• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoopa & The Clash of Ages (18)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Overall, this movie felt like exposition and legendaries fighting each other. There seems to be no thought put into this.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Was this the first time Ash commanded Legendary Pokemon?

I think the closest was Pokémon Heroes, but Latias liked him enough that she would've probably done whatever he said and no one would've questioned it.

It still pretty much enforces the Chosen One status, but we're probably not going to get that officially confirmed until the day Ho-oh finally shows up and teams up with Ash. Or until they start making the movies canon to the TV series, which is never going to happen again if the movies themselves aren't going to be consistent with one-another.

U.N. Owen

It still pretty much enforces the Chosen One status, but we're probably not going to get that officially confirmed until the day Ho-oh finally shows up and teams up with Ash. Or until they start making the movies canon to the TV series, which is never going to happen again if the movies themselves aren't going to be consistent with one-another.

The movies are ambiguously canon as Dawn has the lunar wing in DP. Which should have been retconned out of continuity because Arceus's rampage and cause major chaos with time and space didn't happen because of time travel ... Comic books make more sense.

rocky505

Such a shame they didn't let Reshiram, Zekrom and Regigigas in on the final battle. Lugia using Dragon Rush was beautiful though.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I get that Ash is the main character of the Pokémon series, but he shouldn't be hogging all the showtime. The other characters in the group and other smaller characters need a larger role.

This is my issue with the film as well. I thought Ash did too much while his friends mostly watched with panicked facial expressions. ^^;

U.N. Owen

This is my issue with the film as well. I thought Ash did too much while his friends mostly watched with panicked facial expressions. ^^;

Just another way to say Ash is special, everyone else is a prop.

Rio!

Composer
Such a shame they didn't let Reshiram, Zekrom and Regigigas in on the final battle. Lugia using Dragon Rush was beautiful though.
I agree that the animation for Lugia was pretty sweet. Not too certain about Regi, but I guess it would have been too much to cram them in side by side with Kyurem who flipped between Kyurem B/W the whole time he was present.

They knew they made Lugia too badass.

So they disposed of it immediately. They knew it was doing TOO well by being the only Legendary inflicting real damage to the evil genie.

-Okay I had wondered wth had happened with Lugia. I guess it wasn't Mega Dragon'd enough, pfft. I'm also wondering how Ash managed to know what the three's move-sets were without checking? Especially when it isn't exactly shown he's seen them mega-evolve in the past, let alone interacting with them as though he's that familiar with them. Also, is there more than one Rayquaza or what? How/why did he become shiny? Did the producers forget about Lugia entirely? (it's the closest we're going to get to Ash having mega-evolved, powerful Dragons I guess).

-Were there people in those buildings Unbound Hoopa and Co. kept destroying and how have these people NOT evacuated much sooner given that titanic-sized monsters are wreaking havoc in a city, of all places? It seems like this should be a requirement for cities at this point. At least there were people present as opposed to the Sword of Justice Movie where everyone except main characters seemed to have disappeared when the fighting started.

-How is it that Palkia and Dialga weren't able to do anything when the time/space rift got to acting up? At least they would have had a chance to shine a bit but nooo. I also find it weird that the legendaries in general got mind-controlled so dang easily. No resistance what so ever. Nada.

-I also didn't care for all that much how Unbound 'going bad' seemed to brush off the fact that the ancient people seemed to keep encouraging battles with an otherwise benevolent entity.

-Something else bugged me was the background music. It sounded like a really generic, 'Arabian-like' music that kept getting used at certain points. Yeesh.

I also found Groudon kind of funny at the end. Clearly, he isn't exactly able to levitate back to his domain, so he's just slowing stomping back to Hoenn. x)

However, I did enjoy the special effects at least. It was also nice to have a Pokemon physically talk instead of just psychic chitter-chatter. I do wonder sometimes how producers decide which ones have some form of communicating with humans while others do not? For instance Kyurem vs Zekrom/Reshiram, none of the Hoenn Trio, Xerneas vs Yveltal, etc. That last one especially bothers me though but I won't get into it, otherwise I'll keep droning on. xD

U.N. Owen

Don't get me started on Arceus. In the games, it once destroyed the universe and remade it just to bring some random trainer an egg. Here, it was a glorified cameo.

