• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
So are you planning to tell people to respect the beliefs of people to not perform or support same sex marriages? Because respect is a two way street.

As a gay man, I have a policy. If you aren't a jerk to me, then you can believe whatever you want. You start telling me I'm going to burn in hell and I'm a ****** then you and I aren't gonna get along.

Everybody has the right to their opinion no matter how crazy it is. However when you open your mouth in public and start spouting nonsense to me, don't expect me to just sit there and take it.

I am from a religious culture(I'm Armenian) which doesn't feel too fond about gay people to put it kindly. I am well aware that many of my family members aren't gonna be okay with my life style and that's fine. You keep to your life and I'll keep to mine. I show nothing but the utmost respect to them because like I said, they are still my family and they don't spout it at me. The second that starts happening, I'm sorry but we're are done.

It's my policy in life to get those kinds of hateful people out of my life if possible.

So you are going with the "Do as I say, not as I do" argument? Most churches have clearly established guidelines for behavior. You want the church to be respectful to someone breaking their rules but you don't want the person who is intentionally breaking the church's rules to be respectful?
The church is supposed to be a beacon of morality rather than following after their God and spitefully denying entrance or access because of a single transgression. Is a gay person being denied access to communion at their father's funeral being disrespectful? Dang, he succumbed to his innate tendency towards one sexuality, like everyone else has. Must be a deviant.

And this is the type of attitude the church takes over and over again. Do as I say, not as I do? How about the church forgives those who disagree, welcomes them, treats them like they aren't abhorrent and self righteously claim they are doing it for good to "save" them? But we know that won't happen.

Maedar

Banned
LDS, I would say that a priest refusing a man communion at his own father's funeral is not fulfilling the spirit of his role in the community, and is also being downright rude.

There use to be a time when a man of the cloth was impartial, when he was a man who would listen to you when you has a problem, who you could always count on for advice. He used to be the one man you could trust.

That's all changed in the modern era. The image of the friendly old pastor has given way to extreme fundamentalists and idealists who try to make people feel worse about themselves, and the Roman Catholic Church is suffering because of it. (It seems every year they have a harder time finding new priests.)

I'll be honest, I couldn't stand Benedict. When someone told me he was a friend of John Paul II, I gave him a chance, but eventually, I started to wonder how this guy could have been anyone's friend.

I have high hopes for Francis, however, but he's still surrounded by Cardinals who would prefer to change society to their tastes instead of adapting to it, not realizing they can't.

BigLutz

Banned
So a drunken homophobe in the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport attacked a gay man wearing a pink shirt and is stopped by several bystanders along with the black cops who restrained the guy without killing him. His reason? Because this is AMERICA! So, give him a few days for him to be on Fox News.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/26/dallas-airport-fight_n_6051654.html

Saw that and I am really proud of Texans standing up against that bigot. Just a question but why would he be on Fox News considering Fox News has one of the top gay anchor/newscaster in the biz?

Silver Soul

Saw that and I am really proud of Texans standing up against that bigot. Just a question but why would he be on Fox News considering Fox News has one of the top gay anchor/newscaster in the biz?

I'm just pointing out that whenever homophobic moments by people are exposed, they go on Fox News since it's considered to be a more "suitable" environment if you know what I mean. I mean I remember one Dallas TV hostess complained about Michael Sam kissing his mate on live TV after being drafted and being called out on it in the show only to appear on Fox News just so she won't be debated on it as much. Of course, that doesn't explain homophobe Todd Starnes is on the network. Just pointing out the history of this year.

I mean, where does the intent of Arizona's SB 1062 came from?

BigLutz

Banned
I'm just pointing out that whenever homophobic moments by people are exposed, they go on Fox News since it's considered to be a more "suitable" environment if you know what I mean. I mean I remember one Dallas TV hostess complained about Michael Sam kissing his mate on live TV after being drafted and being called out on it in the show only to appear on Fox News just so she won't be debated on it as much. Of course, that doesn't explain homophobe Todd Starnes is on the network. Just pointing out the history of this year.

The "Dallas TV Hostess" also went on to CNN, and I wouldn't be surprised MSNBC for debate and interviews as well

I mean, where does the intent of Arizona's SB 1062 came from?

Religious Freedom Restoration Act? 1st Amendment?

