I never shipped them before these games, definitely. When I started playing OR, I was honestly just expecting Brendan to have the same jerkish personality with minimal dialogue like in the originals. I was a bit surprised to see him instead awkwardly stumbling around/stuttering when talking to the PC, and also being incredibly supportive of her and her accomplishments. Asking to travel to different towns with her, plus doing the double battle against Team Magma/Aqua was a nice touch. In general, I really liked how they revamped his personality in this, and not just the bits that can be perceived as romantic, but other parts too (such as lying about buying pokedolls). I haven't seen May's side of it yet, but I plan to do my next playthrough as Brendan so I can see her dialogue.

Granted, this kind of relationship does make Brendan and May seem more like friends (or maybe a little more...) than true rivals, but that's not always a bad thing. Not all rivals need to be assholes like Blue and Silver, because as great as they were, it would get dull if the same personality was repeated over and over. I really like that GF is trying to establish relationships more in the Pokemon games, even if they aren't explicitly romantic. B/W had the PC's various interactions with N, which ended up really changing him as a person by the end of the game. XY had the whole scene with Shauna (although less romantic-feeling as the female PC), plus more interactions with the rival character than any other Pokemon game. Then, ORAS upped it even more, making the rival-PC relationship appear borderline romantic in nature, plus creating more interactions between the PC and characters like Steven, Wally, Archie/Maxie, and the Magma/Aqua Admins than the original RSE games.

I somehow doubt that we'll ever see a confirmed romantic relationship between the PC and another character in the Pokemon games (non-supporters would hate the idea of feeling forced into a relationship). I think Brendan/May in this game is the closest we will probably ever get, but I do think it was supposed to be strongly implied that whoever was the rival had a crush on the other. I would not be surprised if I heard that GameFreak shipped these two as well.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!

I never used to ship these two, or really think much of the pairing at all. When I did my first playthrough of the original Ruby as May, Brendan honestly just came off as kind've a jerk that ended up whimping out halfway through his journey. May was a little bit better (by that I mean nicer) when I played through with Brendan as the PC, but I still didn't get any vibes from their relationship like in the remakes. So, their relationship in the remakes is what made me start supporting the pairing, they look adorable together in these games.

Definitely the nostalgic moment at the pond, plus the surprise battle after beating the Pokemon League. But, the "date" they had after the Delta episode was also pretty cute. I thought it was adorable that their parents, in some sense, were trying to push them to go on the date by giving them tickets. I've never had a moment like this in a Pokemon game, but after both of those scenes I was definitely screaming "Now kiss!" in my head.

Has your views on this ship changed at all since playing the ORAS games?

Considering I never shipped them before these games, definitely. When I started playing OR, I was honestly just expecting Brendan to have the same jerkish personality with minimal dialogue like in the originals. I was a bit surprised to see him instead awkwardly stumbling around/stuttering when talking to the PC, and also being incredibly supportive of her and her accomplishments. Asking to travel to different towns with her, plus doing the double battle against Team Magma/Aqua was a nice touch. In general, I really liked how they revamped his personality in this, and not just the bits that can be perceived as romantic, but other parts too (such as lying about buying pokedolls). I haven't seen May's side of it yet, but I plan to do my next playthrough as Brendan so I can see her dialogue.

Granted, this kind of relationship does make Brendan and May seem more like friends (or maybe a little more...) than true rivals, but that's not always a bad thing. Not all rivals need to be assholes like Blue and Silver, because as great as they were, it would get dull if the same personality was repeated over and over. I really like that GF is trying to establish relationships more in the Pokemon games, even if they aren't explicitly romantic. B/W had the PC's various interactions with N, which ended up really changing him as a person by the end of the game. XY had the whole scene with Shauna (although less romantic-feeling as the female PC), plus more interactions with the rival character than any other Pokemon game. Then, ORAS upped it even more, making the rival-PC relationship appear borderline romantic in nature, plus creating more interactions between the PC and characters like Steven, Wally, Archie/Maxie, and the Magma/Aqua Admins than the original RSE games.

I somehow doubt that we'll ever see a confirmed romantic relationship between the PC and another character in the Pokemon games (non-supporters would hate the idea of feeling forced into a relationship). I think Brendan/May in this game is the closest we will probably ever get, but I do think it was supposed to be strongly implied that whoever was the rival had a crush on the other. I would not be surprised if I heard that GameFreak shipped these two as well.

This; and I'm cool with that. I know there's been a lot of protag/protag vs protag/rival ship wars, so I am completely fine if GF leaves the player characters relationship vague up to a point. I love how us fans can interpret the characters' relationships with each other; it's why shipping can be fun. :)

And I know this is a little off-topic for the thread, but can I ask why people thought Brendan was a bit of a jerk in the original RSE? I'm just curious because I've always seen him as a typical 10-ish year old boy, so I honestly didn't have a probably with his less than developed character when you play as May. I mean, most guys I grew up with around at that age were always trying to put up a front, but I wouldn't call them jerks. Arrogant, yes, but not jerks unless they really peeved me off. lol Is this maybe one of the reasons why May is seemingly more popular than Brendan if we disregard the fact that May got a prominent role in the anime?

