• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Holiday Hi-Jynx! (065)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I guess that's true since we also saw a talking Lapras here which didn't make much sense either, although I assumed that the North Pole location that was shown here was an anime exclusive place cuz I doubt Ash's group actually visited the Arctic.

It was an anime-exclusive locale since it wouldn't have made much sense for Satoshi's group to travel thousands of miles. As for Laplace, it wasn't explained how she knew human language, but it wasn't too unrealistic since Nyasu speaks as well.

Leonhart

Imagineer
In hindsight, I don't understand why this episode was edited in Japan to change the color of Rougela's face to purple a few years ago, because it was the West that had issues with Rougela's black face, yet the West has never aired the edited version of this episode as far as I know.

You gotta love the hypocrisy with the Jynx face controversy. We saw James in that ganguro style in the St. Anne episode but now suddenly Jynx being based on that was racist in this episode...

gentwoer

You gotta love the hypocrisy with the Jynx face controversy. We saw James in that ganguro style in the St. Anne episode but now suddenly Jynx being based on that was racist in this episode...

1. Jynx isn't based on Ganguro style

2. James and Jessie when they disguised themselves as school girls in ganguro didn't resemble racist black caricatures. Their skins were ORANGE for one and they didn't have features often used to mock black people ERGO there was no hypocrisy to be had. That's like saying someone is a hypocrite for being offended by minstrel shows while being okay with fake spray on tans. Not remotely the same thing.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
The whole Rougela controversy has always made me wonder why this episode wasn't simply banned outside of Japan from the start like the Safari Zone episode. If offending viewers was something that 4Kids wanted to avoid, then they could've just skipped this episode.

1. Jynx isn't based on Ganguro style

2. James and Jessie when they disguised themselves as school girls in ganguro didn't resemble racist black caricatures. Their skins were ORANGE for one and they didn't have features often used to mock black people ERGO there was no hypocrisy to be had. That's like saying someone is a hypocrite for being offended by minstrel shows while being okay with fake spray on tans. Not remotely the same thing.

But it was still unnaturally dark skin in both cases. How is black skin on Jynx any different from a bad tan when both things were meant to be exaggerated caricatures?

gentwoer

But it was still unnaturally dark skin in both cases. How is black skin on Jynx any different from a bad tan when both things were meant to be exaggerated caricatures?

Minstrel_PosterBillyVanWare_edit.jpg

abc_extreme_tanning_nt_120711_wmain.jpg

Look at both of these images. Tell me which one might be more offensive and insensitive to some.

The problem isn't darker skin. The problem is Jynx unfortunately just so happened to resemble offensive racist black caricatures that were used historically to demean and degrade black americans. Jessie and James ganguro style is just really bad orange spray on tans.

gentwoer

The whole Rougela controversy has always made me wonder why this episode wasn't simply banned outside of Japan from the start like the Safari Zone episode. If offending viewers was something that 4Kids wanted to avoid, then they could've just skipped this episode.

4Kids probably wasn't aware the episode would be offensive to viewers. Anymore than Fox Kids and Saban realized putting a black guy in the black ranger suit and the asian girl in the yellow suit may raise eye brows or having the one black guy on the team wearing a monkey suit in an episode may be not be the brightest idea.

Also 4Kids thought Charmander was only going to be a one-episode only Pokemon and that kids will turn off their tvs if they don't cal rice balls doughnut or pain over them with sandwiches.

Daizy

I call you honey
I never liked Jynx much or even Christmas episodes, so this holiday episode wasn't my cup of tea. The talking Lapras made no sense and Santa Claus being real was even more senseless.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
An alright filler episode. Weezing's Sludge attack looked overpowered again. I liked the fact Jessie at least apologized to Santa Claus, shame she still wanted to steal all the gifts. Lapras' telepathy kind of puzzled me.
7/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
I liked the fact Jessie at least apologized to Santa Claus, shame she still wanted to steal all the gifts.

Musashi's wickedness made me chuckle. I mean, she was being ridiculously vengeful to begin with just because of Rougela taking her toy, yet her unabashed selfishness has always been my favorite thing about her.

Zamin

I really enjoyed this episode. I watched it today seeing as it is Christmas. I don't think Jynx is offensive. I found the episode enjoyable.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zamin said:
I don't think Jynx is offensive.

A lot of fans still don't find Rougela offensive, but the whole "I'm not offended, so others shouldn't be either" logic just doesn't work.

Despite all the Jynx and blackface debates, I really liked this episode since it was festive and we got to see a setting that the show normally ignores. I really liked how Lapras could communicate telepathically even though she wasn't a Psychic Pokemon and Jessie's vendetta against the Jynx for taking her doll was really exaggerated but that's what makes Jessie such a fun character.

I didn't like this episode since it seemed more like a special because of the random north pole setting and all the Christmas stuff that was being referenced. Jynx ended up being the cause of a lot of controversy too because of the blackface thing so it ruined what little enjoyment this episode had. I did like the talking Lapras though and how Jessie invaded the north pole just because she thought that Jynx had stolen her toy doll from when she was young. 5/10