• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Homework and Such

Bulk

Well, it has come to my atention, and a few other memebers who I've spoken to in my time here (well over a year), that Forums and Pokemon seem to distact people from revising and homework. I'm not trying to blame Serebiiformus for ruin people's GCSE results or whatever, just a suggestion that could improve the forums as a whole.

I am suggest that a Homework/Revision section is implementated on the forums. It could have sub sections for different subjects and links to helpful revision sites for exams. It could also be a place for people to get help on homeoowrk they are stuck on from other members and help build a friendlier community throught SPPf as a whole.

Of course, this is only a suggestion but if other members feel the same or the have good cases against it, it would be nice if it could be discussed.

Thank you for your time.

To be honest, I think that the homework help thread is enough for this kind of direction as it is. It's true that people might well be distracted from their work due to this place, however, and not to be a dick towards these people, they need to learn some self-control if that is the case.

I like the idea in some ways, however I don't think that there would be a lot of people that use it, and it would be pretty difficult to implement, in that there are a lot of different ways of education within the world.

-Josh

Swampy

Crack the Skye
Bulk said:
Well, it has come to my atention, and a few other memebers who I've spoken to in my time here (well over a year), that Forums and Pokemon seem to distact people from revising and homework. I'm not trying to blame Serebiiformus for ruin people's GCSE results or whatever, just a suggestion that could improve the forums as a whole.

I am suggest that a Homework/Revision section is implementated on the forums. It could have sub sections for different subjects and links to helpful revision sites for exams. It could also be a place for people to get help on homeoowrk they are stuck on from other members and help build a friendlier community throught SPPf as a whole.

Of course, this is only a suggestion but if other members feel the same or the have good cases against it, it would be nice if it could be discussed.

Thank you for your time.
Interesting Idea. Not sure if it would work but I'm not above helping others out. ^__^ It would so rock helping others with homework. I'm 100% for it, but I'm 100% sure that, with bandwidth issues, this could be a big problem.

Last edited:

Bulk

Josh said:
To be honest, I think that the homework help thread is enough for this kind of direction as it is. It's true that people might well be distracted from their work due to this place, however, and not to be a dick towards these people, they need to learn some self-control if that is the case.
I agree with you that control is needed but I also feel that instead of just leaving people to struggle is wrong. A place with varius links for revision would be perefect for someone who is looks for some places that give free example papers to download etc.

Simply posting questions to test people with rewards for the quickest feedback could even encorage peopel to revise or think deeper about the homework being set.

Also, on problems with implementing the section, I also understand that different peopel study different sylabusses and that countries are different in their education systems. but, considering most of the peopel who visit the forums are from either the UK or America, this would only lead to two different sub-sections. If the idea works, more could be implemented for other countries. I just concerned about getting the ball rolling.

POKErUsAm

Macho man!
It would be a good idea but if they keep geting answers and all that isn't. How would they learn if they only recieve answers? Only if they help and not just give answers. I would post in it.
But instead of makeing one section to it, you should get a mod or staff to approve of haveing it in the mics. section.

Jetx

hooray, it's Jetx!
Heh, I for one am guilty of the "rather go on forums than revise" idea. :p

But you wouldn't really need entire forums for it IMO..

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
BBC Bitesize. That helped me pass my GCSE's not people on a pokemon forum. You can't expect to revise on a forum where the people come to have fun. We don't come here to explain how pythagorus works, or the finer points of Shakespear's Macbeth. Especially if you're going to be distracted by other goings on. I practically abandoned TV when I sat my GCSE's, if I was doing them now, I certainly wouldn't be visiting the internet all the time. The homework help thread is enough.

BTW Bulk, you know that quote in your sig is from a Dire Straights song right?

Bulk

Well, I have used BBC Bitesize but the answers I got for the Religious Studies answer to the tests told me I was wrong and simply repeated the answer I gave. I'll still use it but I know there must be better alternatives. And I suppose you are right about certain aspects. People do come here to have fun but surely work and play can be in the same place? Surely some members would feel slightly better off after teaching a younger mod how Pythagoras works from the sense of knowing that you've helped someone get that little bit further. However, I was unaware of the Homework Help thread in the Misc. section.

I suppose if people feel that a whole section is too much then fine but I just wanted people's views on the subject.

Also, yes, I do know that quote is from Dire Straights, hence the reason for the link to the video.

killerjaw01

▼1.618▼
It won't work because there are people on this forum who are from different places in the world, have different curicullums, and are doing different papers by different exam boards. There just isn't enough space or time to write all of these.
www.s-cool.co.uk is a good website to visit if you're in the UK
It also has help for A levels (which I'll be doing), if you want any others, you'll have to Google it.

Paint_Palette

Zephyr Trainer
Nice idea, but there will be plenty of people who abuse this and try to cheat. Why? Because some people are like that? They will turn 'help' into 'cheat'. They'll let people do they're homework for them as opposed to actually learning how to solve it themselves. This would also be home to MANY spammers. People will try to ask things like 'I need to know what 1 + 1 is.' (Although, with those kind of people, it's not that hard to believe that they actually need help with that question. XD) So really, I don't think it's such a good idea, or at least here on SPP, anyways. And even if you make it, it's not gonna stop them from procrastinating, in fact, it's gonna prove them more lazy than they were in the first place.

Magma Leader Maxie

Non caedor caedo
This being a thematic forum with the subject Pokemon, I don't see why there should be a homework section.

There are plenty of other forums/articles on the net where you can get the help you want, and make sure it's checked, correct and professional.

hIrAm

Well, if you just sit down and do your homework before coming on the computer, and deal with it, it's not that hard. I mean, no ever posts in the homework thread anyways. We're not a bunch of idiots. If you need help, ask, but I highly doubt you can explain it over the internet.

No, to this idea.