• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hooked on Onix (414)

S_P

Soul Trainer
RaikousThunder said:
Cant believe they mispelt Onix. Do you think 4Kids is messing up the anime on purpose?? I liked the battle between Onix and Grovyle. When Grovyle used its Quick Attack i was like that was stupid. Squirtle is kinda cute, its voice could use some work but eh. It was totally cute hitting Phanpy after Phanpy picked it up to get away from the Beedrill. Do they dub Beedrill's voice? It kinda sounds like Spear since they just say "Sppp".

Something tells me that "Onyx" is actually their name reference, meaning that it's possible that it's not a misspelling, but rather that's how they spell it (sort of like the improper pronounciation of Raikou. THEY pronounce it wrong BUT that IS how THEY pronounce it). It's like there's a japanese pronounciation, an english pronounciation, a chronicles pronounciation, and a dub pronounciation. So similar to the Raikou mispronounciation, the Onyx misspelling might actually be their particular spelling. In terms of being incorrect, it is, but at the same time they're rather consistent with it.

Grovyle's Quick Attack is considered a "counter attack manoeuvre". You dodge the Iron Tail and come back with a quick attack. Theoretically it's not strategically stupid aside from the simple fact that Onix is known for defense. However, for that same reason, Leaf Blade could have been used, I suppose (I mean you jump and then use Leaf Blade)

It doesn't seem like that Beedrill's voice is dubbed. The japanese name is spear, and it sounds exactly the same. I believe it's retained. (If I recall, they used to just have the swarm do a typical bee sound, but this one clearly had the japanese voice sound of Spear.)

TotodileCharizard

I thought this episode was pretty good, made up for the special last week. I really liked the battle between Onix and Grovyle, nice. Maybe Onix is spelled Onyx or that's how they thought it was spelled. I dunno about the Onyx/Onix thing.

Chris

Old Coot
S_P said:
Something tells me that "Onyx" is actually their name reference, meaning that it's possible that it's not a misspelling, but rather that's how they spell it (sort of like the improper pronounciation of Raikou. THEY pronounce it wrong BUT that IS how THEY pronounce it). It's like there's a japanese pronounciation, an english pronounciation, a chronicles pronounciation, and a dub pronounciation. So similar to the Raikou mispronounciation, the Onyx misspelling might actually be their particular spelling. In terms of being incorrect, it is, but at the same time they're rather consistent with it.
I'm sorry, but that's a load of bull. They KNEW it was spelled Onix and have spelled it that way before, especially during the PokeRap. It's simply a case of them usually bungling up things they don't remember.

Especially since there's absolutely no way one can get "Raikuu" out of Raikou. You'd figure it wouldn't kill them to ask Nintendo or something. o_O

Deathborn_606

Power of the mind
This episode was okay. Onix isn't one of my favourite's though.

Magus

Fog Trainer
Geki said:
At the beginning Ash is complaining about how he's so thirsty, so can't Corphish and Squirtle act like a water fountain?
That's what I was wondering. Water Gun attacks seem to spontaneously generate water with no apparent limits, so why not just have Mudkip and Squirtle refill their canteens?

Sunain

Pokemon Master
CyberCubed said:
Are we supposed to use that as our wallpaper to rant about the stupidity of 4kids?

I dont care what the hell you do with it. I was just posting it for people to see that havent seen the episode yet.

Kthleen

Wayfaring stranger
Edward Elric said:
Especially since there's absolutely no way one can get "Raikuu" out of Raikou.
You mean like "croup," "soup," "you," "through," and "route"? Just saying. At least they didn't say "rai-cow," "rai-kuh," or "rai-caw," eh?

What really bothers me about it is that I keep thinking that I've heard them pronounce it correctly before. But I don't even remember when that happened, or if it even actually did....

Last edited:

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Kthleen said:
What really bothers me about it is that I keep thinking that I've heard them pronounce it correctly before. But I don't even remember when that happened, or if it even actually did....
They have, in the episode 'For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll'. Morty and Eusine were, if I remember correctly, informing the trio of the legend behind Ho-oh and the three beasts. Granted, I'm not sure which of the two characters said the name, but it was definatly the right pronounciation.

Kamex

Team Rocket's rockin
Kthleen said:
I believe Meowth pronounced it correctly in the Johto League Silver Conference, after James drew that "Raikou Lightning" thing, or something like that.

Anyway, this episode wasn't too special to me. Cool to see Onix again, though.

Squirtle/Phanpy character development.

And... yeah. 7/10.

