• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
That's what I said.
"yeah but you have to agree that atheists aren't as radical as Christians in politics. or maybe it's because we have no power :/"
"That's how it should be. America is no theocracy, something guys like Huckabee never understand."

It sure sounded like suggesting it's good that atheists have no power because they'd turn the place into a theocracy. But if you misphrased that, fine by me.

I'd argue that you can get pretty close if all of your leaders believe in God in the same way (or nearly so) and (attempt to) impose their morals, which spawn from the same faith, into their lawmaking. Of course, many laws and simple morals are religiously neutral (e.g. don't kill, don't steal), so it'd be pretty ridiculous to assert that a society is theocratic because murder is illegal... but you could have a case if you claim that homosexual behaviors, gay marriage, etc. are illegal because of moral reasons. Those are definitely religiously grounded.
You mean the leaders would be closet Christians? Then they would have state atheism in name only (which isn't unrealistic or anything).

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I must say, it is nice to see the rest of the country ban together and condemn NC for that stupid law. It was also nice to see huge companies like Marvel ban together and stop Georgia from passing their religious protection law.

Mordent99

Banned
It sure sounded like suggesting it's good that atheists have no power because they'd turn the place into a theocracy. But if you misphrased that, fine by me.

Let me make myself clear.

Atheism is NOT a religion. It is the absence of religion.

Last edited:

Remix2

I must say, it is nice to see the rest of the country ban together and condemn NC for that stupid law. It was also nice to see huge companies like Marvel ban together and stop Georgia from passing their religious protection law.

You will think that they will learn that doing stuff like this will hurt them and there state, but then again that classic republican stupidity.

Speaking of which, another classic republican strategy is when you get called out for discrimination, you flipped it on to it head and say that you are the one getting discriminate, for example

https://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/no...g-to-share-bathrooms-with-transgender-people/

Last edited:

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
If there was a country founded on atheism, or had mostly ashiest leaders, they'd probably care about actual things that matter and I would definitely live there.

I'd say America and Canada are both theocracies by definition. They can say they're not, but when you have religion in the law, pray and other stupid **** in public as a leader, then you are a theocracy.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Achievement unlocked: Self-made Irony
The funny thing is that he appeared on air with the Family Research Council, which was designated as a hate group in 2010 by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

I don't think this is as much as "religious freedom" as much as it is "freedom to discriminate in practice". I know that there is a strong correlation between people who refuse services and those people being Christians, but I don't even think you would have to be a Christian (or any religion) to discriminate. In the hypothetical case of an atheist trying to bar a gay person from his or her services, do they necessarily have even say that they are Christian? It would probably be a matter where they aren't even questioned about it. Now if a Muslim tried to bar a gay person, that may be harder because of the prevalent Islamophobia present.

People criticize Islam a lot, but if you look at fundamentalist from both Islam and Christianity, you pretty much see a mirrored effect.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade

Isn't Mississippi the state with the worst education in the union? Not saying there's a connection, but there totally is.

Baba Yaga, just so you know, Bernie still lost black voters big in Wisconsin. So much for making inroads..

wrong thread

Remix2

Isn't Mississippi the state with the worst education in the union? Not saying there's a connection, but there totally is.

Yup, and instead of improving that they decided to do this.

Also off topic alittle Mississippi govnor also made April the confederate history month, Ya stay classy Mississippi.

Last edited:

Mordent99

Banned

Remix2

North Carolina's anti-LGBT law has made a lot of folks upset, including PayPal, Joel McHale, and now, Bruce Springsteen; the Boss has cancelled a concert there because of it.

How is one congressman reacting?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/north-carolina-congressman-bruce-springsteen-882208

Right, sure fellah. Like comparing Springsteen to Bieber is going to help your case.

What funny about this is that as he called Springsteen a bully for canceling the concert, he was probably one of many republicans who voting the bill to pretty discrimination lgbts. oh man the irony on that one is amazing.

Mordent99

Banned
I dont get it; how can you even pass these laws off as something that isnt f*cking awful discrimination?

Let me put it this way. Republican strategy is three parts:

1. Lie about your intentions

2. Hope and pray nobody checks the easy-to-look-up facts

3. Hope and pray the "silent majority" who approves of your underhanded actions actually exists.

It's not a very sound strategy. Maybe these folks honestly believe God is on their side and will strike down the "fornicators" as heretics, I dunno.

Edit: And now Ringo Starr has cancelled too:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/13/media/ringo-starr-north-carolina-bathroom-law/index.html

Updating my previous response, I really have no clue whatsoever why McCrory never saw this reaction coming, or thought he'd fool anyone with his explanation to the law's motives.

Last edited:

Thepowaofhax

As if North Carolina's reputation couldn't get any worse this happens.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/04/gay...d-her-with-bible-verse-calling-for-her-death/

Classic christian tolerances.
Classic Muslim tolerances.
There is no point in characterizing a minority of a group with the majority unless this minority IS the majority.

And I'm sorry, but if you were born a male you should go to the mens' room. It shouldn't matter if you think your a woman or not; it prevents people from claiming to be Transgendered to go in the opposite genders' room to do all kinds of lewd ****. Not to mention that allowing them to do so normalizes a mental illness (aka Gender Dysphoria; normalizing it would only be worse for genuine sufferers.). This is not discrimination.

