• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How come the writers never explored Snivy's background?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPT

Just a member
I think Snivy's past was somewhat like Tepig's past.......her trainer mistreated her and she left him/her.
Maybe that's why the writers didn't explained more about it.

Last edited:

adamfitz

poké-lover
I think Snivy's past was somewhat like Tepig's past.......her trainer mistreated her and she left him/her.
Maybe that's why the writers didn't explained more about it.

And that could be why she knows how tepig feels
But she is to much of a proud pokemon

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Maybe if there were less repetitive episodes about Axew getting lost and the likes, we could've found out more about her..

She left her trainer, that much is true.. but who was it? and why did she do it? Now we'll never know..

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
It seems like she left her old trainer I wish they would have explored that a bit I'd rather learn about that then some of the fillers we have gotten.

Have you ever thought that maybe Snivy doesn't have a background that needs exploring? It was still a wild pokemon when Ash caught it so it doesn't matter about explaining about it's past trainer unlike with poor Tepig.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Have you ever thought that maybe Snivy doesn't have a background that needs exploring? It was still a wild pokemon when Ash caught it so it doesn't matter about explaining about it's past trainer unlike with poor Tepig.

Really? Tepig was wild as well, in the exact same sense that it was owned by a trainer, and then it wasn't. Just because Tepig had drama, and Snivy caused/repressed drama, doesn't mean that Tepig was any more wild then Snivy. Both were formerly owned pokemon, and thus they're equally wild.

Snivy doesn't give a crud about her previous trainer, but who's to say that that previous trainer didn't feel jilted by Snivy? Perhaps losing a big match because Snivy decided to bail on him/her? Makes you think about how that trainer would react to seeing his/her old Snivy again - especially with an appalling trainer such as Ash.

dman_dustin

I didn't. I meant what I said.

Oshawott, Tepig, and Snivy cannot be found in the wild the wild in Unova. Because it is implausible for Ash to simply stumble upon these three Starter Pokemon in the wild in close proximity to each other the writers explained it away. Oshawott came from Juniper's lab. Tepig was abandoned. Snivy possibly ran away. It's a simple and convenient way to explain an inconsistency with the games which the anime adheres more closely to these days.

Snivy's is a story that we've already heard a variation of before with Squirtle who Jenny speculated was abandoned by its previous Trainer and Bulbasaur who also hinted that he either ran away or was abandoned. Whether it's true or not I took it as yet another throwback to Kanto and didn't expect anything more from it. Ultimately, whoever owned them before was irrelevant because they weren't going back to them.

There's a reason why you can't catch starter Pokemon in the wild in the games and that's because if you could it would take away how special the starter Pokemon are.

Now, I will give into the fact what about future generation, why can't they have past generation starters in the wild? My best guess is because of the same reason only not as strictly applied. The starters are special and that's just how it is, so you can only get them by special means.

But you have a ditto, and look at how many starters you can have, more than a box full of starters, hell your storage system can be full of starters if you wish.

But that's not the point. The point is, we didn't see any wild Unova Starters, is because it wasn't relevant to the plot. Ash wasn't going to catch a wild starter, because that isn't what was in planned. Let's look at XY, the three starters especially Froakie look completely wild.

And if you remember Snivy's capture. The only reason why Snivy was believed to have a trainer, is not because it was a Snivy, but because Snivy was so skilled and strong and appeared to be a trained Snivy.

So believe what you want, but if it having had a trainer was just a convenient excuse, it was because of how powerful Snivy was, NOT because it was simply a Snivy.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
The answer to the thread: Lazy Writing. And BW is full of it.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
Makes me wish they had a story line where like palpitoad or another...ehem, underused pokemon would want to actually leave ash. It wouldn't happen of course, but just the possibility of the pokemon leaving.

The answer to the thread: Lazy Writing. And BW is full of it.

Typical response. Maybe they choose not to tell us and have us think of it ourselves. Like with Cilan's fear, we can put our own theiries to the test. And remember, what happened to Brock and Ivy is still unknown to this day.

Rohanator

Typical response. Maybe they choose not to tell us and have us think of it ourselves. Like with Cilan's fear, we can put our own theiries to the test. And remember, what happened to Brock and Ivy is still unknown to this day.

The Cilan and Brock gag are fair enough but you don't just leave a character's entire backstory up for the viewer to imagine.

The Cilan and Brock gag are fair enough but you don't just leave a character's entire backstory up for the viewer to imagine.

I have no idea, but they shouldn't be called lazy becuase we don't know.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.

That reasoning isn't much better imo. We shouldn't have to come up with the answer on our own; the writers are supposed to their jobs and tell us this information. And the Professor Ivy thing is different. It was hardly relevant to the plot unlike Snivy's background which would've been crucial to her development, and even Cilan's fear of Purrloin which at least played a role in a couple of episodes. I do think this is a case of bad/lazy writing because everything was set up perfectly for Snivy's background to be explored yet the writers couldn't be bothered to write an episode about that. I personally would have preferred a Snivy development episode like that over the 20 fillers that we got in DA, but that's just me.

Rohanator

I have no idea, but they shouldn't be called lazy becuase we don't know.

It's either lazy or stupid. Either they couldn't bother coming up with anything proper or they thought that not doing anything with Snivy was actually a good idea. In both cases they're at fault. They are professional writers and they must be allowed to be criticized when they do a bad job.

It's either lazy or stupid. Either they couldn't bother coming up with anything proper or they thought that not doing anything with Snivy was actually a good idea. In both cases they're at fault. They are professional writers and they must be allowed to be criticized when they do a bad job.

Like what everyone is doing to Best Wishes, making threads to the most pointless stuff nitpicky anything that should just die? Yes they are professionals, I want to be a professional, but they aren't perfect. They are not lazy and it's not stupid that it's been dropped. We haven't even finished BW or even know anything about XY for it to be dropped. So sorry, it's the more the fault of everyone expecting it too much from it, like everything of BW.

Rohanator

Like what everyone is doing to Best Wishes, making threads to the most pointless stuff nitpicky anything that should just die? Yes they are professionals, I want to be a professional, but they aren't perfect. They are not lazy and it's not stupid that it's been dropped. We haven't even finished BW or even know anything about XY for it to be dropped. So sorry, it's the more the fault of everyone expecting it too much from it, like everything of BW.

Expecting a Pokemon's backstory to be at least somewhat covered isn't too much to ask. I'm far from a pointless nitpicker when it comes to the anime but this is definitely not pointless. It's Snivy, Ash's Pokemon, a character in the main group. She deserved more. So yes, her backstory being dropped is stupid, lazy, insulting. End. Of. F*cking. Story.

I don't go on about complaining about it, but when someone happens to make a thread might as well throw in mah 2 cents. At least it's somewhat of a rarer topic as opposed to the constant spam about Ash's regression and reserve screen time ect.

Last edited:
Expecting a Pokemon's backstory to be at least somewhat covered isn't too much to ask. I'm far from a pointless nitpicker when it comes to the anime but this is definitely not pointless. It's Snivy, Ash's Pokemon, a character in the main group. She deserved more. So yes, her backstory being dropped is stupid, lazy, insulting. End. Of. F*cking. Story.

I never said it was dropped, if it was, why the most recent dubbed DA ep brought it up about Snivy? Everyone deserves more, but not everyone can get what you wanted. So so don't call it being dropped stupid or lazy, and swearing, you didn't have to prove your point?

Can this thread be closed before it leads to a augrement

naughtynun

^ ^ ^
The troll starting arguments (as he always seems to) is saying the thread should be closed... because it might cause an argument... go figure...

The writers clearly never intended to bother with Snivy from the start. Why do I say that? Look at her moveset. Whilst not being great, by any means, it has moves that she learns last in her learnset and yet she had those moves at the start of the saga. Oshawott was Mr.Merchandise, allegedly cute, allegedly funny but not remotely serious. He became the one to hog all the screentime. Pignite was neither cute nor funny, but very serious and so hogged far too many wins that should have be shared amongst the other team members. Therefore Snivy was left with nothing. It just appeared. It had character that was never built on. It had a good moveset that was very poorly used. It had an excellent possible evolution, that was not realised. Finally and most importantly, it had impressive battle skills which, if anything, regressed.

The writers didn't properly develop any one of Ash's team members, even those that we saw a lot of. The majority of them were left crying alone in the corner whilst Pikachu and Pignite won all the battles and Oshawott got all the attention. Did Oshawott progress? Well, it became more annoying, if that counts. It learned a move and won a single battle despite all of the time it wasted.Pignite was developed to an extent, but was pretty much the only team member to get even that.

Development and exploring the story of Pokemon has never been worse than in Best Wishes. The Pokemon anime has become all about marketing and not at all about making a good show. The question is not why did they not explore Snivy's backstory. The question is, why did the Anime staff think it was acceptable to fill an entire saga with three Pokemon taking all the time and/or battles and yet not actually going anywhere with them?

MattySadler

Shame really, one of many potentially interesting storylines never explored. Wouldn't say its laziness on the part of the writers though. Misplaced priorities, perhaps? I'd have liked to have seen more of Snivy's back story being developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.