RaikousThunder

Poison Tail!!
S_P said:

Grovyle's Quick Attack is considered a "counter attack manoeuvre". You dodge the Iron Tail and come back with a quick attack. Theoretically it's not strategically stupid aside from the simple fact that Onix is known for defense. However, for that same reason, Leaf Blade could have been used, I suppose (I mean you jump and then use Leaf Blade)

It doesn't seem like that Beedrill's voice is dubbed. The japanese name is spear, and it sounds exactly the same. I believe it's retained. (If I recall, they used to just have the swarm do a typical bee sound, but this one clearly had the japanese voice sound of Spear.)
What i meant about Quick Attack being stupid was Grovyle banging his head of all things into a giant, living rock snake. Using Quick Attack to dodge is good but dont go slamming heads into boulders. Grovyle and Ash have been around long enough to know that but this is the anime and sometimes or most times they forget important stuff like water conducts electricity and Ground types resist Electric not Rock.

Thank God for hearing the old voices again....seriously.
It was cool to see Onix again and was it just me or did it seem a lot cooler looking than usual? Must be my imagination. :p
Phanpy and Squirtle's faces when the Beedrill appear were priceless. I'm glad Phanpy is back.
Speaking of Beedrill, it's been so long since we've seen them. *sarcasm*
Am I the only one who thinks Squirtle is a boy?
Ugh No comment on Onyx.
I missed James' comment about Raikou, but I pronounce it Rye-Koo. It sounds right to me.
Poor Golem and Graveler got shafted again. :(
Meowth referred to Ash by name. Very unusual.
Grovyle was great in battle. Of course I'd be surprised if it lost to a Pokemon it is 4x strong against.
I give it a 6.5/10

S_P

Soul Trainer
Edward Elric said:
I'm sorry, but that's a load of bull. They KNEW it was spelled Onix and have spelled it that way before, especially during the PokeRap. It's simply a case of them usually bungling up things they don't remember.

Especially since there's absolutely no way one can get "Raikuu" out of Raikou. You'd figure it wouldn't kill them to ask Nintendo or something. o_O

Well the pokerap do they type the name in or do they just implement it?

Because last time I saw THAT pokerap was about eight years ago.

I made a mistae by saying it must have been standard. Your statement of them bungling up things they don't remember is definitely something I'll agree with. I guess I meant to say if they have a misspelling as the new definition from forgetting the old, then it indirectly becomes the standard.

And I don't think they've had a need to actually spell onix in a long, long, long time. When was the last time you actually SAW the word aside from the pokerap? The pokerap is unbelievably old.

A stupid mistake indeed, but at the same time, aside from the pokerap, there almost never had been a need to spell it.

I suppose you could say the cards spell it correctly. Sure it's not the same company but that's another way of text. However, card production has nothing to do with dubbing.

Yeah I know banging the head with Quick Attack is stupid, but the anime has already had a fair share of things like that (um like Pikachu's Iron Tail crashing into a much bigger Iron Tail). I'm ONLY guessing that it was a "showcase of Onix's physical defense". Maybe it lead to an attack simply because it's an attack, even though it was one of the best evasive manoeuvres. Though that can be countered by saying ... "dodge it and use Bullet Seed!" or something.

I guess there is no reasonable way to really accept the really bad mistakes. xP However, apparently physical attacks have been usable on high defense pokemon (say, tackling a Skarmory).

Maybe Quick Attack was there to not make it completely one sided. I don't know, that Onix wasn't that strong.

Oh well, I can't say Onyx was a variation since Phonix has no y.

I mean who knows, maybe it was deliberate. Take the literal definition of Onyx. Isn't that basically what an Onix is? >_> It's a chalcedony, is it not? I mean you could be "hooked on chalcedony, or translucent grayish quartz arranged in slender fibers in parallel bands). Though clearly due to puns, it meant to refer to Onix. Again if they didn't have the need to spell Onix for like eight years or so, then using the actual word as an accidental misspelling if the pokemon name was forgotten doesn't seem too bad, actually.

But this makes me curious to if they actually meant to refer to chalcedony.

Chris

Old Coot
Closed Captioning. They generally have to submit a script necessary to be typed up to appear on screen when the CC appears on screen. Doesn't help that this isn't the first typo in a good while. I believe there's been about four typos in the AG series all together in the dub (Girafarig's "tale" rather than tail, Onix being misspelled twice and "Loose" being used in a title when the word "lose" is being said).

Onix is basically supposed to be a pun off the word "onyx." That's the whole reason they put an I in the Pokemon's name. :|[/SIZE]

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
Ok all you master linguists...how is "Raikou" pronounced phonetically?

Ok..that aside, I liked this episode a lot more knowing the old crew did this after last week's.................experience. Can Phanpy's and Squirtle's reaction to the Beedrill swarm be made into avatars please? I was so glad to see those again. hehe