• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Homeschooling

Are you for homeschooling?

• Yes Homeschooling FTW

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • No Homeschooling deprives a child of experience

Votes: 60 59.4%

• Total voters

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Let's say you have two friends. Those two friends each have two other friends, too. Those other four friends each have two friends, too. But those other two friends have no friends except for the previously mentioned ones. That's a dead end to me.

Of course, if you look at it as a circle then I suppose you could say there is no dead end because a circle has neither a begin nor an end, but it isn't a circle, because you are not in contact with those last 8 friends (maybe not even with the four friends of your two friends).

You can only consider it a dead end if you're concerned with everyone having two, exclusive new friends - which isn't necessary. A few of these people will be perfectly happy with two friends, and if they feel unfufilled, they can still make friends with more people up the tree. Not all of them have to be exclusive friends.

Since when is quantity over quality, and more importantly, why is the problem of having more friends valid to school? This is a matter of education, not socially stacking the numbers. I already satisfied your criteria for homeschoolers having friends.

natie

Mr. F
Fair enough, then. I have nothing more to refute what you said.

You win.

Tendo

Banned
And this matters, why?

Even agoraphobics can function in society and work a job now thanks to transmitted messages over the internet. Even the autistic, despite their introverted manner, if they are brilliant, can exceed in life.

Those are worse case scenarios, but compared to those, the "loss of social experience" seems really small potatos, and do not amount to an actual disadvantage in the work field.

Also I'd like to point out that being socially inept or euphoniously shy can lead to parents placing their children in homeschooling; it's not simply the result of it. Correlation =/= Causation.
If you've thoroughly studied psychology and the minds of serial killers, you would know that they exhibit symptoms (also known as "warning signs") such as social retardation, lack of initiative in the work place and of course, homicidal tendencies.

Some people aren't born as "killers", but when they feel they've been ignored their whole life they choose to attack others to gain the attention they crave so badly.

People who are ignored do have the potential to become a serial killer and we don't want that in our society.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
If you've thoroughly studied psychology and the minds of serial killers, you would know that they exhibit symptoms (also known as "warning signs") such as social retardation, lack of initiative in the work place and of course, homicidal tendencies.

Some people aren't born as "killers", but when they feel they've been ignored their whole life they choose to attack others to gain the attention they crave so badly.

People who are ignored do have the potential to become a serial killer and we don't want that in our society.

That's hilarious. So,

People who are less skilled in social situations may go to homeschooling, or by going to homeschooling people may become less skilled in social situations.

Sometimes people who aren't skilled in social situations become serial killers. A majority of them don't.

So obviously, homeschooling makes you a serial killer.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
I'm being homeschooled for the first time this year.

It sucks. But I guess if you start younger, it becomes comfortable. I hate it though, the lack of social contact and the more concentration you have to put into it because you're doing work that you deem unnecessary and something that you'll never use in life in an environment you relax in.

(Funny thing is, I'm being homeschooled because I've been expelled by the School District for the school year because they think I'm a psychopath, lol.)

Last edited:

Tendo

Banned
That's hilarious. So,

People who are less skilled in social situations may go to homeschooling, or by going to homeschooling people may become less skilled in social situations.

Sometimes people who aren't skilled in social situations become serial killers. A majority of them don't.

So obviously, homeschooling makes you a serial killer.
The fact that they don't get out much and don't have as many social opportunities as "normal" kids gets factored into the equation. The lack of human contact can eventually build up into full blow resentment, it's happened many times before. You'd be surprised how many serial killers were home schooled in their junior years of high school.

Dark Eevee

It sucks. But I guess if you start younger, it becomes comfortable. I hate it though, the lack of social contact and the more concentration you have to put into it because you're doing work that you deem unnecessary and something that you'll never use in life in an environment you relax in.
You do know that school is for education, not socializing.

The fact that they don't get out much and don't have as many social opportunities as "normal" kids gets factored into the equation. The lack of human contact can eventually build up into full blow resentment, it's happened many times before. You'd be surprised how many serial killers were home schooled in their junior years of high school.
Show me something that proves this.

