• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoopa & The Clash of Ages (18)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Hoopa & The Clash of Ages

One hundred years ago, the desert city "Désser City" got severely damaged in a battle between Pokémon. The battle was started due to one specific Pokémon. However, the Pokémon got sealed by someone, and the city went back to being as peaceful as ever, a state it still is in today.

As Ash, Pikachu and the others continue their journey, they encounter the mythical Pokémon Hoopa, who carries "rings that can summon anything and everything", and a girl named Mary who takes care of Hoopa. The mischievous Hoopa starts summoning all kinds of things from its rings, including its favorite food, donuts, to everyone's surprise and enjoyment.

Ever a prankster, the simple-minded and innocent Hoopa starts referring to Ash and Pikachu as "Saton" and "Pikan". It quickly befriends the group, and they all decide to travel together. Once they arrive in Désser City, Ash and the others meet Mary's older brother, Barza.

However, something seems off about him. On a closer look, he's holding the "Prison Bottle" that's said to have sealed the Pokémon that once destroyed the city! An evil air drifts out of the bottle, eventually turning into a huge shadow. The shadow gradually becomes visible; It is Hoopa's original "Unbound Form": "Super Hoopa"!

The Pokémon that went on a rampage 100 years ago was Super Hoopa! Hoopa's original power got sealed in the bottle, but over this long period of time, this immense power has changed into "Rage" and ultimately got reborn as the shadowy Super Hoopa.

The unbound Hoopa goes on a rampage, calling forth legendary Pokémon from its 6 rings! Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina and Kyurem... This will put the city in extreme danger. In order to protect the city, Hoopa makes more legendary Pokémon "Appear!" from its rings!

This truly is "Legend VS Legend"! A battle that tears the earth to shreds, splits the sea and even distorts space! Will Ash and his friends manage to protect Désser City alongside the legendary Pokémon Hoopa made "Appear!"? And how will the fight between Hoopa and Super Hoopa end!? The most fierce battle in Pokémon movie history is about to begin!

Visit The Movie Guide

Discuss

(Note: This thread is not for speculation. If you haven't seen the movie yourself, limit your posts to direct replies to reports from those who have.)

I knew it meant something different ;) I was being deeply ironic. Joe cleared it up for me. Still can't believe there are 18 movies. I collected several of them starting with "The Power of One". I reckon "Spell of the Unown" is my favorite because it had a tragic plot. You don't get much of that with the series.

deafcat

I don't know where to put this but according to my Bell TV (Satellite) guide, for Channel 1653 (Teletoon High Definition)

Hoopa and the Clash of Ages will air on November 14th at 10:15am.

I don't know if it's the same date as the United States as Canada's a week ahead in episodes.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
just saw the dubbed movie today on TV, it was rather underwhelming. it did have a lot of action and i got to see a few legendries i like but the sheer amount they included was a bit too much. if they cut down on it by a few less then id think the plot would've been less driven by showcasing legendaries. it would've left more room for a good storyline in the movie.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
just saw the dubbed movie today on TV, it was rather underwhelming. it did have a lot of action and i got to see a few legendries i like but the sheer amount they included was a bit too much. if they cut down on it by a few less then id think the plot would've been less driven by showcasing legendaries. it would've left more room for a good storyline in the movie.

Showcasing many Legendaries was the gimmick of this film though: Yes the plot suffered as a result, but that was the price for the other shenanigans unfortunately.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
Showcasing many Legendaries was the gimmick of this film though: Yes the plot suffered as a result, but that was the price for the other shenanigans unfortunately.

i got that feeling rather early on in the movie, especially 2/3 in when they got the upgrades. i understand the point to test the strength VS legendaries but focusing a a few select would've done better. take the Keldeo movie, there were just enough legendaries to be just right. that point aside the hoopa movie wont rank too high on the list of the movies that i saw. hoopa's talking was fine though the voice did irk me a bit. id give the movie a 5-6/10 at best for focusing on the gimmicks. lol this movie's premises does remind me of a heavy metal's group song.

P_S_B

Shiny hunter
Since it's aired, anyone get the list of voice actors? And maybe confirmation of the correct spelling of Mary's dub name/Ghris's dub name in general via subtitles?

I wasn't able to watch with subtitles, but I do have a screenshot of the voice actors taken from Youtube. I'm fairly sure now that Mary's dub name is Miray. That's how she pronounces it, and that apparently is a name found in the region where the film draws its inspiration.

L0Elguf.png

deafcat

One thing I found weird.

No version of Be A Hero.

Aren't the long versions of the openings in the movie that season is based in

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I wasn't able to watch with subtitles, but I do have a screenshot of the voice actors taken from Youtube. I'm fairly sure now that Mary's dub name is Miray. That's how she pronounces it, and that apparently is a name found in the region where the film draws its inspiration.

L0Elguf.png

Thank you.

