• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

BJPalmer85

I am trying to find the exact church, but apparently another Church in Kentucky banned interracial couples in 2011. What is wrong with you people up there. =p

http://abcnews.go.com/US/kentucky-church-bans-interracial-couples/story?id=15065204#.UVLgaYaK2Ds

LOL! I know, people can be stupid. My aunt is married to a black man and a couple of years ago they were all but refused service in a restaurant here in the city of all places. Unfortunately for them my aunt is a lawyer and a very good one. She mostly deals with women's rights and domestic violence cases. She contacted some people and had the place closed within a month.

that is a little OT i know but a good story.

Back on topic. I would love to see more and more churches perform marriages for gay couples. Maybe it will put pressure on the catholic church and they will change, doubtful, but I can try and be optimistic.

B

BigLutz, I saw your post about how you're afraid that if the supreme court rules like they did in Roe Vs Wade, it will end up doing more harm than good.

I disagree.

Firstly, I don't think gay marriage is nearly as polarizing as abortion. If gay marriage is legalized nation wide, everyone that disagrees with it only has to live with the fact that not everyone shares their views on marriage. With abortion, those that disagree have to live with the fact that (they think) the state is sanctioning the murder of infants. Further still, there's no way we can really evaluate how far the attitudes of states in the South for example are behind more progressive states that have legalized gay marriage. How long do you recommend waiting for the states to get on top of their shit and legalize gay marriage on their own? 5 years? 10 years? 100 years? Sure, it would be nice if we could just gradually let the states do their own thang and they inevitably, over the years, realize how dumb they're being and legalize gay marriage. It would be nice. I don't think everyone is willing to wait that long, and when it comes to their rights, I don't feel like they should have to. You're right in that maybe the Roe Vs Wade case helped ignite a more stubborn opposition, but it's still the law of the land. Country divided or no country divided, women can still get abortions. I don't really care how venomous an opposition it ignites, the supreme courts ruling is what goes. Gay people will still be able to get married, and people can protest and put up all the opposition they want. Eventually they'll learn to live with the law of the land.

Last edited:

miles0624

Wrath of Fire
BigLutz, I saw your post about how you're afraid that if the supreme court rules like they did in Roe Vs Wade, it will end up doing more harm than good.

I disagree.

Firstly, I don't think gay marriage is nearly as polarizing as abortion. If gay marriage is legalized nation wide, everyone that disagrees with it only has to live with the fact that not everyone shares their views on marriage. With abortion, those that disagree have to live with the fact that (they think) the state is sanctioning the murder of infants.

On that note, it would actually be the same. To that disagree with gay marriage have to live with the fact that it is ruining what they view as the sancity of marriage. Like the same people who were (and still are) against divorces. It is the same if you really think about it.

Further still, there's no way we can really gage how far the attitudes of states in the South for example are behind more progressive states that have legalized gay marriage. How long do you recommend waiting for the states to get on top of their shit and legalize gay marriage on their own? 5 years? 10 years? 100 years?

Don't turn this into a "south hates gay marriage" thing. Prop 8 was done by California, one of the most liberal states in this country. Then we have the view between races mentioned earlier. African Americans are heavily liberal yet the majority still don't support it.

Sure, it would be nice if we could just gradually let the states do their own thang and they inevitably, over the years, realize how dumb they're being and legalize gay marriage. It would be nice. I don't think everyone is willing to wait that long, and when it comes to their rights, I don't feel like they should have to. You're right in that maybe the Roe Vs Wade case helped ignite a more fiercome opposition, but it's still the law of the land. Country divided or no country divided, women can still get abortions. I don't really care how venomous an opposition it ignites, the supreme courts ruling is what goes. Gay people will still be able to get married, and people can protest and put up all the opposition they want. Eventually they'll learn to live with the law of the land.

Supreme court doesn't decide the law of the land, they only decide how the laws and constitution apply for that time. All court cases, including Roe Vs Wade, can always be overturned by a future court case, or by congress themselves. We can't tell what the future holds, so on and so forth. As such, we don't know how they future will view what we do. I mean, who would have though most Historians turning the American Revolution to a "Rich mans battle."

Now, if we truly had the majority on gay marriage, than the house and senate wouldn't try using a cop out like sending it to the Supreme Court. The only reason they did this is because they know the backlash that they would get from allowing this to happen. Something the justices can't face because they are appointed. That is why if the Supreme Court doesn't approve it, you won't see congress rush to get the bill on the floor. That alone should tell you how controversial this bill is.