Tendo

Banned
Show me something that proves this.
Seung Hui Cho was ignored for the majority of his life, isolated by others and left out of things. Ironically, he was home schooled for about a year or so after he migrated to America. He was the perpetrator in the Virgina Tech massacre.

Tropios

':o Me is stinky??'
You do know that school is for education, not socializing.

uuum well schools here always say that theyre not only for education but also social stuff

besides i would go to school only for friends0 which i actually do

CSolarstorm

New spicy version

You'd be surprised how many politicians and famous actors were homeschooled. Or handicapped kids who needed extra attention at home. And you'd be surprised how many public schools turned out killers before they even graduated. See, it works both ways.

You're making a correlation based on shock factor, not logic. Besides, there's no "lack of contact". There is a lack of manufactured contact that was set up politically - school is a recent invention of the last few decades, before that, kids were taken care of by their parents and socialized with neighbors, etc.

Last edited:

Tropios

You'd be surprised how many politicians and famous actors were homeschooled. Or handicapped kids who needed extra attention at home. And you'd be surprised how many public schools turned out killers before they even graduated. See, it works both ways.

You're making a correlation based on shock factor, not logic. Besides, there's no "lack of contact". There is a lack of manufactured contact that was set up politically - school is a recent invention of the last few decades, before that, kids were taken care of by their parents and socialized with neighbors, etc.

yes, true, but manufactured sounds a lot colder than it actually is. school offers an opportunity to more social contacts, which most take, manufactured sounds like they really dislike having those contacts.

besides, in our whole country, only 615 kids did homeschooling(kids that would normally be in secondary school, actually, but thats still not much)

ShinySandshrew

†God Follower†
I hate it though, the lack of social contact and the more concentration you have to put into it because you're doing work that you deem unnecessary and something that you'll never use in life in an environment you relax in.
And how much of the work at school did you deem necessary? And (correct me if I'm wrong) aren't you doing some of the same subjects as you were at public school? And how do you know that you'll never use it in life? My older bro hated English but now, he loves writing and wants to get a job in journalism. He did not know that though, when he was fussing about English in high-school.

Hi. Normal kid, here. I was homeschooled. No resentment from me. I'm glad I was homeschooled because I didn't have to worry about all the bad parts of public school, like, you know, the gangs, the drugs, the shootings?

And furthermore, what data are you using to support you claim? Why not show us?

Seung Hui Cho was ignored for the majority of his life, isolated by others and left out of things. Ironically, he was home schooled for about a year or so after he migrated to America. He was the perpetrator in the Virgina Tech massacre.
Soooo...when asked who you give one example. Only one?

But look what I found: An article on Seun Hui Cho.

Pay close attention to how many sources this section has: 9. It is not something that the authors just pulled out of the air.

So. Bogus info, dude.

Tropios

I'm glad I was homeschooled because I didn't have to worry about all the bad parts of public school, like, you know, the gangs, the drugs, the shootings?

wow, what do you expect school to be? You'd have to really search for a school that has shootings here, I don't even think there are any. And gangs and drugs do happen, but one school has less than the other. It's not something that makes school suck because you have to worry about it the whole time

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
yes, true, but manufactured sounds a lot colder than it actually is. school offers an opportunity to more social contacts, which most take, manufactured sounds like they really dislike having those contacts.

besides, in our whole country, only 615 kids did homeschooling(kids that would normally be in secondary school, actually, but thats still not much)

Sorry, I wrote "decades" instead of "centuries". Being manufactured certainly isn't a bad thing. In some ways it is certifiably good. But it is...added on to the way humans usually live. It's not something that humans originally had. So it's possibly to exist without it and still be healthy. Does that make sense?

I'm not hating on public school. I think it has its ups and downs, like I said I'd just like to skip middle school and do elementary school and high school. This isn't a "one or the other" thing like debates are always set up as.

Welcome back to the homeschooling thread, ShinySandshrew.

The high school I went to was a small "project school" that just opened a year before I went to it. At least here in Southern California, it's hard to set up any public school that can separate itself from gangs, drugs, etcetera. Even though we were the nicest, most achieved school in town (Hell, President Obama visited us and we got N.A.S.A acreditation!) you still ran the risk of running into these things at our school. There were fights, there was graffiti, one guy died before I graduated. Our Spanish teacher was half blind and half deaf, so everyone used to talk about going out to smoke pot in front of him and he did nothing.