Mocksie

This; and I'm cool with that. I know there's been a lot of protag/protag vs protag/rival ship wars, so I am completely fine if GF leaves the player characters relationship vague up to a point. I love how us fans can interpret the characters' relationships with each other; it's why shipping can be fun. :)

And I know this is a little off-topic for the thread, but can I ask why people thought Brendan was a bit of a jerk in the original RSE? I'm just curious because I've always seen him as a typical 10-ish year old boy, so I honestly didn't have a probably with his less than developed character when you play as May. I mean, most guys I grew up with around at that age were always trying to put up a front, but I wouldn't call them jerks. Arrogant, yes, but not jerks unless they really peeved me off. lol Is this maybe one of the reasons why May is seemingly more popular than Brendan if we disregard the fact that May got a prominent role in the anime?

I recall the original RSE Brendan saying things like "this is so easy even you could do it!" and of course "unlike you, your Dad looks really tough." There are other examples too, and I honestly viewed those remarks as more of him being a jerk than simply just being arrogant. Blue was arrogant, and definitely characteristic of how I remember boys being at that age, not so much Brendan. Honestly, I viewed Brendan as a bit more of an *** than Blue, because his remarks seemed more like insults rather than just "Haha I'm better than you!". It didn't help that Brendan didn't even have the battling skills to back it up, considering he gave up halfway through the journey (at least Blue had some grounds for his arrogance). Plus, the game tried to portray Brendan as your friend, which annoyed me, since I wouldn't keep someone as my friend who made remarks like that to me.

I know I kinda preferred playing as Brendan in the original RSE just for that reason (even though I'm a female irl). At least May was a nice friend. That's not to say that I don't like arrogant/jerk rivals, since Blue and Silver are two of my favorites, but if the game tells you this person is supposed to be your friend, I want them to at least act like it. It's made pretty clear that Blue and Silver are not your friends (although I suppose it is somewhat debatable with Blue), not the case with Brendan/May though.

MonMonCandie

Radio - On Air!
^ Hmm, I guess it could be seen that way, but I guess it still didn't bother me when Brendan had lines like that. lol I never took them seriously; probably because I have a friend who acts like that (though she's a girl, so maybe it's seen in a different way?) and I know she's just joking with me. I'm guessing that since we couldn't gauge facial expressions back in sprite form, people can take those comments as either way. *shrugs* I can't even remember if Brendan still had those lines in ORAS; it's been a while since I beat the game. lol xD As for his battling skills, can't say I can really judge it since that's an 'in-universe' thing. I mean, yeah, he's making such big remarks like that, but I've always thought that the rivals in the original RSE were handled poorly, considering neither Brendan nor May had a full team by the time they stop being your rival.

Honestly, Silver beats Blue (and Brendan I guess) in the jerky department for me. I totally love him as much as I love Blue, but I guess it's because I grew up with GSC first that I liked him as your jerk*** rival. xD Off-topic, but wanted to mention that.

Kiryn

^No, I'm pretty sure that Brendan doesn't really have lines like that anymore in ORAS. I think the worst thing he says (that I've seen people jump on, anyway) was a line when you (as May, obvs XD) first meet him, and he says something about how when he heard about Norman's kid moving in next door, that he'd hoped you would be a boy. I personally didn't take that as a mean comment, at least not intentionally so; a bit tactless, maybe, but hey, he's supposed to be like 12 years old, and some kids just have no tact, regardless of their gender (I know, because I was one of them....and still am, sometimes XD lulz i am just not the best with social cues at times XP). And I guess Brendan is also a bit surprised on how good of a trainer you turn out to be, but I have the impression that Brendan's been a trainer for a bit longer than you have, and so it's more of a comment on your noob-ness than a slight against your gender. Like, "Huh, you're already pretty good, even though you just started out as a trainer", instead of "Omg, you're good, but you're a girl, wut o_O". But again, that's just my feeling on him in ORAS. And I can't speak for how he was in the original games, 'cause I never owned them. XD

Now, uh, on to me discussing the actual topic, and answering those questions. XD

Like with many people, it was the nostalgic bike ride/nighttime stroll towards home after you beat the League that did it for me. Just...that quiet, soft, fairly romantic music, the introspection of how much they've grown and how far they've come, gazing up at the stars, no rush and hurry, just the two of you existing, that intimate feeling of being with someone and feeling like you're the only person that matters in the whole world, or matters the most.....man, I'm a sucker for those kinds of moments, and so after a whole game of some pretty strong ship teases, this moment did me in. Sure, grand, bombastic, epic love stories and moments have their place, but THIS kind of scene feels more...idk, realistic? And I love it especially because it's not really about Brendan and May being in love with each other, so much as it's about their character development, and thanking each other for helping them grow as a person, and to me, that's far more romantic than dramatic declarations of love. So, uh, ironically, the scene not being about ~love~ is what made me ship them....XD

Lol, the above that I just described. XD Again, I'm such a sucker for well-done scenes like that. Quiet moments of intimacy and a comfortableness and overlaid with narrative symmetry are my jam~~~ XD

Have your views on this ship changed at all since playing the ORAS games?

