• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How 2010s ruined Pokemon anime fanbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashton Ketchum

Heisei era in Japan now is over. With which, we will move on to the next decade. And I think it's time to talk about...
HOW 2010s RUINED POKEMON ANIME FANBASE!
Not long ago, i find out how the anime fan base is now similar to the Star Wars fan base. In bad sense. Because, Star Wars have worst fanbase ever existed. And today we will talk about how suitable by the end of the 2010s brought it to this. Here we have in mind not the anime itself and its Sagas in this decade, whatever they might be. This refers to the fanbase of the anime itself, and how different parts of this base accepted certain Sagas. And the 2010s are similar to the times of the Star Wars prequels (and The Last Jedi), and Sonic games after the classic era (and especially since the late 2000s). At times, which both fanbases have irrevocably messed up, who now hate each other and fight each other. And the anime is not very far from them. Let's start from far away.
The end of the 20th century, and the beginning of the franchise procession around the planet. All fell in love with Pokemon, strong love. All the fans were friends with each other. And everything was fine.
2000s. Everything went and developed. But here began discontent between the fans. Because of the obvious - leaving Misty, and the arrival of a replacement for May (and later her on Dawn). Of course, there were complaints about the reset of the experience of Ash and his team (though not as flawed as in the future), and all sorts of minor roughness of the subsequent Sagas. But, it was more gall because of the departure of Misty. However, everything was still fine. Hoenn and Sinnoh moved the anime forward, Ash developed morally, and Poke Shippers held faith in the future for Ash and Misty (and his relationship with May and Dawn did not go far, and were friendly). And the fanbase was still good.
And then came the 2010th, and everything began to go at the seams. It began with the final of Saga in Sinnoh, which until this final was similar to the final of the story of our hero. And then on those - the anti-piano in the bushes in the face of Tobias, Ash lost, and most fans in fierce rage. It would seem that how much to infuriate them? And here…
Black and White - I think no need to go deep into the causes of the negative that has arisen. Is that briefly - the ash experience of Ash, the loud faces in the first series, the unused full potential of the new games, the primitive laws for the old seasons (when trying to bring a new one at the same time), the weakest films in the franchise (especially the dumb 15th anniversary movie), stupid League, well, and Iris. And I’m not talking about the original plans of the creators with Team Rocket and Zekrom (which deprived Pikachu of strength - because), which may have suffered from the infamous earthquake in Fukushima, due to which two series were canceled and thrown out of the canon Team Plasma. Yeah, against this Saga were not only half the fans, but even nature itself. That is, in part, the creators are not to blame for what happened, it just happened. But nevertheless, these punctures with Zekrom and Team Rocket are no less meaningless things, like the line of GS Ball. And yet - the other half of fans accepted the local updates. And the new design of Sister Joy and officer Jenny, the role of Team Rocket in the plot, even Iris (yes, there are such people), and so on (among them Oshawott
smile.gif
). What became the focus for the beginning of the end of harmony in the fandom. But then it was trenchant. Yes, and Unova on the compare of Alola - at least keeps himself in hand.
XY(Z) - many fans favorite and idolized Saga. Everything returned to its place (as well as the experience and development of Ash), innovations work better, and anime has reached a new level. It would seem - in the fan base because of this, everything should be fine again. But - even many of the favorite works there are dissatisfied. Which, in this case, called saga overrated. And these people run into many things here. On local Ash, on Greninja (yes, there are such people), serious tone, and on Serena. And among these people are not only fans of previous companions. And any criticism of the fans of the saga is not reacted very friendly, saying something like, "How dare you?!". Not for nothing I mentioned earlier Sonic. Because - in the days of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, religious fans of the classical era also scolded a progressive serious tone. And as in the case of Sinnoh, many were convinced that this Saga would be a well-deserved finale of Ash's story. But here - a loss in the League of Kalos, and exploded so that the limits of the fandom affected. Anger and whining was in bulk. And this was only a prelude before an even bigger explosion, which caused an even greater split...
Sun and Moon - Kalos saga did not have time to reach the full end, and the fans moved away from the outcome of the League, as there was an even stronger negative explosion outside the fandom. A full announcement of the current saga. And it was not only the absence of Serena and the detailed drawing. But in the announcement that after the most serious saga, there will be an acid comedy, most of the action will take place at school (I still think this idea is very stupid). And half of fans before the premiere called a new saga a failure. Well, after the premiere, fans split into two fronts (and there is a third - neutral). And some immediately hated (and some of them continue to hate) for killing key aspects of the franchise (regular battles and adventures), eerie antics (for which this saga should have received a rating R) and so on, which made the first half almost negligible (for haters). While others have warmly accepted for how this saga is trying to bring a new (albeit so radically), smoother animation (not style), more experienced than in Unova Ash (one of the things SM did better than BW), references to the original seasons, and of course - the return of Misty and Brock. Well, and so on. SM has a lot of things for which you can love, and those for which you can hate. And being the most controversial saga, it is the apogee of conflicts between fans and fans, to which everything has come during this decade.
That was such a hard year for this decade. It had a lot of good and not so good. And after it - the Pokemon anime fan base will never be the same. Some will put forward their opinions, the second to argue with them, others to impose their opinions on everyone, and the fourth to keep neutrality. Some will demand one thing, the second another, and third others will enjoy what they have. I do not know what will happen next year and next decade. And I do not know what will happen to the anime and fanbase in the future. But I want the 2010s to end beautifully with the beginning of the eighth generation, from which many, if not all, will be delighted. And in the next decade, this generation, as well as the next, will more often delight, and rarely cause more disputes and conflicts in the fandom. I do not expect an perfection from the future, since I will tell one truth - PERFECTION IS THE MYTH. I'm just waiting for our anime to move forward further and further, more fun, less no fun, and (at least relative) harmony in the fan base. We will pray for the best.

