• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hooked on Onix (414)

stigy

Arteest
This episode gets the award for WORST DUB TITLE.

~*Myuu the Ryuu*~

The epitome of grace
^ I know.. Why they would base it off of "Hooked on Phonics" is beyond me. These puns are just plain idiocy.

G

Geki

Not my favorite filler, but it's OK nonetheless. At the beginning Ash is complaining about how he's so thirsty, so can't Corphish and Squirtle act like a water fountain? Squirtle's face was priceless when it ran into the first Beedrilll. I can't believe Max slept through all that battling between Corphish and Squirtle. I think this is the first episode ever that Team Rocket didn't use a disquise, seriously. For some reason I can imagine James with a Golem, it seems to suit his personality in a way. The battle between Grovyle and Onix was cool, but it was kind of weird that they had to battle Onix in order for it to believe them. Why the hell would Ash use Quick Attack on a rock type?

6/10

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was a pretty good episode. It actually made up for the bad aftertaste of last week's awful special. Anyways, I thought the part with all the pokemon battling each other in the beginning was sort of funny. As well as Phanpy and Squirtle's encounter with the Beedrill. It was cool to see that Phanpy knows Hidden Power.

RandomCharizard

"and run like a raikou!" is what I heard. 5/10 for horrible puns, Onix mispelling and for the voices, THEY SUCKED >:0 SONVA!... >.> I really didn't like this filler , I just didnt like it.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
They mispronounced Raikou per usual, thats like a given now.

I did realize how much better the usual voices are then the new ones, I took them for granite.....BWAHAHA! PUN!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This episode was to showcase all the old Kanto Rock Pokemon, huh? With Steelix recently shown in the Hoenn league, as well as Onix, Geodude, Graveler, and Golem here, they showcased both lines in their entirety recently.

Am I the only one who finds May's Squirtle kind of cute? Generally, May gets girl versions of Ash's Pokemon, (her Bulbasaur and her Squirtle), but its voice is also kind of cute.

Grovyle Vs. Onix was the highlight of the episode, as short as it was. I wonder, when PUSA gets the show, will Team Rocket still say as many puns as 4kids made them say?

Chris

Old Coot
8 years dubbing and this is the SECOND time they've misspelled Onix? And the bajillionth time they've mispronounced Raikou. Brilliant!

Kabuto

little punks!
4Kid dubbing at its worst (even though there were no rice balls to edit into sandwiches). Though it was refreshing to hear old voices again. Back to the episode....it was a Team Rocket trick we have seen millions of times before. Though that Grovyle vs. Onix fight was awesome.

pharaohguy530

The one and only.
It was ok, but it could have been better.
Title is stupid.
overall 6/10
Favorite part: When Ash slithered down the mountain, like he had no bones.
Thats funny.
"That Onix is at a high lv!"
I doubt that. If Grovyle defeated a KING so easily, then I doubt that it was high leveled.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Why is everyone complaining all of a sudden about editing? I didn't see like anything edited, and Team Rocket didn't use more puns then usual (I liked their puns kinda, especially the ones at the end.)

Check my avatar. XD

Kabuto

little punks!
I doubt that. If Grovyle defeated a KING so easily, then I doubt that it was high leveled.

Grovyle had an enormous type advantage. Besides, Grovyle is at a high level as well.

M'kay, Aside from the fact that I kissed my TV when I heard Veronica Taylors voice coming out of Ash's lips...I guess this was just a so-so episode..>_>

The mispelling of Onix made me a bid...edgy and Whoo they mispronounced Raikou, big surprise.

The story was just your general pokemon gets seperated by trainers and need to survive against the wild bullies...Whoo.

Overall 6/10...Meh

Medea

Excalibur
Hmm...Hooked on Onyx?

Well, I've seen stranger things (not surprising that it happened close to the anniversary of the you-know-what). Well, I didn't really fancy this episode too much. Okay I better stop beating around the bush, it just sucked. But good for me to hear my glorious voices (for the time being).

Disclaimer: If anyone would like to quote me on the voices and say something negative, Medea says to go suck a lemon.

S_P

Soul Trainer
pharaohguy530 said:
It was ok, but it could have been better.
Title is stupid.
overall 6/10
Favorite part: When Ash slithered down the mountain, like he had no bones.
Thats funny.

I wonder why the dubbers didn't say "that Onix is strong" or "Don't use physical attacks against its high defense."

Also apparently when you aim at its head it's more effective. Like a flamethrower on a steelix, onix doesn't get "as" effected by a grass or water attack if it doesn't hit their head (example: blocking an attack with their tail)

The strongest Onix we've seen is that oversized one that had a Sandslash stuck in it that Bruno caught anyways.

I kind of liked the "different" rollout that the Geodude had. Or rather, it was less expected because it already had a spherical version.

Been a while since I last saw a Graveler (or maybe I missed a lot of airings of it). Golem must have been a minion for its smaller size, because technically it's rather strong.

And this morning I was expecting the new VAs since I missed last week.

I don't think May gets girl versions of Ash's pokemon, but rather baby versions. Nice CGI, but very bad accuracy. Apparently lazy pokemon have insanely good dodging ability.

An interesting thing about the Onyx spelling is that Phonix doesn't use a y.

RaikousThunder

Poison Tail!!
Cant believe they mispelt Onix. Do you think 4Kids is messing up the anime on purpose?? Be funny if they did. Anyway i liked this filler mainly cause Onix is one of my favorite pokemon. Seeing Graveler and Golem again was cool too. I would have liked more reaction out of Brock since he came across two pokemon he has had. Having a flash back of him giving them to his little bro would have been cool or something. I liked the battle between Onix and Grovyle. When Grovyle used its Quick Attack i was like that was stupid. Squirtle is kinda cute, its voice could use some work but eh. It was totally cute hitting Phanpy after Phanpy picked it up to get away from the Beedrill. Do they dub Beedrill's voice? It kinda sounds like Spear since they just say "Sppp". Ok and question bout Raikou, how is it supposed to be pronounced? I say Rye-Koh or Rye-Koo sometimes. The one thing i liked bout Pokemon Stadium 2 is they announced pokemon names and i think they said Rye-Koh on there. They also say Lar-Vih-Tar instead of Lar-Vay-Tar like the anime. I like the Vih better. Anyway thats off topic. Cool ep.