• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

Peter Quill

star-lord
Except again we do that now and it hasn't changed a thing, people will still get picked on at school for their color, disabilities, or sexuality. I mean what makes you think education about gayness is going to change anything when it hasn't for racism or disabilities?

But it has? Excuse the anecdote but how long has it been since you've been in the school system? For kids with disabilities, there are numerous programs in place for kids like that who have the resources (and those who are seen picking on disabled students, based off of the fact I've seen it happen and I've worked with kids like this tend to be ostracised from the rest of the "able" community"). When are you going to hear someone go "That's so black" in high school? I mean casual racism still exists in high school and the school system, don't get me wrong, but homophobia is still a huge issue that needs to at least be tackled now. You say we've done nothing but we've gone leaps and bounds in comparison to years ago.

That is the problem when you have kids get together in school it fosters a Alpha Male/Female environment, unless you have a overhanging presence on the kids every moment of the day, you are going to have kids gang up and bully the weaker students.

So you're offering not to do anything about it...?

BigLutz

Banned
But it has? Excuse the anecdote but how long has it been since you've been in the school system? For kids with disabilities, there are numerous programs in place for kids like that who have the resources (and those who are seen picking on disabled students, based off of the fact I've seen it happen and I've worked with kids like this tend to be ostracised from the rest of the "able" community"). When are you going to hear someone go "That's so black" in high school? I mean casual racism still exists in high school and the school system, don't get me wrong, but homophobia is still a huge issue that needs to at least be tackled now. You say we've done nothing but we've gone leaps and bounds in comparison to years ago.

I was in High School 10 years ago, and in Middle School 14 years ago, I have a little brother that is still in High School and a Sister that has graduated from High School just 5 years ago, so I have been pretty much in contact with the High School and Middle School environment for the last 14 years.

I honestly don't think there is anything that can be done, we can pat ourselves on the back and say we have accomplished something by trying to push tolerance, but at the end of the day can we really fight hormones?

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The best way to tackle any solution is to give up before you start. I'd give proof on this, but I didn't think it would help any so I didn't do it.

thetamale

I honestly don't think there is anything that can be done, we can pat ourselves on the back and say we have accomplished something by trying to push tolerance, but at the end of the day can we really fight hormones?

Again, you assume bullying is hormonal. I'd argue it's more likely nurture than nature.

BigLutz

Banned
Again, you assume bullying is hormonal. I'd argue it's more likely nurture than nature.

I would think it is a combination of both, I mean we see bad bullying in young girls under the age which can be attributed to instinctual, and we see horrid bullying in Middle School and High School which leads to suicide, but then again there is some who bully because they have been taught to.

bobjr

Staff member
I'd saying bullying is part of nature, but what someone bullies is almost purely nurture. I'm sure you could take 30 guys and raise them separate from society, teach 28 them growing up that wearing dresses is what's right and that liking football is wrong, then take the other 2 and teach them about how fun football is, and I'd bet you'd see the two get bullied for it. How many schools teach being gay is okay? I doubt many actively teach it's wrong, but most seem to see it as something that's either really private and shouldn't be talked about, or swept under the rug.

BigLutz

Banned
I'd saying bullying is part of nature, but what someone bullies is almost purely nurture. I'm sure you could take 30 guys and raise them separate from society, teach 28 them growing up that wearing dresses is what's right and that liking football is wrong, then take the other 2 and teach them about how fun football is, and I'd bet you'd see the two get bullied for it. How many schools teach being gay is okay? I doubt many actively teach it's wrong, but most seem to see it as something that's either really private and shouldn't be talked about, or swept under the rug.

But don't we already teach in schools that say being in a wheel chair or having glasses or being a different race is okay, and don't we still see bullying from that?

thetamale

But don't we already teach in schools that say being in a wheel chair or having glasses or being a different race is okay, and don't we still see bullying from that?

That will vary depending on area, which again comes back to communities and nurture.

bobjr

Staff member

Those things aren't really serious bullying issues anymore, because this isn't an 80's high school movie. There might be awkward looks or something like that, but those things are far from instant bullying.

BigLutz

Banned
That will vary depending on area, which again comes back to communities and nurture.

