• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Homework, Ugh.

cazatron

homework is fine if it's beneficial, at school level its often not particularly useful since teachers just set it just because they're supposed to. i never did ANY homework when i was in school but when you get to college you begin to realize that because the learning format is so different, you NEED to finish your work at home or else you get bad grades, usually any homework at college is all going towards your coursework. and at uni it's not compulsory but you do get WAY left behind if you miss a few weeks reading, deadlines are strict and you have to pay if you want to resit an exam etc, so you realize that it's more a case of "well i don't have to but it will help me understand a lot better"

Shadow XD001

I don't like Homeowrk, but I hate it more when it's harder. Depending on the teacher you have, you might have easy or hard homework. As for me, it's usually in the middle, but it's also annoying when it's easy, but it just takes a longtime to finish. I also really hate weekend homework the most. (I miss Elementary School when we never had weekend Homework) Then again, I barely have weekend homework each week (especially during a vacation, like the Winter Break in December), so I guess it's okay. (I'm in 8th Grade, btw)

kiyone

I don't like Homeowrk, but I hate it more when it's harder. Depending on the teacher you have, you might have easy or hard homework. As for me, it's usually in the middle, but it's also annoying when it's easy, but it just takes a longtime to finish. I also really hate weekend homework the most. (I miss Elementary School when we never had weekend Homework) Then again, I barely have weekend homework each week (especially during a vacation, like the Winter Break in December), so I guess it's okay. (I'm in 8th Grade, btw)

You suck at writing and will never make it to college.

pokemonmaster3.0

Stop laughing...
I don't normally mind homework at all. Being one of the smartest kids in the grade (No bragging - it's just a fact)(That wasn't bragging either), it is pretty easy to finish the homework. Ironically, I'm typing this on my busiest weeks of the year (French, Book report+skit, crazy amount of Math, Social Studies, 2 more long LA assignments). I swear, I just hate it when the peoople in my class just complain and always want no homework, and just being lazy (No offense to all other lazy, anti-homework students who post here).

GilligBoi

I think homework is STUPID. Well the way its set up anyway.

I know what your thinking (That guy is a lazy bum) wrong. My reasons for thinking it is a bad idea is you are taught to not bring work home in the real world because it causes stress. If you have to learn something if you want to practice at home of your own choosing that is perfectly fine.

I think homework should be voluntary and have no penalty if you don;t partake in it nor any rewards if you do want to partake in it. All it is is practice. Doing good practice is its own reward in the real world and no one should be penalized if they choose to opt out of bringing stress into the home.

The Fire Starter

IMO instead of letting people laze around during school and assigning them homework later, they should make the school hours actual and devoted work time. No homework, because everything should be handled in the six-seven hours alloted. It's how the real world functions, unless you have a specific job or make your own hours. We should get used to functions in the real world.

No homework doesn't necessarily have to mean your life is easier. Look at most working adults. I hear them complain a lot. (No, really). I'm glad I'm in high school where there is so much cushioning, if I fail I only get a bad grade. I don't get fired, I don't have to worry about income, or anything.

Homework should be eradicated because it's not part of an adult's life style.

TR4eva

A Friendly Rocket
Those of you from the UK would understand what I mean when I say first year GCSE's!!! they are torture, and the homework is sky-high!!! It's unreal and as a matter of fact, I have a big pile of it undone right next to me and it's due in tomorrow...
I had my first exams and I got an A and an A*, the rest I have to wait until January to get hte results and i achieved those grades by doing no revision what so ever and homework DOES NOT HELP YOU DO BETTER!!!

MaskedManAbsolkid

Those of you from the UK would understand what I mean when I say first year GCSE's!!! they are torture, and the homework is sky-high!!! It's unreal and as a matter of fact, I have a big pile of it undone right next to me and it's due in tomorrow...
I had my first exams and I got an A and an A*, the rest I have to wait until January to get hte results and i achieved those grades by doing no revision what so ever and homework DOES NOT HELP YOU DO BETTER!!!

LOL.

Wait until you get to A Level. You'll be curled up in a ball in a corner wetting yourself.

TR4eva

A Friendly Rocket
LOL.

Wait until you get to A Level. You'll be curled up in a ball in a corner wetting yourself.
Great... :(

GCSE's are so annoying, there is so much writing and so many exams!!! I'm studying P.E, Geography, Media and French plus the complusories. Why must there be so much homework, EVERYDAY???!!!
Although, I laugh at other students who get 1 hour detentions for not doing it and I just get away with it every time ;)

Great... :(

GCSE's are so annoying, there is so much writing and so many exams!!! I'm studying P.E, Geography, Media and French plus the complusories. Why must there be so much homework, EVERYDAY???!!!
Although, I laugh at other students who get 1 hour detentions for not doing it and I just get away with it every time ;)
I don't know how much homework you might get for PE or Media, but in place of them I do History and ICT. Just think about that for a moment. History, Geography, ICT and French. One of which is a language (and I suck at languages), another is 100% coursework, with the other two being very knowledge/memorising and essay based subjects.
Not to mention I also do Triple Science, so not only do I have that extra lesson, but I can also get homework from every science lesson a week.

If I wasn't a total nerd, I'd be super stressed.

TheHauntedOne

evil tofu!!!
The way I always saw it in highschool...

I am at school for 7+ hours a day, usually. Within that time frame I am doing nothing but school work. When I get home that should be MY time to do whatever I want. Skateboarding, video games, hanging with friends, watching t.v., anything but more school work. Unfortunately most of my time after school was spent doing: you guessed it, homework.

I feel like I would have had a much richer social life if I wasn't swamped with so much homework in highschool. I can see how essential it can be in college, being as though you're going to college so you can function in the real world, but I think they really should let up on the homework for high schoolers at least.

just my opinion.

TR4eva

A Friendly Rocket
I don't know how much homework you might get for PE or Media, but in place of them I do History and ICT. Just think about that for a moment. History, Geography, ICT and French. One of which is a language (and I suck at languages), another is 100% coursework, with the other two being very knowledge/memorising and essay based subjects.
Not to mention I also do Triple Science, so not only do I have that extra lesson, but I can also get homework from every science lesson a week.

If I wasn't a total nerd, I'd be super stressed.

HOLY SHIZZLE!!!
Well, I'm considered smart but not a nerd so I hate it. We get quite alot of homework for P.E and Media, especially Media! I've got a Controlled Asessment in English and Media next week. AAAHHH!!!

HOLY SHIZZLE!!!
Well, I'm considered smart but not a nerd so I hate it. We get quite alot of homework for P.E and Media, especially Media! I've got a Controlled Asessment in English and Media next week. AAAHHH!!!
What kind of homework can you get for PE? I know there's a theory lesson, as well as the usual (3?) normal lessons.

And yeah, controlled assessments SUCK. If you don't already know, English only accepts black pen. Yeah. Final nail in the coffin, worst subject ever

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
i achieved those grades by doing no revision what so ever and homework DOES NOT HELP YOU DO BETTER!!!

Here's a tip: people are different. What works for you does not always work for the rest of the class. Homework is usually assigned with the benefit of the majority of the class in mind.

The way I always saw it in highschool...

I am at school for 7+ hours a day, usually. Within that time frame I am doing nothing but school work. When I get home that should be MY time to do whatever I want. Skateboarding, video games, hanging with friends, watching t.v., anything but more school work. Unfortunately most of my time after school was spent doing: you guessed it, homework.

I feel like I would have had a much richer social life if I wasn't swamped with so much homework in highschool. I can see how essential it can be in college, being as though you're going to college so you can function in the real world, but I think they really should let up on the homework for high schoolers at least.

just my opinion.

In high school, your learning should be more of a priority than your social life. Look at high school as preparation for college; if you don't work hard in high school, you might not make it into the college that you want. And if you don't get used to a heavy workload now, then where will you be in college?

IMO instead of letting people laze around during school and assigning them homework later, they should make the school hours actual and devoted work time. No homework, because everything should be handled in the six-seven hours alloted. It's how the real world functions, unless you have a specific job or make your own hours. We should get used to functions in the real world.

Homework should be eradicated because it's not part of an adult's life style.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but school hours don't handle everything that we need to work on. Even when people aren't lazy. At my school, there are ninety minutes in each class, each day. At least fifteen minutes account for the warm-ups, then twenty to check homework, then about fifteen to twenty minutes for notes. Then there's a thirty minute practice session to see if we understand the notes, and then the last five to ten minutes are spent working on homework. These times are subject to change, but people always have questions on the homework, the notes, or the warm-ups; this isn't "slacking."

Point in case, a ninety-minute period goes by quickly. And don't ever believe that school should work the way that the "real world" works. School has a more diverse learning group and people have different needs. Sure, certain people need to stop slacking off during school, but school and the "real world" are approached in different ways because classmates and coworkers are two completely different types of people.

TR4eva

A Friendly Rocket
What kind of homework can you get for PE? I know there's a theory lesson, as well as the usual (3?) normal lessons.

And yeah, controlled assessments SUCK. If you don't already know, English only accepts black pen. Yeah. Final nail in the coffin, worst subject ever

We get stuff like remembering where certain muscles and bones are in the body, defining P.E terms, explaining different joints/bones/muscles used in particular sporting actions, researching famous sportspeople and that sort of stuff.
Yeah, I was told that last week when I had several exams... =/

Korotokku

Something..
Home work is more practice for you to learn what ever subject you're learning, it's good for those who want to truly learn & get the practice, but I don't think it's necessary, neither is school all together, the point of life is to make money and maintain yourself that way, you don't need supreme education for that, anyone can survive flipping burgers, pole dancing, or selling drugs that's a fact. I say if you don't want homework why not drop out of school all together and get a head start on life and learn to make money rather than unnecessary math, history, science, and such.
I'd rather you drop out of school and get to work than go to school simply to goof off, if you go to school just to goof off, mess around, or prevent other students who want to learn, from learning, then hear my words of wisdom, get out of school and do something else you don't belong in school at all, think about it.
Lol, that'd be kinda hard for me since I'm Home Schooled.

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
dpepending on the homework, it can help you or its crap (like crosswords) real learning is better with actual nitty gritty schoolwork, not a stupid crossword puzzle for vocab

GalladeX

It's negligible in the long run to me.

When I get home, it's around 3:37 PM (or 3:40 PM if the snow is high and I have to trudge, and I hate trudging).

But anyway, I usually only have Math for homework. I get that done within 40 minutes at the most. If I have to write an essay, it takes me about two hours because I keep procrastinating, haha.

So, really, unless I have to colour something (e.g. posters) homework really doesn't take much time out of my life.

I really actually don't mind, especially if it's something fun like the model pyramid I built out of cotton balls last week.