• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoopa & The Clash of Ages (18)

LizardonX

Banned
Palkia was the one who fixed it all in the 10th movie too.

They probably realized that they forgot to put Arceus in the movie despite using it in marketing so much so it ended up being something only Arceus could fix because reasons.

diakyu

Also while not a problem, when creating the new bottle it seems they forgot how Braixen and Frogadier use their moves and that Bunnelby exists lol.

JudySpell

Banned
I had heard bad things about this movie but after seeing it, I liked it. Hoopa was funny and I liked seeing the melee between all the Legendarys. 7/10

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
So was the Arceus here the same one from Movie 12?

I can't remember of the lore in the anime stated it was a being that is responsible for the universe being created. If there is more than one Arceus, then there must be more than one universe.

zdbz_sn

…HOLY ****!

Remember that part where Hoopa’s all "HYAH!" But then Lugia’s like, "SQUAW!" And the Legendaries go, "SWOOYA!"

It was so…eh, what’s that? The plot? Oh, right - this is a review. Well, er - this film may have the slightest plot of any of the pokefilms. It’s really not much more than an excuse for the different generations of Legendaries to start clashing. And if it’s the slightest, it’s also the most confusing - I have no idea what’s up with Hoopa’s power. The CotDs are prominent but boring, the travelling companions are wasted, and Ash is once again little more than a deus ex machina. If this Lugia is the same one from Movie 2 (and I assume it’s supposed to be, with all the cameos), it makes no sense that it can’t talk. And it seems a shame that not all the Legendaries/Mythical ones are represented; a rather arbitrary cut-off of generations went on here.

But what about when the whole group comes together like "WHAM!"

It’s just…it’s just…oh my God, it’s so ****ing cool!

(But seriously - I may have been overhyped for this one. It wasn’t the all-out, kaiju-style brawl I had been led to expect by the clips I’d seen and the blurbs I’d read. But when it does get cool, crazy, or just plain fun, it really goes all out. While Kyurem tried, this is the first of these films since Lucario to feel like has a truly cinematic scope, with its crazy airborne city-set battles. And with so many of these movies being padded like mad, it’s nice to have one zip by at a snappy pace. For sheer entertainment value, it’s up there on the list.

A few things worth noting:

- Oh my God - Team Rocket actually mattered to the plot!

- I will never understand why the staff felt that every movie after the first few needed to take a few minutes to explain the world of Pokemon. Who’s watching these flicks without at least a cursory knowledge of the franchise?

- Kind of touched on this already, but - compared to most of these movies, this one gets going really fast. They waste, like, no time in getting Hoopa to hook up with Ash and friends, and it keeps up a pretty breakneck pace. On the other hand, it does take a while for the cool stuff to start happening.

- Given the XY/Z series’ reputation for being rather humorless, this one’s actually a lot of fun. Hoopa’s got a nice, goofy shtick going on.

- TCPi gave Advanced-Stage Hoopa a really dumb-sounding voice. It’s like if the Hulk lost 120 I.Q. points.

- I don't like TCPi's dub for the most part, but the Ash voice used by Sarah Natochenny is excellent. It’s believable coming out of that face, and the performance itself is solid. I will never not prefer Veronica Taylor, but nostalgia and personal bias play a large role in that. Rachel Lillis’ replacement as Jessie is also acceptable - the only member of the TRio I can say that about. The Kalos Crew’s voices are all terrible though. And they should’ve all had French accents. All the Kalos populace should’ve had French accents!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I used to feel sympathetic towards Hoopa, because it being sealed in the Jar of Binding seemed cruel. Yet thinking back, it almost destroyed Désert City in the past when it went overboard summoning Legendary Pokemon in the city. So even though I still feel bad for Hoopa's confinement, I can't completely fault Ghris for trapping Hoopa inside the Jar of Binding.

Alloutℯ

Banned
When I saw Latios and the other Legendary Pokemon get summoned, I was on cloud nine. Every little fight scene was perfect and I was just confused about whether the Arceus Ash saw was the one from Michina Town.

Minuy600

Eon Fan
I was not on the same cloud nine. Seeing as I care about the personality and traits of a Pokémon besides just the moves they use, I found that the movie sucked. Hoopa was okay and I guess the pacing was decent but damn it just is very boring to see every legendary just get thrown onto a pile and kinda fight a bunch. It especially hurts for Pokémon that actually were nice to Ash and others before, like the eon duo. What happened to the smiley dragons? Why are they just Dragon Plusing everyone without too much of a reason besides 'welp guess we're fighting now because we got summoned'? Sorry but I strongly dislike this one, it ruins the concept of friendship and was purely meant as a 'cool' filler with lots of flashy effects.

Leonhart

Imagineer
What happened to the smiley dragons? Why are they just Dragon Plusing everyone without too much of a reason besides 'welp guess we're fighting now because we got summoned'? Sorry but I strongly dislike this one, it ruins the concept of friendship and was purely meant as a 'cool' filler with lots of flashy effects.

The fighting between the Legendary Pokemon did seem random, although I want to believe that they were all just irritable about having been summoned to a far off land away from their homes.

Minuy600

Eon Fan
Meh, it still doesn't feel right to see them fight so hard without much of a thought behind it. 'Irritated' does not equal 'agressive'. I could say their Mega Forms reduce their huge intellegence but ain't that a bit lopsided?

This movie was really cool and I found it funny how Hoopa said his name at the start of every other sentence and how he likes donuts as much as cops do. I enjoyed this movie because it felt alot more action heavy than the Diancie movie, but I'm surprised there was no human antagonist. Ash was really cool when it came to how he helped in the climax though.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
I enjoyed this movie because it felt alot more action heavy than the Diancie movie, but I'm surprised there was no human antagonist.

It was refreshing to see no major human villain present here since the chaos that Hoopa inadvertently caused was entertaining enough as an obstacle from my vantage point.

04n70n10

The fighting between the Legendary Pokemon did seem random, although I want to believe that they were all just irritable about having been summoned to a far off land away from their homes.

Hoopa unbound "directly controlled" in some way these legendaries. Indeed they all have red eyes if I remember correctly. Yep, It's a bit "hidden" this thing, not well explained.