VoltTacklingPika

Such is the inevitability of a large fandom. It's impossible to have a massive group without fighting, debate, and splintering into different camps and you know what? I prefer it that way. Harmony is boring. Debate born from conflict can help people reach an understanding with another and expand their viewpoints and knowledge. It helps us critically examine the thing we love, which is a lot more valuable than everyone saying the same things.

Thing is, it's always going to be like this because there are different types of fans with different values. You've got the original generation who have been watching from the beginning, the people who were part of that generation but stopped watching and came back later, and new generations who jumped in with later seasons. Then among all those, you've got those who still prefer original Pokemon, those who prefer newer Pokemon, those who are positive, those who are endlessly cynical but still watch in slim hope of something, those who crave new ideas, and so on. Soon enough, there's going to be an even newer group of fans who jumped on with BW or XY, who won't have known what Pokemon was like before the HD era and before all the great production values. And I'll welcome them and their fresh view point.

Long story short, diversity is good, conflict is good, and as long as we're all respectful of one another I don't see a problem.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Short answer: thanks, social media.

Long answer: The cracks were already there long ago, of course, if you remember your playground days. Forums like Serebii, Bulbagarden, PokéBeach and others long since passed on can attest for the numerous scars they've received from the amount of slapfights and infighting fans would get into on a daily basis (shippers were the loudest of this category), and decisions outside of anyone's control such as 4KIDS' contract expiring and the dub switching over to TPCi caused a split down the middle for dub fans. But in general, it was just regulated to forums and perhaps there were some MMOs like Gaia and MapleStory where people argued with each other over offsite, but for the most part you had to be there to know about it. The only time you would meet a fan in person was at school, at the toy store for cards/events, or you had to go to a convention, and Pokémon hasn't had Pokémon-exclusive conventions for ten years now, if I'm remembering correctly.

Social media makes it that much easier to connect with other fans, and there's no quality control. Anyone can say anything they want--that's fine. But anyone can start any shit with anyone, and other people can jump into the dogpile, and it's harder to break it up and they can still take that argument elsewhere and cause more trouble. It's a tangled mess fanbases everywhere have gotten caught up in, and there's nothing anyone can do to fix it short of nuking the server or the Internet itself.