There are common characteristics among students that get bullied, almost all of them involve students that are perceived as different or weaker.

http://bullying.about.com/od/Victims/a/10-Reasons-Why-Kids-Are-Bullied.htm

Sogeking said:
Those things aren't really serious bullying issues anymore, because this isn't an 80's high school movie. There might be awkward looks or something like that, but those things are far from instant bullying.

Really?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...about-themselves-studies-find/article4560153/

And then you can look at the about article or even a variety of links just by googling "Bullying because of wheelchair" to find it goes on.

Last edited:

thetamale

There are common characteristics among students that get bullied, almost all of them involve students that are perceived as different or weaker.

http://bullying.about.com/od/Victims/a/10-Reasons-Why-Kids-Are-Bullied.htm

Exactly a bully's perception is to blame. The perception that being different to them is wrong. Likely a result of attitudes they're exposed to at home and what they have been educated about at a younger more receptive age. Not every area is going to put much of a premium on teaching acceptance and modern ideals. The south US being one, again I generalise to make a point.

BigLutz

Banned
Exactly a bully's perception is to blame. The perception that being different to them is wrong. Likely a result of attitudes they're exposed to at home and what they have been educated about at a younger more receptive age. Not every area is going to put much of a premium on teaching acceptance and modern ideals. The south US being one, again I generalise to make a point.

No, the bullying tends to bully because they know that they can win a fight and get greater acceptance among his peers, again you have a Alpha Male attitude. A White Bully is not going to go after the Black kid, if he is in a predominantly black school. The same with a child in a wheel chair as they are already at a height disadvantage. If they gay kid were to have ten strong friends he hung around with all the time there is less of a chance to be bullied by other males ( Note I exclude females because their bullying tactics tend to be more psychological ).

thetamale

No, the bullying tends to bully because they know that they can win a fight and get greater acceptance among his peers, again you have a Alpha Male attitude. A White Bully is not going to go after the Black kid, if he is in a predominantly black school. The same with a child in a wheel chair as they are already at a height disadvantage. If they gay kid were to have ten strong friends he hung around with all the time there is less of a chance to be bullied by other males ( Note I exclude females because their bullying tactics tend to be more psychological ).

Why would you presume a solitary black guy or gay guy would be physically weaker? Physical bullying is a lot less common where I'm from.

BigLutz

Banned
Why would you presume a solitary black guy or gay guy would be physically weaker? Physical bullying is a lot less common where I'm from.
TRUE DOOM MURDERHEAD said:
I asked him the same question and I'm still waiting on a response. I would very much like to know the answer to this as well.

Power in numbers, if a Alpha Male bully and his friends pick out a target, they are usually going to be ones that they see as weaker be it physically or socially. That way they have less of a chance to fight back or have friends help them fight back.

bobjr

Staff member
That thinking just leads to victim blaming, and not wanting to change anything because it affects the person creating the problem. This isn't an instant fix, no social change is, but you have to give it a decade or so to develop.

BigLutz

Banned
That thinking just leads to victim blaming, and not wanting to change anything because it affects the person creating the problem. This isn't an instant fix, no social change is, but you have to give it a decade or so to develop.

Honestly I think the only thing that will fix it wont be social change, but an abundance of adult supervision, including in the locker room, showers, lunchroom, and the hallways. From all the links I have read tonight, it seems the only deterrence to bullying is having adults near by as almost a police force/guard.

arized

#hsb
Honestly I think the only thing that will fix it wont be social change, but an abundance of adult supervision, including in the locker room, showers, lunchroom, and the hallways. [...]

I don't think so. Someone will probably do it even if they are supervised if they think it's acceptable. They need to learn that it's not and that needs to consistently be reinforced.

7 tyranitars

You seemed pretty convinced of it. Even saying this in the next post: I never admitted that it was a problem. I like the fact that I despise intolerant people.

So you support teaching Abstinence only education? Because teaching how to have safe sex to 16 and 17 year olds, kind of admits they are having sex.

Because they do! Even 15 year olds and some 14 year olds! It is better to educate them about the responsebilities, then simply say nope you can't. And I mean real education, not scare tactics.

Maedar

Banned

Moogles, don't forget, this guy has previously said that he approves of Social Darwinism.

Yes, he does approve of doing nothing about it. If the weak starve and die out so that the strong survive, so be it. That's the whole point.