• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HonchTank Deck

Matthewk

Honchtank Deck (Unlimited)
Win percentage testing (75%). Win percentage with friends (80%).
Energies

8 Darkness energy
6 Water energy

Special Energies

4 Special Dark energy
1 Rescue Energy

Stadiums

1 Moonlight Stadium

Supporters

1 Roseanne's research
2 Professor Oak's theories
1 Professor Oak's visit
1 Bebe's Search
1 Interviewer's Questions
1 Pokemon Collector

Trainers

1 Quick ball
2 Pokeballs
1 Super scoop up
1 Max potion
2 Potions
1 Moomoo Milk
1 Pokemon Rescue
1 Warp point
3 Energy Searches
1 Energy Switch
1 Night Maintenance

Pokemon

2 Buizels 61/106
1 Floatzel 16/95
2 Sneasel 100/130
1 Weavile 40/132
2 Murkrows 90/123
1 Honchkrow 29/147
2 Stunkys 102/130
1 Skuntank 26/100
1 Skuntank 15/130
1 Carvanha 81/132
1 Carvanha 58/111
1 Sharpedo 38/108
Sableye 35/90
Houndour 53/90

Basically the point of this deck is to maximize the ability for the pokemon to work together.
The Carvanhas though low in HP protect themselves and stall the match to make more time for loading up the bench. Though the sharpedo self destructs in a sense through its attack that does ten damage to itself, it is a nice deviation in the mix because its weakness is grass instead of lightning, so it makes up for the lightning weakness. The Buizels provide a quick way to attack without any energy. The Floatzel itself is more of an independent character as it can defend itself with its high attack and retreat quickly with its zero retreat cost. The Murkrows are a quick way to get more pokemon on the bench through its swarm attack and are a quick way to maneuver among the bench if I want to attack but switch out with a pokemon that is not weak to lightning. The Honchkrow is the heavy hitter with a maximum damage of 180. (The highest I have ever hit with it is 150.) The Honchkrow is also a self fueling pokemon through its darkness restore which allows it to do ten damage more. The stunkys act as a quick way to get small damage in on the enemies while also poisoning their enemies and making retreat a real option for the opponent. This allows quick damage on top of discarded energy for the opponent. The Skuntanks allow me to prevent attacks once one is played greatly affecting gameplay if I need to protect my attacker for one turn. Its high hitting plunder attack allows for huge damage on top of preventing any item cards from being used on it (unless the enemy switches.) It also has a better poison attack. The second Skuntank allows for high hitting poison in addition to access to the opponent's bench. The Houndour is there as an independent party for a side tactic. The sableye allows for high hitting damage, as this deck flushed cards into the hand extremely fast and allows me to reuse and restore cards from my discard to refuel my gameplay and prevent deck bankruptcy. The sneasels allow me small damage while preventing the opponent from using item/tool cards in some cases.

Aaaaaaand then comes the Weavile.

The Weavile is used for multiple strategies.

Buizel/Weavile antipoison/antiburn strategy- If on the field I have a Weavile, two buizels and the Moonlight stadium I can allow free retreats to my buizels while also being able to transfer the two back and forth to prevent poison and burn damage while also getting small hits in.

Weavile/All. Weavile is used to shadow charge the whole group to, at max, provide a 40 damage boost to one pokemon's attacks.

Weavile/Sableye. Weavile paired with Sableye allows me to darkness charge sableye's pull out attack so I can repeatedly pull out healing items to restore sableye and the deck while also doing 40 damage.
This tactic is also used to keep reusing professor Oak's theory over and over again to quickly flush out the hands and build upon the bench.

Dang. Should have called this deck Weavileye.

Last edited:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
Moonlight stadium only effects psychic and dark pokemon not buizel which is a water type.

From my perspective there is to many one of cards and lack of draw and search support to get things going, there does seem to be a lot of attack based strategies and archtypes in the deck but if your opponent eliminates a single attacker making up the strategy in the deck it doesn't have a lot to offer, multiple copies would help in making it go further.

Matthewk

I think you should take a look at Weavile 40/132's pokepower :p. Also, through my play experience, search support has never been a problem. But, I have to give it to you that if the Weavile or the Honchkrow take a fall, things do get a bit rough, but thats why I try to keep them benched until I absolutely need it.