Social media is what'll keep the fandom alive, however. Interacting with the community is important for fans, it's an insatiable need, and unfortunately you have to put up with the bad apples in order to enjoy the good apples. As long as you regulate yourself, you can still enjoy the series your liking to your heart's content.

Kintaro

Banned
Forums in general have been dying since around uh...2012 or so, and every pokemon forum from the early/mid 2000's isn't anywhere as active as it was 10-15 years ago. Mainly because all the original fans moved on and younger fans are on youtube/twitter/social media instead. We all now have entire generations of fans who grew up with all the later seasons instead of the original seasons and don't care for the original characters too much. Besides that the Pokemon anime is huge now with a ton of characters. There are now a lot more sagas, female companions, Ash's pokemon, battles, etc. to compare to each other, unlike the older days where there were far fewer characters to discuss. So naturally opinions will be more mixed.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I read the whole thing, even if it was like a bullet to the brain.

First, having spent significant time on Star Wars eZBoards/Yuku's, SW is not the worst fanbase. The worst I've ever seen is One Piece, which became the worst a decade ago, and is probably just as toxic as ever. And the reason One Piece was so bad is that the fan culture eclipsed the merit of the original work, and they were highly concentrated: first on forums, then Wikia, then Reddit and Facebook. It boggles my mind that there are people who started OP after 4Kids went bankrupt, who make YouTube videos today talking about the "crime" of the dub they never grew up watching.

Pokemon isn't nearly that bad. It's always had a huge number of communities so a strong fan hivemind never emerged, not to the level of One Piece anyway. The competitive and TCG scenes ensured that the average fan is smarter than one from a TV-only fandom. Shipping is no longer unique to Pokemon, and the people who still watch the anime and talk about it are more perceptive than the average fan.

There are still some weird quirks, but the fanbase has been pretty consistent since I got into Pokemon. Outside of the hellhole that is /r/Pokemon, it feels like nothing's changed.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I respect your opinion, but the Pokemon fanbase has always been split.

Its just worse in some areas than others, and that's saying a lot.

Just look at the anime section on the one hand you have those who despise the anime (like me) and on the other hand you have those who believe the anime can do no wrong (sadly a trait shared with every form of fiction)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
As many have said, I think it’s mainly due to social media letting the polarization of the newer sagas (everything post Sinnoh for both games and anime) being more vocal. While I think changes that predates the aforementioned era like Misty leaving the show have caused discourse, there wasn’t anything too extreme until BW. I think this was around the time where social media finally started to gets its controversial influence in our daily lives so everyone could voice how they felt with a more active community.

Plus I think a fan base with the highest grossing franchise in the world is bound to get divisions

Kintaro

Banned
The people who tried to make a big deal out of Misty leaving are essentially the anime version of genwunners, similar to the people who only like the original 151 pokemon. If anyone thought the anime had to be about the original trio or Misty forever (and some do, you see them online on social media), well, then it's fair enough for them. The entire series is now after Misty left, so I don't think it really matters.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
This is a gross exaggeration. As a fanbase gets larger, the more opinions come forth. The more opinions come forth, the more fights happen. As a fanbase gets older, the generation gap is out in the open.

The base has always been polarized. We just have the medium to spread the toxic attitudes everywhere like dislike bombing the previews and attacking writers. Misinformation can also spread more quickly like the debate whether SM Ash is the "real Ash" or whatever nonsense people tried to interpret that tweet.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Another problem is that people can't handle the idea of opinions anymore. Not like they didn't have that problem back then either, but you could at least talk things through some way or another. The way it goes is their opinions are fact and if you disagree with it then you are a moron/horrible person and therefore your opinions don't matter. That's why arguments and yelling and slapfights happen so much because a lot of people can't debate, can't hold a civil conversation, don't like hearing someone else's point-of-view, or just can't agree to disagree. People want to feel vindicated, want to feel like they were always in the right. It's been a thing since forever, but social media really made this worse.