On that note, it would actually be the same. To that disagree with gay marriage have to live with the fact that it is ruining what they view as the sancity of marriage. Like the same people who were (and still are) against divorces. It is the same if you really think about it.

No, it wouldn't. You're right in stating what they would have to live with, but accepting that is much easier than accepting government sanctioned murder, and you know it.

Don't turn this into a "south hates gay marriage" thing. Prop 8 was done by California, one of the most liberal states in this country. Then we have the view between races mentioned earlier. African Americans are heavily liberal yet the majority still don't support it.

I'm not just being a big 'ole meanie picking on poor dixie. Face it. The South is usually behind the rest of the nation when it comes to things like civil rights. Most of the discrimination laws against homosexuals in regards to employment are in the South. Most states that ban gay marriage or any other union equivalent to gay marriage are in the South. Most gay hate crimes in the U.S. occur in the South. You don't get to just scream "But California!" and act as if that negates what everyone knows to be true. The South is much more culturally religious and more conservative than the rest of the United States. There is no debating that. Logically, it follows, they would not be as prone to legalize gay marriage as states that have more liberal demographics. This isn't difficult.

Supreme court doesn't decide the law of the land, they only decide how the laws and constitution apply for that time.

Which...basically means they decide the law of the land. Just because it can be overturned later doesn't make what they decide is any less the law. Further still, how many times has the supreme court been overruled? 10 times. In over 250 years of America being a country. It's a safe bet to say that what the supreme court rules is going to stick around.

Last edited:

Byzantine

I think the Supreme Court looking bored might just be because they have already made up their minds about the DOMA and are bored they have to wait through the arguments when they could issue a ruling from before the thing even began. I know they aren't supposed to do that, but it isn't like everyone doesn't already know all of the arguments both sides are using.

BigLutz

Banned
You certainly have a point. However I think one of the fundamentals we need to understand is that it is NOT for the public to decide who gets what right. Human Rights are supposed to be universal, and not up for debate, that is the entire reason why we have a Constitution like we do, it is not only to prevent the government from becoming too powerful, but to prevent the majority from reigning over the minority, and that is why i think the courts need to have the power to make these decisions, otherwise we will end up in the horror of letting the majority decide everything, and people are stupid, particularly when it comes to the idea of letting everyone actually be treated fairly.

Except it isn't a human right, even if we were to allow Gay Marriage it STILL wouldn't be a human right. If we were to make Marriage a human right, then we would no longer have laws on it restricting it by blood line, age, species, or how many people you can marry. Allowing Gay Marriage still will not make marriage universal, which is something I think alot of people miss.

I disagree.

Firstly, I don't think gay marriage is nearly as polarizing as abortion. If gay marriage is legalized nation wide, everyone that disagrees with it only has to live with the fact that not everyone shares their views on marriage. With abortion, those that disagree have to live with the fact that (they think) the state is sanctioning the murder of infants.

Problem with that, by "living with it" it also means that the Supreme Court, a unelected body, has taken away their votes on a issue, alot of people who are on the fence on Gay Marriage may not be very happy about that. Hell look at how Obama came out about it last year, saying it was a state issue, having the Supreme Court issue it takes it away from being a state issue. And seeing how a majority of people right now view Gay Marriage as a state issue, such a thing could set back Gay Marriage as a whole.

Further still, there's no way we can really evaluate how far the attitudes of states in the South for example are behind more progressive states that have legalized gay marriage. How long do you recommend waiting for the states to get on top of their shit and legalize gay marriage on their own? 5 years? 10 years? 100 years? Sure, it would be nice if we could just gradually let the states do their own thang and they inevitably, over the years, realize how dumb they're being and legalize gay marriage. It would be nice. I don't think everyone is willing to wait that long, and when it comes to their rights, I don't feel like they should have to. You're right in that maybe the Roe Vs Wade case helped ignite a more stubborn opposition, but it's still the law of the land. Country divided or no country divided, women can still get abortions. I don't really care how venomous an opposition it ignites, the supreme courts ruling is what goes. Gay people will still be able to get married, and people can protest and put up all the opposition they want. Eventually they'll learn to live with the law of the land.

Yet here is the thing, with Roe vs Wade, women looking for an abortion sometimes have their life at risk and need one right away, others cannot afford to go to another state to seek one within the 3 to 5 month time frame. With Gay Marriage there is no time limit, if a Gay Couple truly wishes to get married, they have every right to go live in another state that recognizes their marriage.

miles0624

Wrath of Fire
No, it wouldn't. You're right in stating what they would have to live with, but accepting that is much easier than accepting government sanctioned murder, and you know it.

