• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Honey Trees

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
What did you think of this feature from Diamond, Pearl and Platinum? Were you ever able to get all the special Pokemon including Munchlax from these trees?

I really liked the idea behind rubbing Honey on trees to attract wild Pokemon, but the fact that there was a time limit to how long the Honey effect lasted for was really annoying...

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I liked them ok, but sometimes they could be very annoying. Female Combees took forever to get!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I disliked the Honey Tree game mechanic in general. Not only was having to wait several hours for the Honey to attract a Pokemon a real pain, but the fact that the Pokemon that appeared were random was really frustrating sometimes, like when I would be looking for a Minomucchi (Burmy) and I'd find a Kemusso (Wurmple) instead.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
I never even bothered to look for a Munchlax on these trees since there was only like a 1% chance of finding them on certain trees iirc. I really preferred headbutting trees instead.

I never hunted a Gonbe (Munchlax) using that method, either. It sounds complicated from what I've read since it depends on the player's trainer ID and secret ID, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who successfully found a Gonbe on a Honey Tree.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I never even bothered to look for a Munchlax on these trees since there was only like a 1% chance of finding them on certain trees iirc. I really preferred headbutting trees instead.

Yeah at least with Headbutt you could keep trying to search every tree whereas Honey took so long to activate. I really think that Gamefreak dropped the ball with Honey Trees by making the waiting time unbearably long...

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
Yeah at least with Headbutt you could keep trying to search every tree whereas Honey took so long to activate. I really think that Gamefreak dropped the ball with Honey Trees by making the waiting time unbearably long...

The waiting period was presumably done to avoid people taking advantage of the feature and getting tons of rare Pokemon to appear in a short period of time, at least I'm assuming that was the case since I can't see why else Game Freak would make it so difficult.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Although I didn't like the Honey trees nearly as much as the Headbutt ones (since waiting for hours wasn't all that pleasant), I still found the new method of encountering Pokemon noteworthy. I actually managed to catch a Munchlax in Platinum using the tree found inside the Eterna Forest shortcut. I didn't mind female Combee being elusive, either, since you can always soft reset for them.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
I didn't mind female Combee being elusive, either, since you can always soft reset for them.

I always loathed having to soft reset at Honey trees just to find a female Mitsuhoney (Combee), though. It took a long time since most of the wild Mitsuhoney tended to be male, although that's more of a problem with the species' gender ratio than the Honey trees themselves I suppose.

MockingJ

Banned
Oh boy did I hate these trees man. I remember searching for a Heracross when I played Diamond and it took me days just to find one in a honey tree, by which point I no longer even needed Heracross since I just decided to get another Fighting Pokemon instead. I also hated how in Diamond and Pearl you could only buy one Honey at a time.

Leonhart

Imagineer
MockingJ said:
I also hated how in Diamond and Pearl you could only buy one Honey at a time.

Thankfully Platinum version improved that by allowing Honey to be purchased in bulk, but it was a bit irksome to have to purchase Honey one at a time in Diamond and Pearl. You could also use Mitsuhoney's (Combee's) ability to attain Honey, although it was reliant on chance and therefore not very reliable.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
They were the poor man's headbutt trees weren't they? I didn't like having to wait so long just to see if a wild mon would show up to a tree I had used honey on, only for me to find a Silcoon in the tree instead of something I needed like a Heracross or female Combee.

TwilightBlade

I remember putting Honey on every single tree in Sinnoh when I first played Diamond because I was desperate to find a Munchlax since it was one of my favourite Sinnoh Pokemon in the old days. Of course I never found one and got really mad so I just went and traded for a Snorlax and bred a Munchlax using it. Ever since then I don't even use the Honey trees anymore since I've grown bitter about them.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
I remember putting Honey on every single tree in Sinnoh when I first played Diamond because I was desperate to find a Munchlax since it was one of my favourite Sinnoh Pokemon in the old days. Of course I never found one and got really mad so I just went and traded for a Snorlax and bred a Munchlax using it. Ever since then I don't even use the Honey trees anymore since I've grown bitter about them.

Don't remind me about Munchlax. They made that thing so freaking rare on honey trees that you were better off not even bothering to find one like that and instead breed for a Munchlax.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I liked the idea of Honey Trees, but as said the execution was just off. Only found a Munchlax ONCE, ever. And even that was more tedious than I’d like. I’m replaying Diamond and Pearl atm though, I don’t expect myself to even bother slathering any trees.

I, also, hate how you can’t buy them in bulk. It’s also a shame that’s the only way to get an aipom iirc, never once seen one pop up after a slathering.

Leonhart

Imagineer
SubtleVVeirdoh said:
I, also, hate how you can’t buy them in bulk.

Do you mean in Diamond and Pearl specifically? Because I'm pretty sure that you can buy them in bulk in a set of ten in Platinum version at the Sonoo (Floaroma) Meadow.

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
Do you mean in Diamond and Pearl specifically? Because I'm pretty sure that you can buy them in bulk in a set of ten in Platinum version at the Sonoo (Floaroma) Meadow.

Yeah, I haven’t played Diamond and Pearl since they were originally released. So, it kinda came as a surprise when I realized that was just a Platinum thing.