1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

Discussion in 'Debate Forum' started by CSolarstorm, Nov 6, 2011.

1. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

http://www.medicaldaily.com/transgender-people-more-likely-develop-depression-and-anxiety-247044
    http://austenhartke.com/blog-1/2015/5/19/o08szlrrhc8jaasya9s285qenydpy6

I think you should read these links. Again I dont think you are understanding that the link between depression/anxiety and being trans is the stigma. Also body dysmorphia, not dysphoria, is a mental illness where you don't like specific body parts on yourself and deem them ugly even when people say otherwise. It is connected to OCD. The reality of your body doesn't match your perception. Now most people suffering from BD can be relieved with medication and therapy. Medication doesn't help trans people, self-acceptance and love does. These are separate things and instead of trying to self-diagnose with auto-depression-and-anxiety-due-to-being-trans disorder. Do not intertwine the three, body dysmorphia, gender dysphoria, and being trans.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/not-all-trans-folks-dysphoria/

as stated in the above link, not all trans people experience dysphoria. This last link would be very beneficial for you to read actually. It actually sums up everything I have been saying basically. Please actually take the time to read it.

2. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

You can still identify yourself as a girl but look like a boy.

I consider myself a girl, but i like to wear jeans and t-shirts and i don't want to do the operation and even if i did, that wouldn't mean i'm sick or anythiing, it would just be a way to make people look at me the way i look at myself: as a girl. And there's nothing wrong with that.

3. lemoncatpower

Agreed, there are so many ways to express ourselves. Endless! And to think they try and assign us a gender and basically everything about us. But I think you have to realize that others dont get to decide that stuff.

Would you label yourself as gender fluid? That is a direction I've been thinking of going towards even though I am stereotypically male. I hate people assuming things about me because I am male.

4. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out, but i like to consider myself as more of a tomboy girl than a genderfluid person.

5. Jtg56108

Jtg56108 Active Member

On your first part. I'm completely fine with it. this is kind of what I've been saying. The anxiety and depression is caused by the fact you don't have a positive environment and aren't able to transition. When you aren't able to transition you're stuck with a body you can't stand changed by puberty. I

I also want to not your conflating of BDD and Gender Dysphoria. BDD is almost always trauma based while Gender Dysphoria isn't. Being trans is something your born as and something you can't change or cure. You can only treat it by transitioning to the opposite sex. I don't think just going "we accept you" is enough. To deal with the issue you should transition.

On your final note. I completely disagree. You need to have some level of discomfort with your gender to be trans. If you don't have any discomfort, why transition? What do you gain by changing genders. Plus, the only people who I've heard of that are trans and don't have some kind of Dysphoria are people that claim to be "Nonbinary" or "Agender". This seems to me to be more like seeking for attention. These people hurt the trans community more than help by making transgender into nothing more than a fashion statement. They often tend to be transphobic too as they see transitioning as conforming to gender roles (at least in more extreme circles).

6. lemoncatpower

These are your experiences so you feel them how you feel them and live life how you want to. But I don't like you telling other people that they're automatically going to be depressed and have anxiety because they are trans. Also transsexual and transgender are two different things, not all trans want to transition. Being trans doesnt need treatment as it isn't a disorder. You can treat GD and BDD, but you don't treat being trans. You don't have to be discomforted with something to want it to change. Again, please don't tell other people what they are, they aren't hurting anyone and they're living life how they would like to. You are trying to separate the community even more by saying certain people in the community aren't what they think they are because you have a 'better understanding' and 'personal experience' even though you're not out and don't have experience being out in society. Some people would say you don't have experience because you've only experienced being in the closet, not really being trans in the community. I am not going to say that, but people can turn the argument on you as well that way.

I strongly believe your comments are hurting the LGBT community by saying one of our sub communities have to live with mental illness. Not only does this say to people not in the community that certain members of LGBT, by default, aren't mentally stable, and that if you think you may be trans, you will end up developing these conditions if you aren't experiencing them already.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  7. Mordent99

Mordent99 Banned

8. Remix2

Remix2 Well-Known Member

Now Tennessee pass a bill that allow counselors to reject lgbt because of there religious.

https://t.co/GaogeN4UDt

I swear this give me more reason to hate the south.

9. lemoncatpower

how is the south and north even a part of the same country? I swear they don't agree on anything...

10. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

Hey, I might be from the south, I might have been related to Confederate army professionals, but I do have a heart!

Like I have said earlier, liberals in Texas stick out like sore thumbs, especially in areas where I live, where people voted for an intellectually inept person (Louie Gohmert). Come to think of it, its humorous and humiliating how my city's name appeared on the Colbert Report with something for Steven Colbert to make fun of.

Also, there are talks among Texas Republican politicians about succeeding. Sam Houston will roll over in his grave. Hey guys, remember how it didn't work the first time?

11. Remix2

Remix2 Well-Known Member

Watch as if they do success they come to the horrible realization that they can't get federal aid form the U.S. if there's a terrible flood like Houston is going through right now.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  12. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

Texas will turn Democrat in a decade or so, regardless of any gerrymandering they try. Turns out isolating Latino voters hurts in the long terms, and younger people swing left more than ever.

13. lemoncatpower

Well once a lot of the older gen dies out, won't most societies in North America arguably be more liberal??

Talks in texas of succeeding? Does that mean separating from the rest of the states? That's sillier than Quebec wanting to separate!

14. Mordent99

Mordent99 Banned

Believe me, I'd be all too willing to let them secede and let Mexico have them back. But I'm afraid they wouldn't want them.

15. lemoncatpower

I shared this to my facebook and it got a lot of hits (as in people hating the cops), I hope someone reached out to the girl in the bathroom!
    Also why the eff was a male cop in their too? Im sure the situation was being taken care of already with the female cop.. unless theyre all stupid.

lmao theyd all shoot each other to death...

16. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom @JohanSSB4 Twitter

Texas heads know full well that if the state seceded, they would not survive. It's budget does not allow for maintaining infrastructure and agriculture subsidies. It relies on national government for assistance.

Unfortunately, it's provided Texas conservatives an easy scapegoat for pinning all the state's woes on in the face of the less-informed voter bloc. So they'll keep spinning the secession idea despite having no desire to do so in the end, because that's what keeps them in office.

17. Mordent99

Mordent99 Banned

18. How is this different from gay people hating on bisexual people? If you don't want people shitting on your identity don't erase and ridicule the identity of others.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  19. The Admiral

The Admiral solid state survivor

I'm nonbinary -- "genderfluid" is kind of a better idea but that's still often a class of NB -- and I can safely say you're full of **** on this one. I mean, I think the main point has been explained to you already, but:

How do you know that the NB/agender people you meet don't have dysphoria? Or that all of the trans people you've met have some class of dysphoria? Seriously, I think you're bending the truth about this one a little. Also the last thing does not apply solely to NB/agender people in "more extreme circles" (i.e. something I have pretty much only seen on Tumblr, the closest thing otherwise that I could possibly think of are trans-erasing radical feminists).

If these are your only experiences, you need more experience. Simple as that.

20. Mordent99

Mordent99 Banned

Yaga, most homophobes can't tell the difference.

The real reason they hate gays is because of the "ick factor". They see two men kissing, and think, "ick, I don't like that!" so rather than just go away and mind their own business, they have to demonize it in the media and tell people it's evil.

Conservatives are like that. They think changing the world to accommodate their views is easier than them changing to accommodate the world's continually changing views.

"The tree that does not bend, breaks", as a wise man once said.