1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How can I protect my privacy?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by mariopepper, Jun 15, 2019.

1. mariopepper

mariopepper Member

It's became a common and very important question nowadays, don't you think so? Your thoughts? How can people protect their privacy in the internet or even outside? I would like to see new ways to solve it

Leonhart likes this.
  2. satopi

satopi SM Ash is best Ash! All hail Champion Ash!

Keeping accounts private and not sharing their pictures or real life names/specific work companies online.

Or be a lurker rather than a member.

3. mariopepper

mariopepper Member

I used to think in this way too but I suppose it's mo longer possible not sharing their pictures or real life names/specific work companies online so people prefer simple using of Veepn or some kind of thers adds for their protection IMAO. Probably we should start think more about our privacy then about sharing photos with our ID to instagram etc.

4. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

The best way to protect your privacy is to not stand out. Currently, it's impossible to run targeted surveillance on every person. We're not at the level yet where AI can track each individual person.

The easiest way to maintain privacy tech-wise is to have administrator or root permissions on whatever device you use on the internet. This gives you the power to block things that might try to compromise your data.

It used to be that spyware was unauthorized, third-party intrusion. But now it's built into apps and the operating system itself. Google and Microsoft basically build their business models on spyware today.

5. mariopepper

mariopepper Member

the best advice I've seen - The best way to protect your privacy is to not stand out.. I should remember it

6. Dream Lad

Dream Lad Banned

If you use Google products and Facebook, chances are your privacy has already been compromised in some shape or form. I suppose if you use a reliable paid VPN while not logging into any identifiable accounts, you could be fine. Criminal activity and terrorism rely on the hidden Internet (Dark Web and encryption), so that's how they keep their "privacy" <--- even that too is curbed by FBI raids and cybersecurity. Therefore, there's no surefire privacy online. It's more about how much of yourself are you willing to put out there. If you're a normal human being, chances are nobody will care. Honestly, in today's day and age, what you put out on social media and messengers can be far more damaging than whatever random websites you lurk.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Leonhart likes this.
  7. Deadeye

Deadeye H(a)unting...

I heard someone managed to hack Tails recently. I wonder if Linux or Tails are so safe to use anymore... Windows hasn't been that for ages.

8. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Here's the sad truth: a VPN won't protect you, and I wonder if all the hyping of VPNs was nothing more than a way to create a new business (VPN services).

I host my own private, cloud-based VPN and here's why it (and commercial) VPNs are useless:

#1. ANYONE CAN SIGN UP FOR A COMMERCIAL VPN

If you can afford the $10/mo for NordVPN or whatever, so can Google. Or Netflix. Or the NCA/FBI. Even VPNs that claim to not log, like PIA, are private companies with unknown owners. For all we know, PIA is owned and operated by Netflix, meaning that even without logs, Netflix knows you're using a VPN because they control your traffic.

Or it might be owned by Vodafone, the very ISP you are trying to encrypt your data from. As soon as your data is decrypted, it goes through a Vodafone gateway and Vodafone once again knows everything about you.

All commercial VPNs should be considered compromised because of this ownership issue. The only way to guarantee your own privacy is to take matters into your own hands. But that might not be enough because

#2. ANYONE CAN DEPLOY A VPN IN THE CLOUD

Private cloud computing companies, like the VPN companies, have mystery owners and are privy to all data that leaves their gateways. You are essentially shifting trust away from your ISP to the cloud server. What's worse is that while those shady VPNs will take alternate forms of payment like PayPal and Bitcoin, most cloud computing companies will only take credit cards. Meaning, they know who you are, and someone hacking your cloud account will know, too.

Netflix knows the IP ranges of all cloud computing companies and has banned them from accessing Netflix. Likely, so will every other streaming service. So much for browsing the web "anonymously" when your billing information is known and you're blocked from a major chunk of the web.

It's ironic...to hide oneself from Google or Amazon, the safest services to use are Google Cloud and Amazon Web Services. Both companies already know everything about you, but because they're publicly owned, there's an element of transparency not there with other providers. And because they're so massive, they're unlikely to be watching you carefully.