• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Holy S***

Ailenware PC's.

I really think it's bad form to create a game that only a select number of computers can play. I'm not saying that every game should be something I can run on an old Windows 98-powered relic, but making something that only high-end gaming computers can use... just seems like a generally bad idea.

If this is the case, hopefully the creators of this will still wait a while (as it looks like they will, I think?) before releasing a game based around it.

Fenix

Tremulant
Ailenware PC's.
Alienware PC's are actually overcosted and their performance is nowhere near what a decent PC builder can build with the same amount of money.Alienware is just what the non-PC crowd associates with hardcore powerful gaming rigs.

I really think it's bad form to create a game that only a select number of computers can play. I'm not saying that every game should be something I can run on an old Windows 98-powered relic, but making something that only high-end gaming computers can use... just seems like a generally bad idea.

If this is the case, hopefully the creators of this will still wait a while (as it looks like they will, I think?) before releasing a game based around it.
Actually I think creating a game that not everyone can run is beneficial to the industry on the long run. Take the first Crysis for example, when it came out around 1% of gaming systems could run it reasonably well (hell, even now a lot of people can't) but it did serve it's purpose. While being very strong on aesthetics, the game suffered from poor optimization, a lesson other game makers learned from for their own games.

Granted, Crytek took the worst possible path for the sequel and ****ed up big time with Crysis 2, but I think Crysis itself did it what it wanted to do - having the best graphics by a long shot - quite well. It's like someone cutting a clearing the way with a machete, others following by.

On the topic of the video, while it is indeed very interesting, I am not entirely convinced. it reminds me a lot of those ray tracing video demonstration from a while back, and it seems like this tech also suffers from what those did.

It sounds too much like they're trying to find someone to buy their technology, and they convienetly left out two things their technology will have a lot of issues with; shadows and physics (he does mention shadows at the end, but besides a couple of non-rendered shots nothing is shown and he says they're working on it). Right now the best use for their "discovery" is CG cutscenes, I don't see that being used in an actual game unless they can come up with something revolutionary.

I'll keep an eye on 'em, tho.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT

PC gamers can run much better **** in less then the cost of an Alienware PC. They are a pure rip off. I don't see a reason to limit a game that may take a while to take off. PC games especially. Eventually people will catch up.

Surfing_Pikachu

Alienware PC's are actually overcosted and their performance is nowhere near what a decent PC builder can build with the same amount of money.Alienware is just what the non-PC crowd associates with hardcore powerful gaming rigs.
What about their gaming laptops? Getting a desktop for me is pretty much out of the question due to our house's wiring and my need of taking it places.

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
What about their gaming laptops? Getting a desktop for me is pretty much out of the question due to our house's wiring and my need of taking it places.

Laptops are harder to build, so they would be semi-viable.

But, I'd say just look around.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
There are laptops around sadly those are limited much more than desktop. Look around and see which laptops work with whatever you want to play. Not just Alienware but other brands too.

Night Shadow

BRRAAP BRRAAP

I personally never owned an Alienware, but I've just heard their overpriced, but quality.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
They are basically PC versions of Mac computers. Over Priced but they aren't terrible.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Also loool at this guy.
>has never touched a system that doesn't have NINENDO plastered on it
>has a superiority complex
>"I DON'T LIKE IT, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT, SO THAT MEANS ITS TERRIBLE"
1/10, because you made me reply.
Greentexting outside of 4chan? Really? My ****ing god. Have you been there so long that your brain has degenerated to the point where you have to use greentext to get your point across? It's not that hard to avoid doing.
By whom, when, and where? Out of interest. Is it someone/thing/place that would generally be considered credible by most of us in /ovgd/?
I'd be willing to bet he's talking about Notch. So no.

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
Notch said:
Well, it is a scam.

They made a voxel renderer, probably based on sparse voxel octrees. That’s cool and all, but.. To quote the video, the island in the video is one km^2. Let’s assume a modest island height of just eight meters, and we end up with 0.008 km^3. At 64 atoms per cubic millimeter (four per millimeter), that is a total of 512 000 000 000 000 000 atoms. If each voxel is made up of one byte of data, that is a total of 512 petabytes of information, or about 170 000 three-terrabyte harddrives full of information. In reality, you will need way more than just one byte of data per voxel to do colors and lighting, and the island is probably way taller than just eight meters, so that estimate is very optimistic.

So obviously, it’s not made up of that many unique voxels.

In the video, you can make up loads of repeated structured, all roughly the same size. Sparse voxel octrees work great for this, as you don’t need to have unique data in each leaf node, but can reference the same data repeatedly (at fixed intervals) with great speed and memory efficiency. This explains how they can have that much data, but it also shows one of the biggest weaknesses of their engine.

Another weakness is that voxels are horrible for doing animation, because there is no current fast algorithms for deforming a voxel cloud based on a skeletal mesh, and if you do keyframe animation, you end up with a LOT of data. It’s possible to rotate, scale and translate individual chunks of voxel data to do simple animation (imagine one chunk for the upper arm, one for the lower, one for the torso, and so on), but it’s not going to look as nice as polygon based animated characters do.

It’s a very pretty and very impressive piece of technology, but they’re carefully avoiding to mention any of the drawbacks, and they’re pretending like what they’re doing is something new and impressive. In reality, it’s been done several times before.

Just because his game isn't exactly the prettiest thing to look at, doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about. Plus, they've been showing of the same demo since 2003.