1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Honey Trees

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by BTS_fan, Jun 25, 2019.

1. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

What did you think of this feature from Diamond, Pearl and Platinum? Were you ever able to get all the special Pokemon including Munchlax from these trees?

I really liked the idea behind rubbing Honey on trees to attract wild Pokemon, but the fact that there was a time limit to how long the Honey effect lasted for was really annoying...

Jerimiyah likes this.
  2. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Still miss you, Lorne. Staff Member

I liked them ok, but sometimes they could be very annoying. Female Combees took forever to get!

BTS_fan and TokoyamiTheDark like this.
  3. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I disliked the Honey Tree game mechanic in general. Not only was having to wait several hours for the Honey to attract a Pokemon a real pain, but the fact that the Pokemon that appeared were random was really frustrating sometimes, like when I would be looking for a Minomucchi (Burmy) and I'd find a Kemusso (Wurmple) instead.

WishIhadaManafi5 and BTS_fan like this.
  4. I never even bothered to look for a Munchlax on these trees since there was only like a 1% chance of finding them on certain trees iirc. I really preferred headbutting trees instead.

5. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I never hunted a Gonbe (Munchlax) using that method, either. It sounds complicated from what I've read since it depends on the player's trainer ID and secret ID, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who successfully found a Gonbe on a Honey Tree.

MockingJ and Jerimiyah like this.
  6. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

Yeah at least with Headbutt you could keep trying to search every tree whereas Honey took so long to activate. I really think that Gamefreak dropped the ball with Honey Trees by making the waiting time unbearably long...

MockingJ and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  7. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

The waiting period was presumably done to avoid people taking advantage of the feature and getting tons of rare Pokemon to appear in a short period of time, at least I'm assuming that was the case since I can't see why else Game Freak would make it so difficult.

8. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

Although I didn't like the Honey trees nearly as much as the Headbutt ones (since waiting for hours wasn't all that pleasant), I still found the new method of encountering Pokemon noteworthy. I actually managed to catch a Munchlax in Platinum using the tree found inside the Eterna Forest shortcut. I didn't mind female Combee being elusive, either, since you can always soft reset for them.

MockingJ and Leonhart like this.
  9. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I always loathed having to soft reset at Honey trees just to find a female Mitsuhoney (Combee), though. It took a long time since most of the wild Mitsuhoney tended to be male, although that's more of a problem with the species' gender ratio than the Honey trees themselves I suppose.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  10. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Oh boy did I hate these trees man. I remember searching for a Heracross when I played Diamond and it took me days just to find one in a honey tree, by which point I no longer even needed Heracross since I just decided to get another Fighting Pokemon instead. I also hated how in Diamond and Pearl you could only buy one Honey at a time.

WishIhadaManafi5 and Leonhart like this.
  11. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

Thankfully Platinum version improved that by allowing Honey to be purchased in bulk, but it was a bit irksome to have to purchase Honey one at a time in Diamond and Pearl. You could also use Mitsuhoney's (Combee's) ability to attain Honey, although it was reliant on chance and therefore not very reliable.

MockingJ and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.