I'm not just being a big 'ole meanie picking on poor dixie. Face it. The South is usually behind the rest of the nation when it comes to things like civil rights. Most of the discrimination laws against homosexuals in regards to employment are in the South. Most states that ban gay marriage or any other union equivalent to gay marriage are in the South. Most gay hate crimes in the U.S. occur in the South. You don't get to just scream "But California!" and act as if that negates what everyone knows to be true. The South is much more culturally religious and more conservative than the rest of the United States. There is no debating that. Logically, it follows, they would not be as prone to legalize gay marriage as states that have more liberal demographics. This isn't difficult.

Which...basically means they decide the law of the land. Just because it can be overturned later doesn't make what they decide any less the law. Further still, how many times has the supreme court been overruled? 10 times. In over 250 years of America being a country. Yeah. It's a safe bet to say that what the supreme court rules is going to stick around.

1. on your dirst point, that is not true. People put different value on different things. How do you explain people being pro-abortion and against gay marriage. What you are doing is just making an overbroad generalization.

2. Your second point is also. Inaccurate for many reasons. First, california was just used as an example for liberal states. There are only seven states (soon to be nine) that have legalized gay marriage. There are only thirteen states here. Go ahead and add alaska for fourteen. That means you have 29 states that have no legislation in place to legalize gay marriage that aren't strictly republican. I am not debating that they are more conservative than their counterparts. However saying that the majority of gay hate crimes (untrue) occur in the south is just biased. Did you know 2/3rds of hate crimes in New york were against gays in 2011. Did you know whyoming was ranked number 45 in most tolerant states for 2012 followed by penssyvanila? (With mississippi being ranked 50th obviously.) Do you know that Tennessee and Georgia put in bills for same sex unions and harsher charges for discrimination against homosexuals in 2012. Are they behind as the other 29 states in the north and west (which only five of them put forth legislation). Think about it.

3 Now add in the 11 overturned by congress. While it is rare, it does happem.

Problem with that, by "living with it" it also means that the Supreme Court, a unelected body, has taken away their votes on a issue, alot of people who are on the fence on Gay Marriage may not be very happy about that. Hell look at how Obama came out about it last year, saying it was a state issue, having the Supreme Court issue it takes it away from being a state issue.

I'd agree with this if I thought something like gay marriage was something that should be voted on in the first place.

Yet here is the thing, with Roe vs Wade, women looking for an abortion sometimes have their life at risk and need one right away, others cannot afford to go to another state to seek one within the 3 to 5 month time frame. With Gay Marriage there is no time limit, if a Gay Couple truly wishes to get married, they have every right to go live in another state that recognizes their marriage.

Sure, they have every right. Is it exactly feasible for everyone though? We can't just assume that every gay couple out there is financially well off enough to take off to another state and get married. You can't just ask people to leave behind their careers and their families to go start from scratch in another state that has gay marriage.

1. on your dirst point, that is not true. People put different value on different things. How do you explain people being pro-abortion and against gay marriage. What you are doing is just making an overbroad generalization.

I'm really not. Murder is generally seen as one of the most heinous crimes a person can commit. This is self evident. People are usually more upset by the taking of another persons life than they are about candy being stolen from a super market. That is not "overbroad generalization." It's just true. Gay marriage and abortion are both controversial, and people have strong opinions about both. Abortion is more polarizing than gay marriage because the moral dillema at hand, or rather the percieved moral dillema, is the murder of infants. Say what you will or live in whatever fantasy land that you feel like, but babies being killed usually evokes stronger emotions in people than the sanctity of marriage.

2. Your second point is also. Inaccurate for many reasons. First, california was just used as an example for liberal states. There are only seven states (soon to be nine) that have legalized gay marriage. There are only thirteen states here. Go ahead and add alaska for fourteen. That means you have 29 states that have no legislation in place to legalize gay marriage that aren't strictly republican. I am not debating that they are more conservative than their counterparts. However saying that the majority of gay hate crimes (untrue) occur in the south is just biased. Did you know 2/3rds of hate crimes in New york were against gays in 2011. Did you know whyoming was ranked number 45 in most tolerant states for 2012 followed by penssyvanila? (With mississippi being ranked 50th obviously.) Do you know that Tennessee and Georgia put in bills for same sex unions and harsher charges for discrimination against homosexuals in 2012. Are they behind as the other 29 states in the north and west (which only five of them put forth legislation). Think about it.

