• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How ARE Dittos made?

NES2

That Guy
Maybe the expirements Rocket did on pokemon cuased mutations in the pokemon the DNA was taken from. Without its own DNA, it turned into a pink blob, and uses the DNA of other pokemon to transform. Yeah, not the greatest explanation, but it could work.

AzureWatcher

Glacier Hugger
Dittos. They copy. Mews. They copy. Smeargles. They can copy. Perhaps Ditto is just a freak accident when one of those two tried to copy and its atoms/cells messed up in the process?

renshikago

able 2 and halo odst, i have fable its great and so realistic much better then the first one it just seems more real and the campaign is really good u could play it all day and not get bored. u can have kids a wife a dog own land rent it out so people can live there and u make money u can get a job etc.

I get the feeling Ditto evolved from bacteria.

ChloboShoka

Writer
3 things I thought of:
1.Dittos are immortal-that's why they can't make more.
2.They split from each other, meaning they're not immortal.
3.They were created by either scientists or robots O_O

Seriously though, I think #1 is my best guess.

I like 1 and 3 combined. That would be cool. And Shadow Gamer's one too.

They were all created by Damon Gant. =D

Raider5k

FC: 4527 8489 5244
well, when a mummy ditto and a daddy ditto love each other very very much....

Edge Master

I'm back!
asexual reproction? tough question.
or maybe its just like with other pokemon. they fill out an order form and a skarmory drops the egg off.

The Indomitable

Experienced Master
You take the good, you take take the bad, you put them together and what do you have, THE FACTS OF DITTO

Nah but seriously, there glitches in reality. A choice encounter between Dialga and Palkia literally ripped apart the Physics of reality, taking apart and recombining resident pokemon at the battle billions of times until... you get Ditto

Sounds like a joke, but think about it. Dittos are implausible things, they shouldn't exist. I mean, when, if say you travel to all kinds of environments, are you ever going to see a giant bacteria, or anything remotely like that. Odds would be against you

The Indomitable

Seviper

Size has nothing to do with asexual reproduction being plausible or not, queen bees give birth to male bees w/o being fecundated, most Plantae have haplo-diplontic life cycles, not to mention that some Cnidaria, Mollusks and Echinoderms can generate new individuals from pieces of themselves. The last method is the one I like the most for Ditto, or maybe some kind of super-sized Mitosis.

Sagachu

Smooth as a Brock
I believe, whenever a pokemon is born, it is a ditto still sorting out it's DNA and RNA. When it has it sorted out, it makes itself a shell like a cocoon where it grows into the pokemon its supposed to be, becoming the pokemon eggs we have today. When the pokemon hatches, the dittos have already permanentl completed their transformation and grow up as the pokemon species it looks like.

But when a mutation happens, the ditto can't sort out the DNA and RNA and never permanently transforms. So the ditto is basically a big blob of stem cells that is unable to keep a transformed form forever because of a mutation.

miloticsavior

YOUR out of order!!
Whenever Arceus blinks, a ditto is created. I do have more, more inapropriate theorys regarding arceus, ditto, and bodily functions..

vampirelazarus

A computer hacker.
I got sick of rereading the same old crap over and over (ooh mitosis! ooh bacteria!) First of all:

asexual reproduction is the process by which an organism creates a genetically-similar or identical copy of itself without a contribution of genetic material from another individual. Bacteria divide asexually via binary fission; viruses take control of host cells to produce more viruses; Hydras (invertebrates of the order Hydroidea) and yeasts are able to reproduce by budding. These organisms do not have different sexes, and they are capable of "splitting" themselves into two or more individuals. Some 'asexual' species, like hydra and jellyfish, may also reproduce sexually. For instance, most plants are capable of vegetative reproduction—reproduction without seeds or spores—but can also reproduce sexually. Likewise, bacteria may exchange genetic information by conjugation. Other ways of asexual reproduction include parthogenesis, fragmentation and spore formation that involves only mitosis. Parthenogenesis (from the Greek παρθένος parthenos, "virgin", + γένεσις genesis, "creation") is the growth and development of embryo or seed without fertilization by a male. Parthenogenesis occurs naturally in some species, including lower plants (where it is called apomixis), invertebrates (e.g. water fleas, aphids, some bees and parasitic wasps), and vertebrates (e.g. some reptiles, fish, and, very rarely, birds and sharks). It is sometimes also used to describe reproduction modes in hermaphroditic species which can self-fertilize.

meaning these:
I think they just duplicate but i could be wrong.

Ditto, recreates itself, by detatching it's molecules, thus creating another Ditto >.< problem solved

They clone themselves from their own goop, though I find that explanation ridiculous to me, even though I was the one who brought it up in the first place, because that's not how you describe a clone.

I suppose they just grow until they're big enough to divide into two new ditto

are asexual reproduction. I am only here to clear this mess up. My thought is, they reproduce asexually through budding.

RDSchley

The Anti-Hero
you know that thing you do in the bathroom while your parents aren't home?...

Pyrax

The Ghost of Tsushima
I imagine that Dittos multiply similar to ameobas ;132;

miloticsavior

YOUR out of order!!
When Arceus sneezes, a ditto comes out.

LucarioLV.X

Pokemon master
I just came up with somethin what if when scientists made mew2 and it broke out before the creation process was complete and the D.N.A. left over from the experiment
mutated and became ditto then using the D.N.A. ditto kept on making more and more of itself and eventually was discovered and became a pokemon in its own right however other than that I think TomDraco is right.