So, schools around you may be great, but here, it's ideal to have an alternative option. And I'm sure there are many of places that feel the same way, that their school systems are failing, and until they can fix them, their parents want a way to keep their kids from being swallowed by the chaos.

Tropios

Sorry, I wrote "decades" instead of "centuries". Being manufactured certainly isn't a bad thing. In some ways it is certifiably good. But it is...added on to the way humans usually live. It's not something that humans originally had. So it's possibly to exist without it and still be healthy. Does that make sense?

I'm not hating on public school. I think it has its ups and downs, like I said I'd just like to skip middle school and do elementary school and high school. This isn't a "one or the other" thing like debates are always set up as.

Welcome back to the homeschooling thread, ShinySandshrew.

The high school I went to was a small "project school" that just opened a year before I went to it. At least here in Southern California, it's hard to set up any public school that can separate itself from gangs, drugs, etcetera. Even though we were the nicest, most achieved school in town (Hell, President Obama visited us and we got N.A.S.A acreditation!) you still ran the risk of running into these things at our school. There were fights, there was graffiti, one guy died before I graduated. Our Spanish teacher was half blind and half deaf, so everyone used to talk about going out to smoke pot in front of him and he did nothing.

So, schools around you may be great, but here, it's ideal to have an alternative option. And I'm sure there are many of places that feel the same way, that their school systems are failing, and until they can fix them, their parents want a way to keep their kids from being swallowed by the chaos.

it depends on the person, id see those things like this: fights=entertainement, grafitti=just paint, spanish teacher=great! I cant see how that's a bad thing and well. death can happen everywhere even in homeschoolig

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
it depends on the person, id see those things like this: fights=entertainement, grafitti=just paint, spanish teacher=great! I cant see how that's a bad thing and well. death can happen everywhere even in homeschoolig

Oh yes, going back to unpredictable anarchy every day was just a hoot. When those two girls interrupted math class by trying to kill each other under the blackboard, now that was entertainment. When my friend was depressed for a week cause his friend got shot in gang warfare, that was stimulation. The gang wouldn't be quite so cohesive if the school didn't bring the kids together to form it. The big ugly black letters over the cafeteria windows, just beautiful. Oh and it was great to see how trustworthy Mr. Zendajas the Spanish teacher was when four men lifted my wheelchair up and away from a desk so they could take the computer I was sitting at. Eventually he didn't teach Spanish at all. He just let the class bring in movies and tell him what to put in for the day.

And this was a good school, and I was a good student. Mind you, I'm proud of my high school, but it was a hotbed for disaster. The kids voiced their very obvious hate for it through graffiti. See the dilemna?

I apologize if the sarcasm came on too strong. I could up the ante by going on about the whacko who sewed his fingers together during a test.

Last edited:

Exodd

Going to a public school does not necessarily help children be more social. When seeing the idiocy, selfishness, and arrogance exhibited by other students as they fretted over relatively insignificant matters while there were so many problems going on in the world around them, I didn't care to socialize with them at all.

Though I think that parents should be teaching their own children instead of sending them into crowded classrooms, I don't think doing so while still following government guidelines helps students any more than public schooling.

The systems of compulsory "education" seem to be more for attempting to keep children and their parents in check, and attempting to pressure students into willfully joining the vicious cycles of human society, rather than for providing necessary education for survival.

Last edited:

Noheart

The Abysswalker
And how much of the work at school did you deem necessary? And (correct me if I'm wrong) aren't you doing some of the same subjects as you were at public school? And how do you know that you'll never use it in life? My older bro hated English but now, he loves writing and wants to get a job in journalism. He did not know that though, when he was fussing about English in high-school.

Little to none, really. And I'm taking some different subjects then I would be taking in high school.

I was supposed to take Biology this year, but I'm taking Physical Science instead.

I was supposed to take English this year, But I'm taking College-Prep English instead, etc.