Well, yes, in the sense that I didn't ship it before I played the games, but I didn't play the original games either, so it wasn't exactly on my radar before, and I don't have anything to compare it back to XD ORAS definitely introduced its wonders to me though! :p

How do you think Brendan/May would react to any potential love rivals?

Ahhhh. In a general sense, I despise love triangles and any kind of that sort of drama, ESPECIALLY if two girls are being pitted against each other over someone, because lord knows we're conditioned to tear each other down enough as it is, and this kind of crap needs to stop being glorified or seen as a ~necessary step~ and rite of passage in life, and it all just ends up being this toxic, downward spiral and I Do Not Approve. :/ Also, with the advent of me discovering polyamory, my impatience with love triangles has greatly increased, and I just don't see much appeal in them. HOWEVER, I do recognize that, being teenagers and dealing with puberty and weird hormones and conflicting emotions and the insecurity that comes with trying to find your place in the world and how all of that relates with the people around you, being jealous and insecure over relationships is something that'd be in-character and an experience that most teenagers probably go through during their lives, especially depending on how rigid of a society they've grown up with, and deviation from the 'norms', either in yourself or in the people around you, is something you've been taught to fear, it's often dealt with by lashing out. So, okay. It's a thing. And realistically, these are things May and Brendan would probably go through. *grumps*

Brendan, I think, is likely to be more insecure in himself than May is (we're already shown in the game that he's not secure enough in his own masculinity to be comfortable with being seen buying dolls), so I think he would become more visibly upset and agitated at people showing interest in May, and he might not have the self-confidence to think that he'd be interesting enough to hold May's attention long-term. So this would lead him to acting out, and doing increasingly ridiculous things to get and keep her attention. Like, if May's showing interest in something that Steven is saying, Brendan would barge in between them and be all, "HEY MAY, LOOK AT ME, WATCH ME JUGGLE THESE ROCKS :D". May's reaction to these displays would be bemusement, I think, and at first Brendan would brush off her attempts at talking to him about it, and be like, "What, no, I'm totally fine, of course there's nothing wrong, why would there be", though eventually she'd hem him in to talking about his ~feelings~. As Brendan matures and gains more confidence in himself, I think he would start to mellow out and not feel that he has to try so hard to be "enough" for May.

As far as May goes, I think she would go sort of the opposite way. My impression of her as a character is that she's bubbly and enthusiastic and energetic and loud, and instead of being like Brendan, who, the more insecure he is, the louder and more obnoxious he becomes, when May is insecure, I think she would become quieter and more withdrawn. If she saw Brendan as being interested in someone else, or someone hitting on him, she would have started off as her usual self, like, "OH HEY BRENDAN YOU KNOW I WAS JUST THINKING, oh wait you're talking to someone and you're busy, sorry for interrupting and being a bother, I'll just....go.....away...somewhere else now..." And I think May is a person who gets embarrassed easily, as she doesn't fit into the traditional gender roles of being demure and refined and ladylike, and when she gets excited about something, she wouldn't realize how loud and fast she'd start talking, but when she does or has it pointed out to her, she'd blush and start stammering and shuts herself up as quickly as possible. She'd paste on a smile too if confronted about it by Brendan, and force herself to focus on other things in an effort to pretend it's all fine, but as she herself matures and grows comfortable with Brendan, and maybe once he tells her that the things she thinks are embarrassing about herself, he thinks are cute, then she'd be able to open up and be honest.

Okay, okay, I'm MOVING ON, i swear XD

How would the other characters see the Brendan/May relationship?

I'm pretty sure just about everyone in Hoenn ships it. Especially their parents. XD I think Steven would think it's amusing, Wallace would be laughing at Brendan's probable jealousy of Steven, even though Steven would never date a kid like that, Zinnia would tease the heck out of them, Wally would be a little devil and join in with Zinnia, and maybe when he's hanging out with them individually, innocently suggest for them to get flowers for each other and eventually long-sufferingly put up with their pre-date jitters. Teams Aqua and Magma, and especially Archie and Maxie, would side-eye the boy/girlfriend of their adopted child pest, and indulge in a little hazing and they'd be the ones who would give the "don't you dare break their heart, or I will hurt you" speech. Lisia would coo over them and give them matching outfits, with Wallace's help. XD

okay, now i'm done, for reals. XD just didn't want to see this thread die quite yet :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.