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
May and Max were memorable favorites among alot of fans of the series, me more of May. Ash's Trio here are too bland, boring and soon forgetful this generation. Which is why Ash's former from the AG, BW or even the Kanto days would've been better in this movie then the current, IMO

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
May and Max were memorable favorites among alot of fans of the series, me more of May. Ash's Trio here are too bland, boring and soon forgetful this generation. Which is why Ash's former from the AG, BW or even the Kanto days would've been better in this movie then the current, IMO

The BW Trio? They were more annoying as things went on than just being forgetful. Only the Kanto Trio and the AG Quartet were done well (except for maybe Max).

G4Pokefan

THE AURA IS WITH ME
-How is it that Palkia and Dialga weren't able to do anything when the time/space rift got to acting up? At least they would have had a chance to shine a bit but nooo. I also find it weird that the legendaries in general got mind-controlled so dang easily. No resistance what so ever. Nada.

Those are the points that will always bother me from here on out.

And don't get me started on the dialogue:

(Lugia appears) Ash: "Lugia! Help us out okay?"

SMFH. Could've been more on the lines like: Ash: "I don't believe it! It's Lugia!" That would've been more politically correct.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

Makes sense I guess. I was mostly nitpicking any ways cuz this film was pretty solid aside from that. I wish he had stayed possessed longer tho. :)

ArtFenix

Just watched the movie and I must say that I quite enjoyed it! Did I expect something better? Oh yeah, I expected a lot more but still what I got was quite entertaining, even if it could've been much better. At least there was more legendary showcase (not enough, still, but more) than in Yveltal movie. That one disappointed me.
The story was nice and Hoopa is a really likeable character. The animation was top-notch as always! Lugia was total badass xD. I wonder why Hoopa didn't just re-summon it again. Kyurem getting his revenge on Primal Groudon for accidentally attacking it was a nice little touch! Loved the arabic music! xD And I dunno, but I didn't find the ending rushed or lazy. It was just a typical deus ex machina but after reading the comments here I expected it to be much worse. It was alright. Looking forward to watching it again on bluray and looking forward to the next movie too!:)

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
This movie was really good with the Legendaries, there was just so many that appeared but kind of disappointed that Arceus didn't recognise Ash, which is probably a different Arceus. Hoopa was quite good, even in Unbound and its fascination with donuts had a fairly obvious reason. But the plot was kind of derailed because of the showcase of so much Legendaries, otherwise, it was good.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
This movie was really good with the Legendaries, there was just so many that appeared but kind of disappointed that Arceus didn't recognise Ash, which is probably a different Arceus. Hoopa was quite good, even in Unbound and its fascination with donuts had a fairly obvious reason. But the plot was kind of derailed because of the showcase of so much Legendaries, otherwise, it was good.

I still think it's the same Arceus. Since there was no direct interaction between the two, there's no proof one way or another, so I would assume it's the same, since Arceus' lore only allows for one to exist.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I still think it's the same Arceus. Since there was no direct interaction between the two, there's no proof one way or another, so I would assume it's the same, since Arceus' lore only allows for one to exist.

Or otherwise, it didn't have the time to recognise Ash or simply didn't notice him.Though Giratina also appeared but this time, it didn't seem to care much about Ash at all.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

If it was the same one I just think it would've acknowledged Ash's presence by speaking with him however instead of basically ignoring him tho. ^^

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
If it was the same one I just think it would've acknowledged Ash's presence by speaking with him however instead of basically ignoring him tho. ^^

Well, I'm sure that Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina were the same ones too. I think they just didn't do it to not confuse the kiddies.