Again, I don't why you think you're making any sort of point by providing a few mere counter examples. California is an interesting case because there was huge organizations in play that were all vying for votes, like the Mormon church. It's still but one example. It doesn't completely destroy the trend that states with more liberal demographics usually are more prone to legalizing gay marriage than states that have more conservative demographics. So California was a wild card? Big deal. You have no point.

As for your misplaced defense of the Southern states, you should do some reading.

http://www.southernstudies.org/2009...south-spur-calls-for-better-state-and-federal

The South ranks far behind in legislation. Eight out of 13 Southern states' hate-crime laws are not inclusive of sexual orientation protections, and not one Southern state contains gender identity protections. According to the Human Rights Campaign, the five Southern states that do include sexual orientation in their hate crime laws are Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Tennessee and Texas. The five Southern states that do not include sexual orientation or gender identity in their hate crime legislation are Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia.

Four states in the United States have no hate-crime laws whatsoever. Three are in the South: Arkansas, South Carolina and Georgia.

Though I couldn't find any anti-gay hate crime statistics by region, I think the above more than speaks for itself.

3 Now add in the 11 overturned by congress. While it is rare, it does happem.

And...yeah? I didn't say it doesn't happen. My specific words were "It's a safe bet" More likely than not, it will end up being the law of the land, and never will be changed. That's a fact. Your entire debating method here is providing a few counter examples to what is an already known, established, and accepted trend. It's not getting you anywhere. Just because you can pull a few exceptions out of the hat doesn't change the reality of anything that I've said.

"Middle Eastern countries aren't anti gay, Israel is plenty gay friendly!"

Do you see the nonsense in this statement? That's about as much sense that you're making.

Last edited:

BigLutz

Banned
I'd agree with this if I thought something like gay marriage was something that should be voted on in the first place.

And that is a fine view to have, just remember you are in the minority in this nation with that view.

Sure, they have every right. Is it exactly feasible for everyone though? We can't just assume that every gay couple out there is financially well off enough to take off to another state and get married. You can't just ask people to leave behind their careers and their families to go start from scratch in another state that has gay marriage.

There also is no time limit on it, unlike abortions. People who wish to move to these states to get married, can wait a year, two years, five years, ten years, however long it takes to get their affairs in order and become financially well off.

There also is no time limit on it, unlike abortions. People who wish to move to these states to get married, can wait a year, two years, five years, ten years, however long it takes to get their affairs in order and become financially well off.

You don't know whether you're going to die tomorrow, or the next minute from now. There's no way you can say that they can just wait. You aren't gauranteed a year, two years, five years, ten years, etc. It's a massive injustice to ask people to die before ever recieving their rights. Which is essentially what you're asking them. (Them not meaning everyone, just those that would have the unfortunate situation of passing away before they got the opportunity of experiencing marriage, and the rights included due to unequal marriage laws in the state they live.) Hey, make it to another state if you can, but if don't/can't, then tough titties.

Last edited:

BigLutz

Banned
You don't know whether you're going to die tomorrow, or the next minute from now. There's no way you can say that they can just wait. You aren't gauranteed a year, two years, five years, ten years, etc. It's a massive injustice to ask people to die before ever recieving their rights. Which is essentially what you're asking them. Hey, make it to another state if you can, but if don't/can't, then tough titties.

I do not know when I am going to die, however I do know that it costs alot to pay for a wedding, from the church service to the reception, couldn't that money be used to relocate instead? I also know that if I live in a area that does not accept me, I am not going to stick around there for the rest of my life. These people are adults, relocation and finding new jobs is easier than ever, if they do not like the law then they can fight to change it or move. That is part of being a adult inside of a democracy.

By the way we do have kids on this site, and there is a swear filter, can you please avoid trying to go around it? I'm not a mod here, but as I said, we do have kids here.

I do not know when I am going to die, I also know that it costs alot to pay for a wedding, from the church service to the reception, couldn't that money be used to relocate instead? I also know that if I live in a area that does not accept me, I am not going to stick around there for the rest of my life. These people are adults, relocation and finding new jobs is easier than ever, if they do not like the law then they can fight to change it or move. That is part of being a adult inside of a democracy.

By the way we do have kids on this site, and there is a swear filter, can you please avoid trying to go around it? I'm not a mod here, but as I said, we do have kids here.

