• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hold the Phione! (581)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Mischievous Phione!!

Arriving in Akebi Town, Ash & Co. discover that everyone is hyped about the coming Phione migration nearby. With the city ready for it, Ash & Co. see the Phione. However, one of them leaves the travelling and ends up in town. Team Rocket want this Phione and are willing to do anything to get it.

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

TurtwigFan1

burning it down
Looks like a great episode, I'll watch it later. I'm glad to see Phione, and even gladder to see plenty of them. I hope Dawn seeing Phione gives her the luck to win the Akebi Contest!

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Phione plushies are being sold in Akabi Town. But hey, this series as a whole is one big advertisement. And a Phione festival? That's like having a festival for Aquaman. After all, they're both totally useless aquatic denizens.

Unsurprisingly, Movie 9 BGM comprised the majority of this episode. And apparently, Phione is a slime monster who can ooze through garden hoses and kitchen faucets and will someday probably end up in a can of Sierra Mist.

A decent episode with not a hell of a lot going on. And I know somebody who's going to be unhealthily excited over a certain giant plush in a certain Giovanni fantasy...

uber gon

Accept Change
I guess this sorta proves that there is a possibility for multiple legendary pokémon. Heh I'd love to see a nest of Zapdos or some other legendary at some point.

halloweenghost

Reminds me of the time when 4kids used to edit out anything that was pokemon merchandice,.. wonder what they would have done with the phione dolls

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I guess this sorta proves that there is a possibility for multiple legendary pokémon. Heh I'd love to see a nest of Zapdos or some other legendary at some point.

Didn't we already know that? There already have been multiple birds, multiple Mew and more.

thunderblade12

I liked a few things about this episode:

- Phione is really unique. The way it oozes through faucets and hoses is pretty cool. And I thought it was going to be boring.

- Buneary beats a pseudo-legendary? Thats cool. Since its just being used in the appeal round in the next contest its a good battle win for Buneary. I don't care if Phione is legendary or not, those stats are higher than a good handful of pokemons; especially an unevolved pokemon like Buneary.

There were some things I didn't like though.

Phione had a crush on Buneary and a grudge against Pikachu right? So why did Buneary fight Phione and not Pikachu? Phione didn't seem to restrain any.

Also, at the beginning when Dawn announced that she was using Pachirisu and Buneary for the upcoming contest and Piplup got sad, Dawn didn't by any chance promise to use it in the next contest did she?

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
Reminds me of the time when 4kids used to edit out anything that was pokemon merchandice,.. wonder what they would have done with the phione dolls

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, frankly. 'Cause that wasn't a 4Kids decision, to my knowledge - it's a law stating that real-life children's merchandise can't be depicted on kids' shows in America, since it's interpreted as a form of advertising. Does that not apply anymore?

kpt25

Steel type trainer
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, frankly. 'Cause that wasn't a 4Kids decision, to my knowledge - it's a law stating that real-life children's merchandise can't be depicted on kids' shows in America, since it's interpreted as a form of advertising. Does that not apply anymore?
it does apply,that's why 4kids has to edit the card format in the Yugioh! animes(all three series,as in japan they show they actual cards in the anime)
btw,this was a kinda funny episode,i lol'd a phione looking for buneary like he was slimer

Blaziryu

OMG! Once again, Ash's group & TR prove that they're complete idiots. There it was, Phione was right there. And there wasn't just one, but three of them. And they weren't even one of the type of legendary PKMN that disturbs the order of natural if like those legendaries in the movies.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Aside from what's already been said...you can effing BREED PHIONE AND HATCH THEM FROM EGGS. Oh sure, you only get more copies of the crappy all-80-base stat thalidomide baby Pokemon from it, but you can still breed it. It's the one legendary that can you can get multiples of without trading from other carts or using AR! Some people...

Is there any real merchandise remotely like this, though? I thought all the plushies and crap were of cute, marketable Pokemon like Pikachu, Piplup, and Probopass.