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
Lysandre eliminates your bench and your strategy. I have seen weaviles power as I played in that format, but it's pretty much tech support, not an effective attacker. On a side note its not just the draw and search support, the pokemon lines are far to thin to consistently see weavile and sableye out every game turn 1-2, playing multiple copies just helps that out.

Matthewk

Actually you're right. Most games I end up relying on a stunky or a Murkrow until I can get a professor oak or a pokemon collector. The Lysander card is OP though! It prevents a lot of effort for attacking the pokemon you want. I always try a similar tactic through the use of either a warp point/moonlight stadium combo so the opponent can switch to a weaker meatshield kind of pokemon while I can switch to what I want, or a warp/point free retreat pokemon combo. It takes a little more effort than Lysander, but i am still able to use supporters while scoring a cheap prize card. I want to find a place in the deck for a Scott card. It would boost up deck speed while allowing me to get the stadium I want out faster. For some decks I build I even use Scott to Scott another Scott so in total I can Scott out a combo of 5 supporters/stadiums. The only problem is, Scott is a bad combo with professor Oak's theory because after the end of the two turns I would end up with two "shuffle my hand into my deck" cards and it would defeat the purpose of Scotting because the supporters would just go back into my hand. Also, for the thin consistency with the pokemon lines, this was purposeful to try to create variability with my pokemon's weaknesses.( Except for the damn Houndour. I am planning on replacing it with D/P base set Weavile for 2x power up bonuses [30 for base attack and 30 for SP attack] with the SP darkness energies.) But, again you are right, variability has screwed me over a few times as I would end up with something like, two carvanha on the field and like, a Skuntank in my hand.

Actually, reconsidering your last line about getting out the pokemon in one to two turns, this actually scares me a little because as the format rotates the cards seem to get stronger and stronger and I see so many people using combinations with EX cards that are extremely overpowered. How would this deck compare to a new format deck? Currently, I have only been able to successfully compete with base set black and white decks as my friends and I are poor :D 20 HP HEALING POTIONS FOR LIFE.

Are there any other specific cards you could suggest to make the deck better? Right now through experience my only uncontrolable problem is a dry deck toward's the end of the match. (Usually my friends and I last about an hour before the match ends.) The only way I know to fix this problem is to Sableye + Night Maintenance combo to ensure that my deck can keep itself afloat, but it is a slow tactic and Sableye usually gets knocked out, or at this point it is too dangerous to put Sableye on the field to attempt such a maneuver. OOOOH one question. For Sableye 35/90, I don't have to shuffle the deck after I put the card on top of the deck do I? The card doesn't specify to do so, but my opponent can't touch my deck can they?

Plus, for the variability, at least I am not as bad as my friend. He shoved 30 water pokemon in one deck on top of 18 energy. He would always complain about not getting energy until I took the time to look in his deck and correct it. He only had 2 supporters xD

Last edited by a moderator:

ven?

Kanto Region Champ
Playing a thin pokemon line versus thinning out your deck, if you play heavy draw and search support, playing 4-6 basic pokemon in your deck becomes no problem whatsoever on when or whenever you can get those cards out and attack with when you have the option to easily choose when and were, I won a tournament with 7-8 basic pokemon in my deck intotal, so amounts are useless to superior draw and search support.

How would this deck deal with a current tier/competitive decklist, It wouldn't be able to play either supporters or item cards or it would go against something that could easily sweep through your deck dealing a consistent 100+ dmg per turn.

If you search your deck you always have to shuffle your deck or it's considered deck stacking/cheating.

the best way to make a better deck is multipul copies of your major attacker so for instance if you want to run a stage 2 pokemon in your deck maybe something like

4-2-4 pokemon

4 rare candy
4 ultra ball

From there I'll let you figure out the best combo, playing max ensures the use of said card and combination of card, it may not be 100% everyturn but it will be a lot easier to play, for stage 1

3-3 or 4-4

2 wally or evosoda if you don't have wally.

Matthewk

Hmm.... I will look up which sets the rare candies are from. Same with the ultra balls. I am actually working on improving an electric deck where I am planning a 3-1-3 Luxray line. They could come in handy when skipping the Luxio phase.