We're talking about marriage, not weddings. All you need to do to get married is swing by your local court house. Further still, unequal marriage laws doesn't mean that you live in an area that doesn't accept you. Even places like Texas have very liberal pockets like Austin that are highly gay friendly. I liked that typical conservative spiel you gave me though.

"You're an adult, don't care if you're poor, don't care what you're going through, pick yourself up by the boot straps!"

You completely turn a blind eye to people that are stuck, that are bogged down to where they are, and they can't go anywhere else. You cling to this idea that there's always opportunity, that there's always a way out, and if you can't find it, well you just don't work hard enough, or aren't ambitious enough. Fact of the matter is not everyone can just get up and move, they shouldn't be expected to do so. No one should be expected to leave everything they have behind, make it to Massachussets or bust, for something that should have already been theirs in the first place.

BigLutz

Banned
We're talking about marriage, not weddings. All you need to do to get married is swing by your local court house. Further still, unequal marriage laws doesn't mean that you live in an area that doesn't accept you. Even places like Texas have very liberal pockets like Austin that are highly gay friendly. I liked that typical conservative spiel you gave me though.

Yes and I do know Austin is very liberal, however I was speaking of the state as a whole not accepting you.

You completely turn a blind eye to people that are stuck, that are bogged down to where they are, and they can't go anywhere else. You cling to this idea that there's always opportunity, that there's always a way out, and if you can't find it, well you just don't work hard enough, or aren't ambitious enough. Fact of the matter is not everyone can just get up and move, they shouldn't be expected to do so. No one should be expected to leave everything they have behind, make it to Massachussets or bust, for something that should have already been theirs in the first place.

Except that isn't the real world, states have different laws, if I want to run a Casino, I need to move to a state that accepts gambling, or change the laws in my state so I can open one. If Marriage is the end all be all for you, then there are a variety of states to move to. Will it take time and money? Yes, but if it means that much it should not matter.

Except that isn't the real world, states have different laws, if I want to run a Casino, I need to move to a state that accepts gambling, or change the laws in my state so I can open one. If Marriage is the end all be all for you, then there are a variety of states to move to. Will it take time and money? Yes, but if it means that much it should not matter.

So this isn't even about the importance of abortion being legal everywhere Vs the importance of gay marriage being legal everywhere is it then? It's about your opinion on states rights and how you think things should be done.

I might buy your argument if you can by some feat explain to me how gambling is a necessary civil right or in anyway on par with marriage.

BigLutz

Banned
So this isn't even about the importance of abortion being legal everywhere Vs the importance of gay marriage being legal everywhere is it then? It's about your opinion on states rights and how you think things should be done.

I might buy your argument if you can by some feat explain to me how gambling is a necessary civil right or in anyway on par with marriage.

Well as I explained in my previous post I do not see marriage as a necessary civil right, one could argue some of the rights granted upon it is, but if we saw it as a necessary civil or human right, we would not have massive rules in place for it already, rules that will remain in place even if Gay Marriage is passed in all states.

Well, I'll just quit there then. I don't want to get into arguing marriage as a necessary civil right. It becomes a complicated mess of semantics and law. Really not something I want to get into right now.

It's been nice speaking with you though.

7 tyranitars

Since you biglutz seem to give a lot about states being able to make their own laws, wouldn't you agree DOMA is not allowing states to make their own laws concerning mariage equality?

BigLutz

Banned
Since you biglutz seem to give a lot about states being able to make their own laws, wouldn't you agree DOMA is not allowing states to make their own laws concerning mariage equality?

On Section 3? Yes, on Section 2? No.

BJPalmer85

Does anyone have a good link to DOMA? Id like to read up on it before commenting. I am on my phone and it is being a little ***** and not taking me to the right place

B

BigLutz

Banned
Does anyone have a good link to DOMA? Id like to read up on it before commenting. I am on my phone and it is being a little ***** and not taking me to the right place

B

Section 2. Powers reserved to the states
No State, territory, or possession of the United States, or Indian tribe, shall be required to give effect to any public act, record, or judicial proceeding of any other State, territory, possession, or tribe respecting a relationship between persons of the same sex that is treated as a marriage under the laws of such other State, territory, possession, or tribe, or a right or claim arising from such relationship.

Section 3. Definition of marriage
In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the word 'marriage' means only a legal union between one man and one woman as husband and wife, and the word 'spouse' refers only to a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_Marriage_Act#Text

That is what I read it from