A better solution is to just to build a one-toilet room that allows both genders in new buildings, as it would allow Transgendered folk to use the bathroom and not feel uncomfortable while there aren't any males in the Womens' room taking pics or something.

Last edited:

Grey Wind

And I'm sorry, but if you were born a male you should go to the mens' room. It shouldn't matter if you think your a woman or not; it prevents people from claiming to be Transgendered to go in the opposite genders' room to do all kinds of lewd ****.

Do you have any proof that rates of sexual assault/perversion increases when trans people are allowed to use the bathroom they feel comfortable in? That's ignoring the fact that that sort of stuff is illegal; a pervert is hardly going to care whether or not they're entering a bathroom legally.

Thepowaofhax

Do you have any proof that rates of sexual assault/perversion increases when trans people are allowed to use the bathroom they feel comfortabl
e in? That's ignoring the fact that that sort of stuff is illegal; a pervert is hardly going to care whether or not they're entering a bathroom legally.

While that may be true, allowing people to go into bathrooms because they "believe" they're another gender would only encourage more perverts because it suddenly became legal to go into those bathrooms if they just claim "I'm transgendered".

I'll be looking for those statistics, but common sense should tell you that a man would abuse this for nude pics or other such ****.

Edit: Also, many Sexual Assault Victims are speaking out against allowing people to go to the bathroom based on Gender Identity. Here is le' thingy.

Edit2: Sexual Assault is also on the rise in Connecticut (specifically colleges), and this is after their bill in 2011 that allows people to go into bathrooms based on gender identity.

Last edited:

Grey Wind

So that's a no, then? Passing as the opposite sex isn't as easy as you're making it out to be, and again, "well I entered the bathroom legally!" isn't a solid defence. They still broke the law and they will still be arrested. You thinking it will probably happen doesn't prove anything, and neither does that link. The rate of sexual assault has been rising since before the bill was introduced (it actually rose the most between 09 and 10), and it doesn't even specify where the incidents took place.

I'm not really sure how to respond to the other link. I don't want to belittle their experiences, but just because an argument comes from a victim of assault doesn't mean it's a valid one, and there's still nothing that ties sexual assault to trans people other than fear mongering and "it will probably happen!".

You're also ignoring the dangers transgender people face when being forced to use the wrong bathroom, although I can't imagine that's a point you'll take on board.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Classic Muslim tolerances.

There is no point in characterizing a minority of a group with the majority unless this minority IS the majority.
I'm not against Christianity, but some extreme right-wing groups take gay bashing as the central message from God.

I'm also going to assume that the reason you posted the URL is that you are trying to compare stereotyping Christians to stereotyping Muslims. Unless you say otherwise, I will leave you at that.

And I'm sorry, but if you were born a male you should go to the mens' room. It shouldn't matter if you think your a woman or not; it prevents people from claiming to be Transgendered to go in the opposite genders' room to do all kinds of lewd ****. Not to mention that allowing them to do so normalizes a mental illness (aka Gender Dysphoria; normalizing it would only be worse for genuine sufferers.). This is not discrimination.
With terms like lewd **** and mental illness, you kind of are discriminating.

A better solution is to just to build a one-toilet room that allows both genders in new buildings, as it would allow Transgendered folk to use the bathroom and not feel uncomfortable while there aren't any males in the Womens' room taking pics or something.
If that was the "restroom structure" of that facility. Otherwise, people should go to the bathroom with responsible behavior. People who commit foul deeds in restrooms should not be the example of transgendered people as you have mentioned earlier with bigots not representing Christianity.

I know a transgendered man (F to M) who I wouldn't give a rat's arse if he wanted to use the same restroom as me.

Thepowaofhax

So that's a no, then? Passing as the opposite sex isn't as easy as you're making it out to be, and again, "well I entered the bathroom legally!" isn't a solid defence. They still broke the law and they will still be arrested. You thinking it will probably happen doesn't prove anything, and neither does that link. The rate of sexual assault has been rising since before the bill was introduced (it actually rose the most between 09 and 10).

I'm not really sure how to respond to the other link. I don't want to belittle their experiences, but just because an argument comes from a victim of assault doesn't mean it's a valid one, and there's still nothing that ties sexual assault to trans people other than fear mongering and "it will probably happen!".

You're also ignoring the dangers transgender people face when being forced to use the wrong bathroom, although I can't imagine that's a point you'll take on board.

Just because someone is or isn't claiming that they're transgender shouldn't interfere with them invading others' privacy or assaulting them, something that is true. You want a law where people can pass based on their gender identity, irregardless if said person looks like said gender or not. That means if I come in as a mini-Hulk and claim that I'm really a transgendered person, not only would I be allowed into the womens' room, I would also be belittling Transgendered folk because of the action. Furthermore, all this will do in the long run is normalize a mental illness as said (normalization of a mental illness leads to less quality of care for the sufferers.)

If anything, if you want to appease both sides, it's better just to put a mandate to require newer buildings to include at least one "Toilet" room that only has one toilet. While it might be inconvenient for the person that may have to wait, it would appease both sides because Transgendered folk won't have to deal with being accosted for entering either bathroom nor would people feel insecure due to the fear of being sexually assaulted.