-BUY PHIONE MERCHANDISE.
-God all those dolls and things have soulless eyes. I'm scared, mommy!
-Am I imagining things or does this saleman sound exactly like Professor Oak? Oh wait, Japan has as many different VAs as the States do :x
-Oh no! Team Rocket! I bet they're planning on stealing all the wild Phione that nobody owns!
-This episode is brought to you by All Those Stupid Fish Pokemon That The Writers Can't Showcase Without Making Excuse To Put People Underwater.
-That one Phione seems to like what it sees! I'm not sure why since Buneary is a fuzzy land bunny and Phione is a...water......thing......, but hey. TRU LUV!
-I have no clue what's going on in today's Meowth Acid Trip, but I'm lovin' it.
-Sadly for Phione, love between land rabbits and water mutants was never meant to be, and the episode ended on a tragic note...oh, wait, sorry, Pokemon.
-And those two Phione just ditched the one that was so star struck by Buneary. Can't really blame them.
-Oh no! Team Rocket caught a wild Pokemon! WHERE IS ASHNCO?!
-AshNCo makes its bonds even tighter by doing morning stretches together. Huh.
-I think one of the writers bumped his head, since we're seeing Pokemon of Dawn's that aren't Piplup, and they have their old traces of personality!
-Wait, TR put Phione in a cooking pot? NO, NO EATING SEA MUTANT! BAD TEAM ROCKET!
-Oh god it's entered the water system. WE ARE ALL DOOMED! DOOMED TO DRINKING SEA MUTANT!
-And the lady in the kitchen reacts to a sea thalidomide baby coming out of the faucet in the only proper way: Screaming
-Of COURSE the one time AshNCo rides a bus somewhere is the one time they're being followed by a sea monster.
-Look! Pokeball seals! And you know how YOU can get some of those! Buy Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum, and you can make your POkeballs as cool as Dawn's!
-That's right Ash! Team Rocket CANNOT be allowed to catch a wild Pokemon!
-And Phione simply cannot approve of Buneary favoring Pikachu. Although Pikachu doesn't really give a damn I mean really everything here is one-sided.
-PHINE! PHINE! PHINE! is going to haunt my dreams tonight.
-I'm not one of those freakish superhumans who can tell who animates what just by glancing at a scene, but even I can tell that whoever drew TR near the end is hilariously bad.

Pretty cute episode overall, but thank god we got Phione over with so that the next filler can showcase an interesting Pokemon. Like...uh...anything else, really.

katfairy

The problem isn't that TR are catching wild Pokemon, the problem is that they are not catching them to train but to give to a man who Ash and Brock know from personal experience is bent on world domination. I missed the part where this is considered acceptable behavior by anybody with common sense.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
-And the lady in the kitchen reacts to a sea thalidomide baby coming out of the faucet in the only proper way: Screaming
I admit; I freakin' laughed.
-I'm not one of those freakish superhumans who can tell who animates what just by glancing at a scene, but even I can tell that whoever drew TR near the end is hilariously bad.
Kinoshita. So good guess.
Does anyone mention Manaphy at all? It would be dumb if they didn't.
I didn't hear any mention, but then again, I prefer to tune out any and all traces of the totally pointless and long-dead language known as Japanese. So don't take my word for it.

halloweenghost

yes it is a law but 4kids was incredible anal about it.. alot of others still show dolls and whatnot

thunderblade12

Piplup has kinda become the unlucky one of the group. Did anyone else notice that? It's always being hit by stray attacks.

Mamoswine, Rotom, Phione, the thunder from DP112, etc.

katfairy

Piplup has kinda become the unlucky one of the group. Did anyone else notice that? It's always being hit by stray attacks.

Mamoswine, Rotom, Phione, the thunder from DP112, etc.

Maybe the writers are fed up with the whining about how the "new mascot" is replacing Pikachu who will never be seen again because of the Evil Penguin, so they're putting this in to shut people up.

Or maybe they don't like Piplup themselves, but don't have a choice because some Suit told them to include it and give it a major role, so they use it but go out of their way to have things happen to it. This actually happened on another cartoon I used to watch- the Suits at WB decided that they needed a Hip Black Girl on the show to be the new sidekick, so they told the writers to create a character who was exactly like what some focus group whined about. Since the writers wanted to continue having a job, they did as they were told, but some very unfortunate things happened to that character on a regular basis.

Still, the most likely reason is that they think it's funny. I know I do.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Buneary Vs. Phione, truly a battle of the cute plushies if I ever saw one.

There was a lot of Movie 9 music in this one, surprised though that the connection to Manaphy wasn't mentioned.