Silver Soul

The "Dallas TV Hostess" also went on to CNN, and I wouldn't be surprised MSNBC for debate and interviews as well

Alright. Then how about the Benham Brothers? Who's pilot on HGTV was cancelled due to exposure of their extreme anti-gay views and that it would conflict with the network's significant LGBT audience.

Religious Freedom Restoration Act? 1st Amendment?

Like denying LGBT people right to service at PUBLIC businesses? Even the business community think it goes TOO far and it would hurt the state economically. That's where reality comes in. Note, God was used to justify interracial marriage and segregation before.

BigLutz

Banned
Alright. Then how about the Benham Brothers? Who's pilot on HGTV was cancelled due to exposure of their extreme anti-gay views and that it would conflict with the network's significant LGBT audience.

What about them? They did the interview circuit as well.

Like denying LGBT people right to service at PUBLIC businesses? Even the business community think it goes TOO far and it would hurt the state economically. That's where reality comes in. Note, God was used to justify interracial marriage and segregation before.

And as we have noted before A: The state's Religious Freedom Act already offers that protection, and B: The Bible does not speak out about interracial marriage or segregation.

Maedar

Banned
Lutz, I seem to remember Fox News being an outlet for both Ted Nugent, who claimed they were defending the vile bigot's Freedom of Speech.

Phil Robertson too, for the same reason.

Slavery too, by Jefferson Davis himself.

Idiot was lucky he didn't hang, like most Union leaders wanted him to. He was very lucky Lincoln was President.

Last edited:
Well these cases are interesting.
Ministers being told to perform same sex marriages or face arrest and daily fines.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1548305/mi...s-for-refusing-to-perform-same-sex-marriages/

And the mayor of Houston was demanding documents from pastors regarding sermons and private communication.

http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-...ton-Mayor-Backs-Off-From-Subpoenas-to-Pastors

This is a BS case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/25/gay-marriage-jail_n_6044214.html

According to the suit, the city has “privately and publicly threatened to apply” the ordinance to the Hitching Post.

However, according to city officials and the lawsuit itself, the Hitching Post filed papers with the Idaho Secretary of State identifying itself as a religious corporation on Oct. 6, the day before the 9th Circuit struck down Idaho’s ban. The city’s ordinance explicitly states that religious corporations are exempt from the law.

The lawsuit came as a surprise to city officials, who described conversations with the Knapps up until last week as “cordial.”

We have never threatened them. We have never sent them a letter warning them. There was no ‘we’re going to throw you in jail’ kind of stuff. So we were mildly surprised, well, totally surprised by the lawsuit,” City Attorney Mike Gridley told The Huffington Post.

Moreover, while the lawsuit claims that the Knapps have already turned away multiple same-sex couples, Gridley said that the city had received no complaints about the Hitching Post and had no idea who these couples might be.

Please, don't read Inquisitr. It's terrible, sensationalist reporting that contains few facts and a lot of crazy speculation. Every news team has its flaws, but a tabloid is as useful as Inquisitr.

@BigLutz
Actually, the bible speaks about interracial marriage frequently, and its never positive. I'd be more than happy to give references.

Last edited:

Antiyonder

Overlord
Frankly I'm still miffed at homosexuality being an issue. In all forums I've seen debating it, I have yet to see any arguments against it don't include the following elements:
1. Double standards.
2. Conspiracy theories about how homosexuality may cause the end of civilization.
3. Religious beliefs. And I bring this up as a Chrisitian myself.

I mean ironically enough people insist that okaying homosexuality and permitting marriage for such couples would open such a slippery slope, but banning homosexuality opens some slippery slopes as well.

Mormon religion has a policy against the consumptions of certain beverages like coffee, tea and soda. Several religions like Christians and Jehovah Witnessess frown on Halloween. Former, because they view it to be a holiday that glorifies Satan, while the later is opposed to celebrating any holidays including birthdays or Christmas.

Also, I've heard studies that homosexuality is indeed a natural thing, but lets say that it isn't. Why would being unnatural be a reason to be against them? Our society allows for people to change their hair or body entirely through fashion products and plastic surgery.

But see, Chameleons actually have the natural ability to camouflage themselves through changing their skin color. So if we were meant as a species to be able to change our bodies to suit our cosmetic needs, wouldn't we be born with the genes to alter our bodies at will whether it's changing from a blonde to brunette or making your nose smaller?

In short, if we were to successfully ban homosexuality and gay marriages, we'd have to ban a whole lot of other things that go against religion and nature whether they are socially acceptable or not.