The Pokémon franchise has such a big enough world to its name that unless it's explicitly stated/grounded in fact, you can imagine whatever you want and it's probably a plausibility. Unless it's so outlandishly over-the-top or has some legit issues going for it that practically breaks the canon to fit your vision, no one should really have any issue with a different opinion/point-of-view. But Pokémon's serious business, apparently, and that's without touching upon shipping, an entirely different beast unto itself while being self-explanatory.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It's not the 2010s, though, we've always been this way. Our fanbase is infamous for having the most horrifying shipping wars all the way back in 1997. Bulbapedia has a whole article on it, and it barely even mentions anyone besides the original trio.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
It's not the 2010s, though, we've always been this way. Our fanbase is infamous for having the most horrifying shipping wars all the way back in 1997. Bulbapedia has a whole article on it, and it barely even mentions anyone besides the original trio.
Did not help THAT shudõ never had planned on end Satoshi with kasumi but 4kids scew our young brain with shipping and over DO that aspect when Japanese pokéAni never made big deal of it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
All I have to say is:

Twitter.
And its close friend:

Facebook.

I've seen some rather toxic stuff on both sites to be honest.

I think social media can bring out the worst in people, regardless of what fan base they're a part of.

Redstar45

And its close friend:

Facebook.

I've seen some rather toxic stuff on both sites to be honest.

I think social media can bring out the worst in people, regardless of what fan base they're a part of.
Let add Tumblr into the list of social media bring the worst in fans. shall we ? They are nuts too
I have a worst experience with some Pokemon fans there .
But Discord is okay for me with the fans.
Not so sure about other here ?

Kintaro

Banned
I don't think those places are any worse than here, one of the reasons forums aren't active anymore is most people moved to social media.

Redstar45

I don't think those places are any worse than here, one of the reasons forums aren't active anymore is most people moved to social media.
Yeah i have noticed about that

VoltTacklingPika

The base has always been polarized. We just have the medium to spread the toxic attitudes everywhere like dislike bombing the previews and attacking writers. Misinformation can also spread more quickly like the debate whether SM Ash is the "real Ash" or whatever nonsense people tried to interpret that tweet.

I think this is the bigger problem in all of this. Going back to when Sun and Moon was announced, Youtube was proliferated with "opinions" about the show's new look and "theories" on why the show looked "bad". People leapt to conclusions without the evidence to support them and it spread around the fanbase. And since we're all inherently lazy, few bothered to do the research to see if the theory was correct and just parroted it like it was fact. So for a good while "the budget has been cut!" and "they've given up on the show!" was accepted as conventional wisdom and it became very difficult to challenge it. It doesn't help that the systems we have now make misinformation more visible.

I don't know the solution to that problem, other than to encourage people to be diligent and check their facts, regardless of the original source. As a community, I think we can do more to prevent misinformation spread as well, but I realise this is a very difficult thing to do when there are so many different moving parts to keep track of.

Another problem is that people can't handle the idea of opinions anymore. Not like they didn't have that problem back then either, but you could at least talk things through some way or another. The way it goes is their opinions are fact and if you disagree with it then you are a moron/horrible person and therefore your opinions don't matter. That's why arguments and yelling and slapfights happen so much because a lot of people can't debate, can't hold a civil conversation, don't like hearing someone else's point-of-view, or just can't agree to disagree. People want to feel vindicated, want to feel like they were always in the right. It's been a thing since forever, but social media really made this worse.

It's the immediacy of social media that enables this. If I tweet something that somebody hard disagrees with, they can respond within seconds whereas back in 2008 when I first joined Serebii, you had to wait 10 minutes for the pages to load and then hope your response was visible through the 100 other responses that went through during that time. Communicating on a forum took more effort, so I feel like we all made extra sure that our posts were thorough enough to communicate everything we wanted. That's not necessary for more convenient platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Youtube.

Having said that, the fact we can be anonymous on the internet is a bigger factor and one that's been around since the dawn of forums. Anonymity empowers people to be more aggressive because they don't have to fear the consequences as they would in a face-to-face interaction. Aggressive communication has been the default mode of communication on the internet for ages and people have grown up with that. They don't know anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.