• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Horror Manga & Anime Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Discuss the horror genre of manga, anime, manhwa etc.

So one of the most criticized overdone tropes in the horror genre are jump scares. A lot of people claim jump scares are just not scary these days and I say to that, have you ever read the manhwa, Horang's Nightmare? I dare you to read it if you think jumpscares aren't scary anymore. I used to be one of those people that claim jump scares are a tired old trope until I read Horang's Nightmare which is a free digital manhwa that makes creative suspenseful use of it's digital scrolling format and a creative use of 3D animations, yes animations in a comic, where some scenes appear to be drawn in 2D but are actually 3D animations in disguise. This leads to some genuine tense jumpscares and some readers have even claim you will see details that other readers haven't notice on the first read, that you think to yourself "am I going crazy?". If you read the manhwa backwards on certain chapters, you will be able to see what other readers claim they've seen which is crazy to be honest.

So yeah. Even people who claim to find jumpscares to be a tired old trope, have admitted their heart skipped a beat when scrolling down further. I know I certainly have, I was one of those people. So if you think jumpscares are an tired excuse of a trope, I dare you to read Horang's Nightmare and tell me your heart didn't skip a beat.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I just want to say that Higurashi Gou is garbage for disrespecting the series with its uncomfortable fascination with gore instead of the consequences of murder, and retconning Rika's character arc all while originally passing it off as a complete remake to trick fans and newcomers alike. I don't care that R07 is the one behind the script, Passione is just as bad as DEEN focusing on the wrong details, and they picked a director who has no experience in the horror/mystery genre let alone knows how to bring good tension.

Alonso1121

Ghost Hunt, Tokyo Ghoul, Death Note and Blue Exorcist ha? Well, I only watched Tokyo Ghoul but...... Here are the ones I really loved, can't guarantee not having nightmares for most of them though xb

Ushio to Tora: this week is going to be the last episode of this one, it starts off slow in plot, just a guy busting up some "youkai" (Japanese for monsters) around Japan, but it gets really REALLY good further down.

Hunter x Hunter: it starts off normal just like any other awesome anime, but then a certain arc begins, and the feels and goosebumps and creeps begin >_> it is gory, but not that gory, it's another level of gore when the feels get involved x\

Fate/Zero and after it Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works by Ufotable: you should definitely watch them, these two are AMAZING!! No nightmares I promise ;P

One Punch Man: last episode is this week too, don't really know how to describe this, I just know that this is the first anime series where I liked the main character MORE than any side character! Every other anime has the main character on their journey to becoming strong and stuff WITH a side character that is miles more aweseome than the main one so........ I guess it's definitely a good sign xb

Seirei no Moribito: can't get enough of recommending this one, it's very underrated, unlike the previous ones, the story focuses on a woman called Balsa Yonsa...... Is all I'll say ^^; really though, it's an adventure and supernatural plot so...... That's enough right? xD

Zetsuen no Tempest: Magic, mind effs, psychological, mind effs and, oh, let's not forget mind effs, what more is needed?

shingek no Kyojin (aka Attack on Titan): I said it once and I'll say it again, sometimes "overhyped" is for a good reason ;)

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: this thing...... Oooh this thing is one brilliant peice of an anime, it has everything, action, comedy, feels, mystery, more feels, supernatural etc. etc. you name it, It's one of the big good ones out there, I really recommend it!

Those are a lot already, so good for you if you do get through all of them 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.