• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Homosexuality & Politics in the 21st Century

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
A good point. So our representatives take the opinions of the populace (a vote) and make the laws in accordance with the vote. The Judicial branch determines if the vote was genuine and not tampered with. And the executive signs the documents at the end.

Still boils down to satisfying the majority. Which so far, is still in the stone age. Not to mention that the majority of men and women are presently not even from my generation much less yours. For change to take place you gotta get rid of the old incumbents (Congressmen 56.7 Y.O. Ave and 62.2 Y.O. Ave Senators) and inject some fresh views and opinions.So give it another 16 years or so and your opinion will maybe have majority finally. Sad isn't it that what we want can't become law until we are almost to old to care anymore.

nailatixela

Pokemon Master
Still boils down to satisfying the majority. Which so far, is still in the stone age. Not to mention that the majority of men and women are presently not even from my generation much less yours. For change to take place you gotta get rid of the old incumbents (Congressmen 56.7 Y.O. Ave and 62.2 Y.O. Ave Senators) and inject some fresh views and opinions.So give it another 16 years or so and your opinion will maybe have majority finally. Sad isn't it that what we want can't become law until we are almost to old to care anymore.

We do have a majority (a slight one, but a majority nonetheless) of Americans in favor of marriage equality. It's quite recent - just in the last year or two I believe. And of course, the younger the generation, the higher the approval for marriage equality...so it is just all a matter of time. Even though, like all civil rights, seems slow.

7 tyranitars

A good point. So our representatives take the opinions of the populace (a vote) and make the laws in accordance with the vote. The Judicial branch determines if the vote was genuine and not tampered with. And the executive signs the documents at the end.

It is true change happens when older people die out.

Zevn

Lost in Translation
Jerp expects respect for the positions of people who are so tightly bound by their superstition, that they cannot even begin to consider the possibility of the opposing perspective. It will remain a gift ungiven.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I think respect is something we only think we have the choice to give or deny when we are in a position to deny it, before time passes and we are at want for it ourselves. I disagree with people who are against homosexuality - spiritually, because I believe perversity or materialism is equal opportunity, and politically, because democracy is not meant to inhibit the will of the people. But I know that their difference of opinion comes from having a different logic and a different perspective, and I can respect other people to give them a fair fight.

Last edited:

Zevn

Lost in Translation
What use is the respect of people like that anyway? When they show it, it's only to mask their hatred in the hopes of making it sound reasonable.

What is your definition of perversity?

A fair fight is not one where they sit idly on the unassailable plateau of "faith."

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
What use is the respect of people like that anyway? When they show it, it's only to mask their hatred in the hopes of making it sound reasonable.

A fair fight is not one where they sit idly on the unassailable plateau of "faith."
Yes but they believe in something, formed an opinion using that belief. That is different from how you and I do it? We have taken what we have learned and heard and experienced and made a choice. As did those who oppose us. I can disagree with many opinions and views yet respect the individual. I knew a deacon in a church as a fellow security guard, he was a male chauvinist! When I called him on it he said, "Darn right I am!". Hated the view but respected the man for owning his faults without shame.

Jerp expects respect for the positions of people who are so tightly bound by their superstition, that they cannot even begin to consider the possibility of the opposing perspective. It will remain a gift ungiven.
but of course you're not so tightly bound by your beliefs that you cannot consider the possibility of the opposing perspective
its always the people who disagree with you who are closed minded and superstitious

I could easily provide quotes from this thread and others, probably take them out of context, and make the case that you have a hatred of religion. However, I don't make that case because I give you the benefit of the doubt. Why do you make the case that people who build their lives around the teachings of the Bible hate homosexuals?

CSolarstorm

New spicy version

My definition of perversity is any corruption of a loving relationship, such as lust without love, faking affection for money, trying to control someone, verbal, emotional and physical abuse, stuff like that. All marriages are vulnerable to that. Some marriages have a stigma attached to them that give them a higher divorce rate, so that's a variable, but otherwise hazards like that are equal opportunity. My parents, even though they divorced once, their current marriage has lasted sixteen years, compared to three heterosexual marriages that I know of. One lasted six months, the other just one year (guy cheated from the beginning), and the last, nine years.

Okay. Let's stop providing vegetarian lunches, make churches pay taxes, send religious pacifists to war, just overall deny religious people accomodations for their religion for the simple reason that those people can't provide a scientific argument for why they need what they need. Let's see how far humanity gets without regard to any sort of religious belief. You say it's an 'unassailable plateau' I say it's a safe zone. The way you prevent people from abusing their safe zone isn't by invading that safe zone, but by making it impossible to use as a form of aggression. Make it clear that it is unconstitutional to use democracy as a way to decide people's rights.

Zevn

Lost in Translation

Yes, it is different. They believe without a legitimate foundation.

You don't give me the benefit of the doubt, we have spoken enough for you to know that my distaste for organised religion is vicarious; due to the teachings they propagate, and actions they enable.

There are many people who build their lives around religious teachings, who hate homosexuals, or want to inhibit their lives.

I considered religion before I abandoned it.

snip

The way you prevent people from abusing their safe zone isn't by invading that safe zone, but by making it impossible to use as a form of aggression. Make it clear that it is unconstitutional to use democracy as a way to decide people's rights.

A sound argument, I will consider it. Admittedly, I am not content with allowing people to remain in the traps they were born into.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Sorry Zevn but the bible for all its flaws is a good foundation for moral guidance. Using it as a guide is not a bad thing, but letting every choice be determined by its writing is bound to cause some trouble.

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time
Sorry Zevn but the bible for all its flaws is a good foundation for moral guidance. Using it as a guide is not a bad thing, but letting every choice be determined by its writing is bound to cause some trouble.

This is very true, just like the the Koran, in which the times were this book was composed the Muslims were deeply hated because of the lack of understanding towards the profit Muhammad's, peace be upon him, Knowledge. Though in order to protect their faith they fought back so within the times the book was composed their deep seeded anger in which they were being victimized by, was transferred accordingly.

The only thing you should be taking from the bible is that Jesus, broke the infinite cycles of all things and did not become re-incarnated again through his virtuous purity in which his knowledge allowed him to have. If your trying to emulate jesus you cant ever hate anything..

Last edited:

Silver Soul

Well yesterday, Jon Stewart talked about Boy Scouts on not letting in gay young scouts and adult leaders as well as the COO of Chick-Fil-A who voiced his opposing view on Gay Marriage. In response to the latter, the Jim Henson company who did the Muppets will no longer work with the company and the mayor of Boston announced there won't be a Chick-Fil-A restaurant in the city until they change their message.

In other news, Mike Huckabee calls for "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day" on August 1st in following to the criticism.

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time
Well yesterday, Jon Stewart talked about Boy Scouts on not letting in gay young scouts and adult leaders as well as the COO of Chick-Fil-A who voiced his opposing view on Gay Marriage. In response to the latter, the Jim Henson company who did the Muppets will no longer work with the company and the mayor of Boston announced there won't be a Chick-Fil-A restaurant in the city until they change their message.

In other news, Mike Huckabee calls for "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day" on August 1st in following to the criticism.

lol American politics from my knowledge has never been about common sence hehe.

Zevn

Lost in Translation
I see you praising a hurricane's faint silver lining in it's deadly deluge Malanu. *sigh* More bad than good.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
The only thing you should be taking from the bible is that Jesus, broke the infinite cycles of all things and did not become re-incarnated again through his virtuous purity in which his knowledge allowed him to have. If your trying to emulate jesus you cant ever hate anything..
No Jesus was not reincarnated, instead we have Zombie Jesus Or more close to the Undead lore... Jesus the Lich! Sorry gang it is a bit of dark RPG humor that!http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Alright, I'm gonna push A LOT of boundaries here. People complain "gays ruin society", but they don't realize that celebrities marry and divorce within 11 days. If gays are happy, let them be. Now, ask yourselves, what ruins society more? Gay people being happy with each other, or celebrities spending millions of dollars on marriage and divorce within 11 days? Celebrities have a lot better things to spend their money on, like giving to various charities.

How would you like it if children's entertainment companies stopped working with and mayors banned companies that took a public stance in favor of gay rights? I'm as much for marriage equality as you can be, but this is overboard. People are going to disagree politically. I don't see why governments should start banning businesses based on their owner's moral positions. Honestly that's just a scary idea regardless of where you sit politically? What happens when the conservatives are in the majority? "Well, this business here supports gay rights, so we'd better not give them a building permit..." Is that the government you want?

Last edited:

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
How would you like it if children's entertainment companies stopped working with and mayors banned companies that took a public stance in favor of gay rights? I'm as much for marriage equality as you can be, but this is overboard. People are going to disagree politically. I don't see why governments should start banning businesses based on their owner's moral positions. Honestly that's just a scary idea regardless of where you sit politically? What happens when the conservatives are in the majority? "Well, this business here supports gay rights, so we'd better not give them a building permit..." Is that the government you want?

First of all, regardless of your political view that gays should be able to marry, you are not 'as much for marriage equality as you can be'. Not when you can support marriage equality and then say with a straight face that it's not your buisiness whether or not those young couples go to hell or not. You support marriage equality - great. But as long as you're missing that comprehension of the moral angle of this issue - or if you want to bring up subjectivity, our percieved side of the moral angle of the issue - you are not 'as much for marriage equality as you can be'.

Second, while the mayor shouldn't be able to ban Chik'-Fil-A just based on its beliefs, the decision the Muppets company made is legit. Private companies have the freedom to decide what other private companies they associate with - freedom of speech, association, and all that.

Third, with any luck, all these appeal to tradition campaigns against gay marriage will be deemed politically self-centered on cultural preference, logically fallacious, and unconstitutional as we age out of the older generation that had more trouble tolerating homosexuality.

hehehe now we're talking, a suspended state of re-animation, controlling energy.
Perfectly plausible, infact theirs a few ancient astronaut theories that suggest that exact senario happened.

That's getting off-topic - this thread is specifically for homosexuality, although you can talk about religion and mysticism if it's related to homosexuality.

Edit: Did you guys know that Chik'-Fil-A is apparently telling their customers that the muppets toys were recalled due to a 'possible safety issue'? They're saying that even though nobody was injured, some kids 'got their fingers stuck in the puppets'.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7oi71yXqG1r0l6mao2_1280.jpg

Last edited: