• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How can Journeys improve on its criticisms?

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
Isn't it already improving?

After DD:

Development for the lab assistants, or at least Kikuna so far.

Development for Koharu.

More Galar region, characters and pokemon.

Ash's pokemon training + return of the PWC + another rival. Farfetch'd development arc. (Off screen climbs were not a good idea, but I doubt it will be a recurring problem)

We get to see Goh's pokemon in the lab interacting + more use outside of the lab. Minicarp finally appears.

We get Goh training on screen so people have less to complain about when he battles in the future.

Gary to appear in the near future (60?) and Iris likely soon after.

We don't know how much screentime the PWC will receive overall, but I assume that it will become much more prominent as the show continues.

The writers ultimate plans for Goh are still up for speculation. Much of year one was Ash training Goh. Now Goh is at least competent (dual protagonists) so the show is developing the support cast.

Things should even out moving forward.

mystreon

the elder eevee
Isn't it already improving?

After DD:

Development for the lab assistants, or at least Kikuna so far.

Development for Koharu.

More Galar region, characters and pokemon.

Ash's pokemon training + return of the PWC + another rival. Farfetch'd development arc. (Off screen climbs were not a good idea, but I doubt it will be a recurring problem)

We get to see Goh's pokemon in the lab interacting + more use outside of the lab. Minicarp finally appears.

We get Goh training on screen so people have less to complain about when he battles in the future.

Gary to appear in the near future (60?) and Iris likely soon after.

We don't know how much screentime the PWC will receive overall, but I assume that it will become much more prominent as the show continues.

The writers ultimate plans for Goh are still up for speculation. Much of year one was Ash training Goh. Now Goh is at least competent (dual protagonists) so the show is developing the support cast.

Things should even out moving forward.
It is not improving, no.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
How would you guys feel if the show was more like this? (Writing Wise)

Would this be an improvement or nah?

(I'm going to tag @desdar300 @PsychoLogical @Ace-Barn @Spider-Phoenix and @AuraChannelerChris because you all are some of my favorite people here <3)

index.php
To be brutally honest.... regressive. Let's be real, you seriously expect crap to go well and return to "normalcy" considering they made Ash a regional champion (even if how he did so was technically quite lame) ? After that, you kinda have to start changing it up a bit as going back to the old formula of badge collecting would pretty much be regressive. Become a champion and then go back to something basic like badge collecting? Losing leagues while also scoring high is one thing and can be reasonable to go back to badge collecting but now being a champion? That's where we then head into powerscaling issues like for the DB series. It would just be the same old sagas with the same old issues in every series. Screentime issues, underutilization, and late captures.

desdar300

To be brutally honest.... regressive. Let's be real, you seriously expect crap to go well and return to "normalcy" considering they made Ash a regional champion (even if how he did so was technically quite lame) ? After that, you kinda have to start changing it up a bit as going back to the old formula of badge collecting would pretty much be regressive. Become a champion and then go back to something basic like badge collecting? Losing leagues while also scoring high is one thing and can be reasonable to go back to badge collecting but now being a champion? That's where we then head into powerscaling issues like for the DB series. It would just be the same old sagas with the same old issues in every series. Screentime issues, underutilization, and late captures.
I think they've done a pretty good job of subverting our expectations by not focusing on the Pokemon world coronation series.
That was the curveball of the century

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I think they've done a pretty good job of subverting our expectations by not focusing on the Pokemon world coronation series.
That was the curveball of the century
It's a matter of maintaining progress. You can simply compare what I said to the beginning of the BW saga where they basically "soft reseted" him which sure worked out well.

desdar300

It's a matter of maintaining progress. You can simply compare what I said to the beginning of the BW saga where they basically "soft reseted" him which sure worked out well.
I can at least say that they were trying to pull a BW and emulate RBY but here?
Idk man

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I think my biggest problem is with Gohs obsession to capture everything that moves. Most of these Pokemon will likely never be seen again, get any sort of development, and probably wont have a completed Pokdex by end of this series.

Journeys seems to have an identity crisis of not knowing what it wants to be. Does it want to focus on Ash's battling or on Goh's hoarding? It can be quite jarring to be honest.

Personally I would have preferred a series set exclusively in the Galar region. That way we get more time to develop the new regions history and culture instead of revisiting old ground.

Morax

King of heroes
(I'm going to tag @desdar300 @PsychoLogical @Ace-Barn @Spider-Phoenix and @AuraChannelerChris because you all are some of my favorite people here <3)
</3
Seriously, this PWC format is better off as a spin-off series like those Pokemon Chronicles-like episodes (I know Japan apparently had no such series, but still, you all get the point).
A "world tournament" is too grande and ambitious for something like pokemon. It would only work if this anime wasn't a marketing tool.

Red and Blue

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit

index.php
You forgot to update Ash's face and hat. XD
Journeys seems to have an identity crisis of not knowing what it wants to be. Does it want to focus on Ash's battling or on Goh's hoarding? It can be quite jarring to be honest.
Both? They are dual protagonists, though the PWC needs more development.
I think my biggest problem is with Gohs obsession to capture everything that moves. Most of these Pokemon will likely never be seen again, get any sort of development, and probably wont have a completed Pokdex by end of this series.
I'm pretty sure that Hitmonchan, Binacle, and Wingul are the longest running no-shows amongst Goh's pokemon. It's also a given that Goh's pokemon will receive varying amounts of focus which will ultimately favor the more marketable ones.

Though I want to ask those that have a problem with it;

'What is wrong with Goh catching pokemon that don't receive development?'

Spending more time battling/ bonding with each pokemon is something that I would definitely enjoy, but it's not like the show spends allot of time on the majority of his captures, nor do they appear often, so it isn't like they are taking up screentime. Where is the problem?

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
Because there is no point of the capture otherwise. They waste the time where some other acute detail or trait could be emphasized.
They advance his goal though, and the majority hardly take time out of episodes. No different than POTD's that get to cameo after their debut.
We'd still get episodes about them.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer

index.php
Nope and yes
Nope on doing the whole Alola setting. One of my favourite things about SM was how it was new, fresh, unique and broke the stale pattern of the series
So breaking a stale pattern to only continue another stale pattern is pointless. The premise of JN hyped me up so much coz it's the perfect continuation to a series that broke the stagnancy of a series and moved it forward, by being even more ambitious and setting up goals perfectly furthering ash's goal. So the main core of JN is perfect imo
When it comes to parts of SM that I wished were in JN, it's the team dynamic. SM has the best team dynamic screentime and focus by far, so it's a shame JN barely shows ash's team
Also TR being actual characters and unique again instead of being so bad
Otherwise JN doesn't need to be SM 2.0 that breaks the whole point. SM strong character writing is still prevalent anyway as seen in Chloe and Goh, even if the pacing is way off.
JN has its own issues to fix but not being SM 2.0 ISNT one of them