After watching it, I reason that Jake Paque is Ghris. Wayne Grayson was very obviously Baraz, and if I had to take a guess on Miray's, I'd pick Kate Bristol.

A lot of those actors' names I don't even have any clue who they are, an unusually high number for one of these movies. I can't even figure out all the characters that were even in this that they could have played.

P_S_B

Shiny hunter
Thank you.

After watching it, I reason that Jake Paque is Ghris. Wayne Grayson was very obviously Baraz, and if I had to take a guess on Miray's, I'd pick Kate Bristol.

A lot of those actors' names I don't even have any clue who they are, an unusually high number for one of these movies. I can't even figure out all the characters that were even in this that they could have played.

Miray may not be Kate Bristol. Here's the list for the Hoopa short, and she's not on it. Then again neither is Wayne Grayson, so how accurate this list is is debatable.
E8iZRxB.png

Alola Adventurer

One thing I found weird.

No version of Be A Hero.

Aren't the long versions of the openings in the movie that season is based in

Yes, but that's usually only if the Japanese version of the film uses a longer version of the current Japanese opening that is running, during the release of the film.
Since there wasn't a longer version of Getta Ban Ban in the Japanese version of Movie 18, there wasn't a longer version of Be a Hero in the English Dub.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Is it just me, or was there some skipping around?

Are we really that surprised the plot's weak, shoved to the side for all sorts of nearly-unrelated but gimmicky Legendary Pokémon battles? Also I know that continuity is not a thing when it comes to the movies, and it might have been unintentional and I'm just looking way too hard into it, but the shout-outs just came off almost like "Hey, hey, remember these from previous movies? We still remember!" It also makes Ash more of a blatant Chosen One than before, especially with him ordering Legendaries to attack, and I don't think that's a good thing. Maybe I wouldn't have minded so much if the Latios and Latias (her specifically) were the exact same ones from the fifth movie (Latios would either be the father that arrived to Alto Mare at the end of that movie, or a grown up baby Latios from the same scene). Shiny Rayquaza still makes me go "Wait huh?", but whatever.

When it comes to Hoopa, wasn't he just acting a bit like a little… well, big sh*t? Its pranks are a bit too dickish to just be considered childish, and before the exposition at the mid-way point, the beginning came off that way as well, and the townspeople going along with it at first was weird. I suppose the voice fits, and I have no complains for the voice actress (and actor) who was Hoopa, but the character as a whole only became tolerable by the end, a step up from Shaymin and thus saved him from being annoying, but not close to being a favorite. It's helped that Unbound Hoopa was actually pretty cool and probably also had the best voice-acting (was the one voice that didn't make me cringe at least once, like did the dub quality take a dip from the last film?). Too bad he doesn't do much, he just lets all of the other summoned Legendaries do stuff that he should've been doing. I feel a little gypped we didn't get to see more of him outside of the power of his hoops, because he came off as legitimately threatening (or at least terrifying), and could've made for some good perilous moments.

I kind of remember the movie-only characters from the prologue prequel, but I didn't mind them that much there (probably because they were kids), meanwhile here, I find them dull. At least they did stuff that was sorely missed from previous films, but I'm going to forget their names and faces soon, so I'm not going to miss them. Also holy crap, Team Rocket did something for once, even if it was just to move the plot along, and then stayed mostly quiet the rest of the film. Guess I'll take that over "stupid Team Rocket plot" any day.

Oh, and I hate to be that guy, but bad CGI is bad. Not all of it was terrible, but things like Team Rocket's Meowth balloon and the POV scenes with Mega Latios and Latias flying around was noticeably bad. Just ew. I'm also sad that outside of Unbound Hoopa, the animation felt a little lackluster. Nothing about it sticks out to me, not even the backgrounds this time around. And that should not be.

I'm just disappointed, and I'm not sure whether it's because this was by a new screenwriter, it suffered from too much gimmicks, or because I'm comparing it to the previous film that I liked better. I could also just be being "too unfair" or "harsh" to a kids' film for daring to expect more out of it. Either way, Hoopa was no Diancie, and I had no high expectations for this one to begin with, and yet it didn't even excel, let alone hit that expectation. And I didn't even think up of any questions this time around to try and make sense of everything about the movie. There's probably a few, I just don't care enough to think of them.

This was just a "Yeah, it exists," movie.

Xuxuba

Much better than any BW and DP movie that's for sure. It's not the best movie in the world, but there is only so much you can do with a 1 hour long movie.

Also for the first time in forever they actually created movie exclusive characters who weren't boring and annoying.

Buizel97

Pokemon Champion
This movie wasnt that good to me it felt rushed and didnt really live up to the hype it had imo Personally i had high hopes for the kalos movies but they have not been that enjoyable to me. The last movie i enjoyed was the Zoroark movie and parts of the keldeo movie