I also have an immense hatred for mathematics of all kinds, therefore I know I won't be doing anything too heavily related to the damned subject in my future. So when we have the option to choose what we want to study, why do we have to do what the school district wants in order to pass? I've seen the school board of my district, and have argued with them. They're a bunch of blockheaded morons who shouldn't be at the head of an educational board.

But I digress. Being public schooled for most of my life, makes me have more of a liking to that instead of the socially cut off homeschooling.

I'm not even taught, my parents basically throw books at my face and go "read it."

I also have to write out the damned constitution, but I can't type it. I think my dad's getting a little bit too full of himself. No one even listens to the God damned thing anymore anyway, thanks to Bush and Nobama and a list of other presidents that had no idea what they were doing.

Tropios

Oh yes, going back to unpredictable anarchy every day was just a hoot. When those two girls interrupted math class by trying to kill each other under the blackboard, now that was entertainment. When my friend was depressed for a week cause his friend got shot in gang warfare, that was stimulation. The gang wouldn't be quite so cohesive if the school didn't bring the kids together to form it. The big ugly black letters over the cafeteria windows, just beautiful. Oh and it was great to see how trustworthy Mr. Zendajas the Spanish teacher was when four men lifted my wheelchair up and away from a desk so they could take the computer I was sitting at. Eventually he didn't teach Spanish at all. He just let the class bring in movies and tell him what to put in for the day.

And this was a good school, and I was a good student. Mind you, I'm proud of my high school, but it was a hotbed for disaster. The kids voiced their very obvious hate for it through graffiti. See the dilemna?

well, shootings dont happen here much and gangs are pretty reasonable. I know our schools are very good but its also pretty boring if nothing happens. And well, that grafitti wouldnt make me sad or anything but don't they erase it?

You can't just hide from those things forever you know, they also happen after school.

It really depends on the person, if such things bother you, okay, but if you just make yourself sad if you see whatever happens in school, thats pretty much your problem. Not to be rude but if something annoys you that much you'd rather stay away, well, I say it's you who thinks its annoying. Most of the time its like a spiral: You're making it worse and worse for yourself.

Not saying it aplies to you, but many people are like that.

Like people who think most people in school are idiots; it's most of the times their problem.

I see things positive or ignore them, because most of the times, there isn't a problem at all.

What?!

Oh, come on...nobody caught this? Only 615 kids in whose country? Since you don't list your location, I can't be sure what you mean, but if you are speaking of America I'm relatively certain that is far too low of a statistic. Did you mean to say "county"? I'm thinking there are some counties in the U.S. that have more than 615 homeschool kids.

well, shootings dont happen here much and gangs are pretty reasonable. I know our schools are very good but its also pretty boring if nothing happens. And well, that grafitti wouldnt make me sad or anything but don't they erase it?

You can't just hide from those things forever you know, they also happen after school.

It really depends on the person, if such things bother you, okay, but if you just make yourself sad if you see whatever happens in school, thats pretty much your problem. Not to be rude but if something annoys you that much you'd rather stay away, well, I say it's you who thinks its annoying. Most of the time its like a spiral: You're making it worse and worse for yourself.

Not saying it aplies to you, but many people are like that.

Like people who think most people in school are idiots; it's most of the times their problem.

I see things positive or ignore them, because most of the times, there isn't a problem at all.
Seriously dude, you're argument is wrong on so many levels. Graffiti isn't a problem because it might make you sad; it's a problem because it is deliberate vandalism of school property. If vandals will do that, what else might they do? I suppose some personal concerns could be considered as well, (like whether the graffiti expresses things the parents do not wish for their children to see, things that the school also disallows), but by bringing that up, you basically turned SunnyC's argument into a straw man.

Good thing you said you didn't apply those ideas to SunnyC, because they are actually kinda insulting. It really isn't acceptable to say most people are making it worse for themselves...after gangs and drugs are mentioned! Those are the fault of other people, not the one who objects to these things!

"You can't hide from these things forever"? What?! Some people go through their whole lives without entering any form of confrontation with a gang member. Some people live a life without ever coming into contact with illegal drugs. As a matter of fact, they aren't "deprived" if they happen not to ever have these experiences. Since these things can absolutely ruin a child's public school experience (and even take their life in some cases), that is a large weakness of the public school system.