• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Horror games CAN be scary in third person...

Delibird

A common misconception is that survival horror games suck because of the change from fixed camera angles to over the shoulder, which is typically used for bombastic action games with horror elements from about 2005 onwards.

However, I think there's still very scary and atmospheric games that are made in third person. I mean, just look at The Evil Within 2, or The Last of Us. They're scarier than any of the recent Resident Evil titles, in my opinion, and they are still heavy on the action while being very eerie and intense.

I'm not particularly daft on the first person perspective that many modern day horror games have, but I mean, it sometimes makes you seem like you're actually that character, walking around. So it's unique. Although those type of games often involve no combat. You normally have to hide, or flee, which I'm not keen on. But these games often have you playing as a normal person with no real machoness, which is ideally how I like my horror games to be.

Hazys

I'm sorry but I don't think The Evil Within 2 and The Last of Us are scary. They're generic third-person shooters with crafting stuff. The more control (over the camera) and power (over the environment) you give to the player, the less "tense" a game is. A game can be spooky, but if it's not tense, it's very hard for it to be scary.

Horror games are designed to be scary and they are usually more effective when played in the first person. This is because the first-person perspective allows for a more immersive experience which can make the game feel more real. About Silent Hill. I played for a while Silent Hill 2. As said in the Detailed analysis of silent hill - "Gameplay in SH2 revolves around a mixture of puzzle solving and simple combat. As the main protagonist progresses through the town of Silent Hill, he must fight various monsters using a variety of weapons" and "the strength of Silent Hill 2 lies in its ability to tell a compelling and intriguing story while successfully evoking a palpably uneasy atmosphere". I don't know... While playing this game - I don't feel as much tension and horror as I expected. However, horror games can still be scary in the third person. This is because the third-person perspective gives the player a more birds eye view of the game which can make it easier to see what is happening around them. Additionally, the third-person perspective can often make the player feel more vulnerable as they are not able to see everything that is happening. As a result, horror games can still be frightening even when they are played in the third person.

Last edited:

Delibird

Last night, Konami revealed like a thousand new Silent Hill games. No word of lie! :p

One has a cherry blossom leaves covered woman. Another is an actual remake of the second game. An interactive series was another title they brought up, and then they spoke of something that's reportedly going to be episodic. Plus, a third movie is in development.

A leaker on Twitter ("Dusk Golem") said other games are planned as well. How nice! ;)

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I played Resident Evil 7 Biohazard and all i can say is, First Person View doesn't fit for horror all games. In first person games it's difficult to determine where you are since you gave no reticle to show what you are aiming at when you don't have a gun reticle like a pistol in Call of Duty.

In RE7 It's also impossible to run to outrun Jack who stalks you way too often and even he has puzzles= Most beginners can't guess that when you leave the kitchen and spot Jack in the hallway you are supposed to lure him into the Television room and get him to break the small table inside.

Last edited: