• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hot Springing a Leak (531)

just wondering what in chimchar meant to evolve?

This is what makes me dislike Serebii forums.

Now onto the episode, it was just..decent. Kinoshita animation and butchered (lower volume) bgm is the cause of that. God, when are they gonna stop lowering the volume on the jap bgm?

thunderblade12

The dub was much better than I expected..the only problems I have with it is the little rhyme TR said as they were blasting off and the generic-filler-girl-voice of Leona. LEona might just be a filler character but shes probably one of most important ones in DP(the other being Reiji) she actually had a connection to Dawn.

sweet_piplup123

I lost the game?!?!
Yeah the episode is good,especially when Jessie went semi-nude.:)

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
A great plot and awesome Team Rocket saying and scenes:
What I liked most was this confrontation between Ash and Co. and Team Rocket, first as workers when they told their "dramatic" story about the search for the hot spring and second when they used all that juristic vocabulary! Great! And not to forget that there was one of their famous visions of Giovanni again which at the same time I consider one of the most hilarious and best!

But unfortunately I´m also discontented:
The battle at the end made Ash, Chimchar and Brock look really bad!!!
Alfonso is right, saying:
Grrrr. Yet another cop-out from the writers to have a battle between Dawn and two experienced trainers, have her do well and get confidence but to end it so it doesn't make Ash and Brock look bad. Ash wasn't doing too well in this battle iirc, he needs to train Chimchar a little more because he starts using it properly. I don't know, it just seemed like a rather lacksure performance for a supposed experienced trainer against two newbs.
Man, Dawn and Liona may be a good Team but Ash and Brock have been a team for ages, they simply HAVE TO be better! Furthermore: Chimchar should have been able to melt the ice with his flame with EASE! I can´t understand why the writers allowed this promising battle to be quitted as a tie. I hasn´t decided yet at all!
What do you think about it?
I felt a bit dejected after this.

Thanks God, the great plot makes up for this failed battle!

6 out of 10 points!

Last edited:

Kaasuti

MegaKaasutizard
Hmmm this episode was a tad bit boring, even with the decent vocabulary going on, and yes like many others on this forum i was annoyed with the battle at the end, all four pokemon freezing wth?? Plus Fire<ice.....what happened there?

Kuroshi

This was a good episode. Leona was not so bad for a filler character.
Team Rocket was pretty funny in this episode. I especially liked the courtroom theme in their conversation with Leona over the springs.

The double battle was a good way to spice up the episode before the end.
Darm must be pretty embarrassed over the reason her friends call her DeeDee, she almost drowned her friend just to keep it secret.

Overall, this was a good episode.

dman_dustin

Man, Dawn and Liona may be a good Team but Ash and Brock have been a team for ages, they simply HAVE TO be better! Furthermore: Chimchar should have been able to melt the ice with his flame with EASE! I can´t understand why the writers allowed this promising battle to be quitted as a tie. I hasn´t decided yet at all!
What do you think about it?
I felt a bit dejected after this.

Thanks God, the great plot makes up for this failed battle!

6 out of 10 points!

I don't think the purpose of the battle was to have a winner, just pass the time so they can soak in the hot spring when Leona's father fixed the pipe.

As for Chimchar it just wasn't simply ice, Chimchar froze because of cold temperatures in general (two Pokemon using blizzard, the strongest ice type move), now if I remember correctly fire types Pokemon can still be frozen in the games unless they have Magma Armor.

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
This episode was on par with its Johto equivalent. The battle didn't even do much for me. It just reminded me how much of a waste Ash getting Chimchar seems to have been.

ash_forever

Greatest Hero
I don't think the purpose of the battle was to have a winner, just pass the time so they can soak in the hot spring when Leona's father fixed the pipe.

As for Chimchar it just wasn't simply ice, Chimchar froze because of cold temperatures in general (two Pokemon using blizzard, the strongest ice type move), now if I remember correctly fire types Pokemon can still be frozen in the games unless they have Magma Armor.

Considering your first argument, I have to agree ,especially after I´ve watched this episode for the second time. I´m quite convinced there wasn´t meant to be a clear winner. Anyways, we´ll just have to like it or lump it!

But I disagree with you when it comes to your second argument:
During Ash´s battle in the Battle Factory with Charizard against Articuno, it was stated that ice-type didn´t do any damage to fire -type Pokemon! Well, whereas this again contradicts the Orange episode when a Poliwrath actually froze Charizard...hmmm, weird..

Nevertheless, a great episode which ,apart from the weird battle, was again a pleasure to watch !

Last edited:

HoennMaster

I think this proves that some stupid filler episodes (Bibarel and this one come to mind) are somewhat better when you see them. However, I do think this one is better then the Johto one.

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
I think this proves that some stupid filler episodes (Bibarel and this one come to mind) are somewhat better when you see them. However, I do think this one is better then the Johto one.

I find this episode was far from boring. It's nothing compared to the Bibarel and Probopass one, which are definitely the worst fillers so far in this region.

chim-chat078

I <3 Maya Fey
*yawn* is it just me or has the dubed pokemon anime become really 2 year ol- *falls asleep on keboard* ............................................................................................
whaa!! oh as i was saying thats why i stick to the subtitley goodness of the japanese version!!!!!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I find this episode was far from boring. It's nothing compared to the Bibarel and Probopass one, which are definitely the worst fillers so far in this region.

The episode with the cake making Pikachu from early DP was by far the worst filler so far this saga.

God that episode sucked.

I loved this episode--truth be told--only because I think Swinub are so kawaii~

Drifloon_Soul

Carpe Trachea
umm the whole jessie topless thing scared me out of the rest of the episoce

lightdash

Dawn and May fan
The episode with the cake making Pikachu from early DP was by far the worst filler so far this saga.

God that episode sucked.
Well, to me it was bad, but it wasn't boring to say the least. Yes, it is one of those bad fillers, but it isn't near to the "worst" category.