• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Homosexuality in Children's TV

Mordent99

Banned
I'm not asking what Mike Huckabee has said and done. I'm saying that what you said was wrong. You were wrong. Quit defending it by calling out Republican politicians. I know that's your schtick, but it makes you look incredibly ignorant.

Do you even understand comparisons?

And don't tell me what to do.

chalkus

Freedom of Speech, I can say anything I want on a public forum. (That's the excuse Republicans give for Cruz and Huckabee speaking at a hate group rally.)

You sure do like bring that up, even in threads that have nothing to do with it. This response has gotten well past its expiration date. I guess the next one will be to claim everyone but you is a Trump supporter.

Anyway, I think it's interesting how Japan, which itself has issues when it comes to homosexuality, has had plenty of gay, bisexual and transgendered characters in their anime. going back over three decades. Yet its a huge deal in the west.

Mordent99

Banned
You sure do like bring that up,

Yes.

This response has gotten well past its expiration date.

Remember that the next time someone brings up Hilary defending a rapist when she was a young woman just out of college. Or how Robert Byrd was involved in the clan until he quit in 1953.

Anyway, I think it's interesting how Japan, which itself has issues when it comes to homosexuality, has had plenty of gay, bisexual and transgendered characters in their anime. going back over three decades. Yet its a huge deal in the west.

As an anime and manga fan, I have no idea what you're talking about. (It's in Japanese video games too.)

Last edited:

Mordent99

Banned
Freedom of speech, amirite?

Go read my explanation above. Freedom of Speech does not protect you from rebuttals, retribution, or comeuppance, should you choose to insult or offend someone.

In other words, fine, you can tell me what to do, but don't expect me to even consider actually doing it.

chalkus

Remember that the next time someone brings up Hilary defending a rapist when she was a young woman just out of college. Or how Robert Byrd was involved in the clan until he quit in 1953.

You keep bringing up the stuff about Huckabee and Cruz even when no one references it in any way. That's the difference. It's a pattern of yours. Whenever someone challenges something you post, your default response is to bring up something terrible a Republican did or said.

As an anime and manga fan, I have no idea what you're talking about. (It's in Japanese video games too.)

I don't think you understood what I wrote. I'm saying that anime has had plenty gay characters for decades yet North American animation has practically nothing in comparison.

Mordent99

Banned
You keep bringing up the stuff about Huckabee and Cruz even when no one references it in any way. That's the difference. It's a pattern of yours. Whenever someone challenges something you post, your default response is to bring up something terrible a Republican did or said.

Yep, just like Trump cupporters keep bringing up things from the 80s, 90s, and decades earlier that Hillary supposedly did. Cattle futures, Whitewater, looting the White House, and how she supposedly got a rapist off and sl*t shamed the victim while laughing about it while she was right out of law school, none of which was true. They emphasize how she flunked the bar exam on the first try (much like JFK did) and even claim she ordered Vince Foster murdered.

I will indeed keep bringing up what I see as atrocities committed by Republicans, and until you are willing to condemn the vile attempts at character assassination they spew, I suggest you live with it

I don't think you understood what I wrote. I'm saying that anime has had plenty gay characters for decades yet North American animation has practically nothing in comparison.

So Japan is more accepting of LGBT than we are, you mean? Well, of course! Where you been?

Jibanyan

Examples? I'm asking for CANONICALLY LGBT characters and not yaoi/yuri bait or awful stereotypes.

Mordent99

Banned
Examples? I'm asking for CANONICALLY LGBT characters and not yaoi/yuri bait or awful stereotypes.

Click on the anime tabs of the following links:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BiTheWay

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LipstickLesbian

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButchLesbian

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassGay

And here's the one where bisexuality applies to everyone in the work:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EveryoneIsBi

That's just for starters, btw, I purposely left out the Tropes that with examples portraying it as a bad thing.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I said no bait or stereotypes. TV Tropes is trash and not a reliable source.

http://www.themarysue.com/top-5-queer-voices-anime-manga/

I won't pretend that Japan is better than America in understanding queer relationships, but they are not immune to it, either.
For that, there are some good examples from certain types of anime/manga. America is becoming more embraced with the idea while Japan seems to have more sporadic examples.

Mordent99

Banned
Last edited:

Jibanyan

http://www.themarysue.com/top-5-queer-voices-anime-manga/

I won't pretend that Japan is better than America in understanding queer relationships, but they are not immune to it, either.
For that, there are some good examples from certain types of anime/manga. America is becoming more embraced with the idea while Japan seems to have more sporadic examples.

Ouran and Azumanga sounds like a reach and no RGU?

TV Tropes is bad.

At least this list includes Elizabeth, an actual canon representation of a trans woman.

chalkus

Yep, just like Trump cupporters keep bringing up things from the 80s, 90s, and decades earlier that Hillary supposedly did. Cattle futures, Whitewater, looting the White House, and how she supposedly got a rapist off and sl*t shamed the victim while laughing about it while she was right out of law school, none of which was true. They emphasize how she flunked the bar exam on the first try (much like JFK did) and even claim she ordered Vince Foster murdered.

I will indeed keep bringing up what I see as atrocities committed by Republicans, and until you are willing to condemn the vile attempts at character assassination they spew, I suggest you live with it

And you, as usual, are dodging the issue. You keep bringing up bad deeds of Republicans to deflect attention away from yourself when the statements you make are challenged. Especially when the atrocities you mention have nothing to do with the conversation at hand. It would be like someone in a thread about Middle East policy suddenly bringing up Hillary Clinton lying about taking sniper fire. Makes no sense. But I guess that's just your thing.

So Japan is more accepting of LGBT than we are, you mean? Well, of course! Where you been?

Gay marriage is still illegal there, and no political party is campaigning vigorously for gay rights. They're also a lot more conservative that the US. So no, you're wrong.

I think enough examples have been given, but really man, are you trying to say in all the history of anime there has never been a legitimate gay character? That they all are nothing more than yuri/yaoi bate? Come on.

Mordent99

Banned
And you, as usual, are dodging the issue.
]

So? Republicans do that all the time.

You keep bringing up bad deeds of Republicans to deflect attention away from yourself when the statements you make are challenged.

Yup. Just like they do. As does Trump himself.

Especially when the atrocities you mention have nothing to do with the conversation at hand. But I guess that's just your thing.

I see you still refuse to address them. Next time Trump's supporters say I support slavery because of what happened a century and a half ago, I'll remember this conversation.

Gay marriage is still illegal there, and no political party is campaigning vigorously for gay rights. They're also a lot more conservative that the US. So no, you're wrong.

I think enough examples have been given, but really man, are you trying to say in all the history of anime there has never been a legitimate gay character? That they all are nothing more than yuri/yaoi bate? Come on.[/QUOTE]

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
If you hate conservatives/Republicans so much, quit acting just like what you think they act like. Makes no sense.

Mordent99

Banned
If you hate conservatives/Republicans so much, quit acting just like what you think they act like. Makes no sense.

I hate them because of their views, opinions, and attitudes. I hate what they stand for, and the actions they take when they're in positions of authority.

However, their methods - some of them - are kinda useful.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
when did a debate about homosexuality in children's tv turn into democrats>republican

if you want to talk about solely that i'm p sure there's a thread for that, you don't need to go off-topic here just to say you hate republicans

also in regards to the actual topic, i'd say it's okay, just as long as it's g-rated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mordent99

Banned
when did a debate about homosexuality in children's tv turn into democrats>republican

if you want to talk about solely that i'm p sure there's a thread for that, you don't need to go off-topic here just to say you hate republicans

also in regards to the actual topic, i'd say it's okay, just as long as it's g-rated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When Slowpoke and Chalkus decided he'd rater try to debunk every single thing I said, rather than just drop it. Guys like them try to trick you into contradicting your own beliefs, and if you leave, they go, "Ha-ha, he gave up, I win."

For eight long years I've been putting up with this and rather than have them accused me of "running away because I can't defend", I will defend every accusation such folks make.

Last edited:

Grey Wind

Honestly, I don't see the problem so long as they keep it G-rated like heterosexuality in children's TV

Why do so many of you feel the need to specify this? Like, no one is out here campaigning for two characters to hook up on a kid's show. Gay people aren't exclusively sexual beings.

I think everybody here would be more interested in seeing you expand on why you think LGBT representation is fine as is (the actual topic of this thread) instead of these random posts about marriage and republicans or w/e.