• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How deep does the Cloning Market Go?

TheTrueRman

Amateur Breeder and Legend Collector
A Quick Question for you guys. Am i good on using a Charizard i caught on a Hosted Shiny Raid online in ranked attles? No unfair advantages (in fact average stats) just wondering cause of the whole shiny raid exploit.

A Quick Question for you guys. Am i good on using a Charizard i caught on a Hosted Shiny Raid online in ranked attles? No unfair advantages (in fact average stats) just wondering cause of the whole shiny raid exploit.
Personally I wouldn't do it. I'd feel much more accomplishment using the Masuda Method or something to get a shiny Charmander and then give it the Gigantamax factor using Max Soup. Fair chance that raid was a hacked one.
If it's an exploit however, like cloning was in older gens and no external features were used by the host then I don't mind myself.

TheTrueRman

Personally I wouldn't do it. I'd feel much more accomplishment using the Masuda Method or something to get a shiny Charmander and then give it the Gigantamax factor using Max Soup. Fair chance that raid was a hacked one.
If it's an exploit however, like cloning was in older gens and no external features were used by the host then I don't mind myself.
good point. i was only doing a few to get the ranked outfit anyways. I had her on my team but didnt use her. I used a Breeded Shin Galar Starter HA GMAX team.
Man, thats gonna set back a lot of my Pokemon then. lol.
And a lot of my breeded pokemon were breeded from a 6IV ditto i got from a giveaway on the same server
Bit i do believe these pokemon were from the Raid Exploit. It was the days when Link codes were only 4 digits Long. They were hosted on a discord server not random link ones

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
For the people wondering about legal action being taken, you should given this article a read:https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/4/22...cker-pokemon-sobble-sword-and-shield-nintendo

The thing about the genning “community” is that you can not stop them and I’m sure GameFreak is aware of that. There will always be a demand for them with competitive players and people who just like free Shinies. Even with bans and software updates, they can and will find a way around it. Personally, I don’t care as long as you’re not selling them to people and your Pokémon aren’t getting illegal sets like Shiny Ash Greninja with Water Spout. Complaining about it is just fighting a losing battle and it really doesn’t diminish the effort I put into my Shiny/competitive Pokémon.

TheTrueRman

For the people wondering about legal action being taken, you should given this article a read:https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/4/22...cker-pokemon-sobble-sword-and-shield-nintendo

The thing about the genning “community” is that you can not stop them and I’m sure GameFreak is aware of that. There will always be a demand for them with competitive players and people who just like free Shinies. Even with bans and software updates, they can and will find a way around it. Personally, I don’t care as long as you’re not selling them to people and your Pokémon aren’t getting illegal sets like Shiny Ash Greninja with Water Spout. Complaining about it is just fighting a losing battle and it really doesn’t diminish the effort I put into my Shiny/competitive Pokémon.
All this worry of keeping your pokemon perfectly Authentic is just anxiety inducing. Maybe it's best not to worry about it so much. So long as your Mons are Using legit sets and legit stats, it should all be fine in the end of the day. It is just a game after all. Right?
I don't sell pokemon or deal in blatant hacks and certainty don't use unbalanced mons. I am guilty of partaking in exploits and owning potential copies for collection purposes. I'm sure we all partake in it a little, even if we don't realize it.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
All this worry of keeping your pokemon perfectly Authentic is just anxiety inducing. Maybe it's best not to worry about it so much. So long as your Mons are Using legit sets and legit stats, it should all be fine in the end of the day. It is just a game after all. Right?
I don't sell pokemon or deal in blatant hacks and certainty don't use unbalanced mons. I am guilty of partaking in exploits and owning potential copies for collection purposes. I'm sure we all partake in it a little, even if we don't realize it.
I agree with all of this (especially the bold part). i get why people are hesitant to trust Shiny Pokémon but I just can’t be bothered to stress over it unless it has an obvious giveaway like it being Shiny without it being possible to obtain or the name is a URL to another website. Even then if I see an obvious hack online during a battle, I don’t care as long as the Pokémon are legal in terms of their stats/moves. I’ve seen people let these hacked Pokémon ruin competitive & Shiny hunting for them and I just don’t understand it. It’s genuinely hard for me to care too much about issues like these unless it’s actively impacting my gameplay.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I also think that using the G-Max Soup is the best way to guarantee that you get the Gigantamax Pokémon that you want without any legal issues. I’m thinking of making the Shiny Gengar that was given out a few years ago into G-Max this way if I can figure out which game save I sent it to.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The one way you can be 100% sure your Pokémon are not hacked is if you caught/bred them and trained them yourself, which is what I do for all of my teams. For gaps in your Pokédex, you can find a trustworthy source, though I know that isn't always easy to do, especially if you have to go online to do so.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
It might be harder to track and trace them, vpns and all that. Since there are so many of them. So they set examples of them so as to deter others from doing the same thing.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Speaking of clone markets and hackers If GameFreak is actually going as far as occasionally getting hackers into trouble and make a example by getting police to arrest them like this www.polygon.com/2021/2/4/22266484/japanese-police-arrest-sword-shield-hacker-pokemon-sobble-sword-and-shield-nintendo

Then why aren't they doing something to get rid of the GTS flooders on the 3DS. I hate when my console freezing up when trying to look for trades.
They tried to do that during Generation V with all the Magnemite (which was due to a Join Avenue exploit) but failed to make a dent due to the huge numbers of people doing it and some of these guys being more tech-savvy than Game Freak's teams, able to pop back up almost as soon as they're blocked.

In order to do something about it on a scale like as seen in the Pokémon games, the games themselves have to have an online infrastructure capable of tracking information about people and a robust report system, neither of which any of the Pokémon games have. (The former could run into privacy issues in the US and EU if implemented improperly; the latter is easier said than done.)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The only Magnemite exploit I remember was everyone trading for Magnemite so they could level the Join Avenue faster or something. I remember because I've used. Didn't even know it involved some form of hacking. Thought it was just people using a random Magnemite they had from gameplay (the one I sent was that)

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The only Magnemite exploit I remember was everyone trading for Magnemite so they could level the Join Avenue faster or something. I remember because I've used. Didn't even know it involved some form of hacking. Thought it was just people using a random Magnemite they had from gameplay (the one I sent was that)
It wasn't hacking-related. Magnemite was used because they were easy to find, just like with your experiences. The problem was that there were so many people doing it that it became hard to do any normal trades.

There were steps chosen in subsequent games regarding crowding of GTS resources, like an automatic block of all illegal Pokémon (which was still a problem, as some Legendary and Mythical Pokémon were available in the past at Level 1, like Regigigas), then later on, better searches that blocked ALL special Pokémon and searches with newest ones first instead of oldest. Pokémon HOME just got an update that gives better searches still; now you can search for someone who wants a particular Pokémon species, which in turn will provide incentive for people to ask for reasonable stuff.

Hacking is a large part of the reason behind why seemingly everyone demands a Level 100 Mewtwo and nothing less: there are some hackers who DO give out these Legendary Pokémon, pro bono, and they spend their days fulfilling these trades. It gives people the wrong impression of what constitutes a reasonable trade, especially since many of these people putting up some common Pokémon and asking for Legendary Pokémon at Level 100 are little kids, who don't yet understand how to see things from someone else's perspective. They see the GTS as a machine where you put in a Pokémon, ask for something, and a while later, your request is granted, so for them, why NOT put in the biggest, baddest thing they can imagine?

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The one clone I do have is a Blaziken that got duplicated while trading.
This was prior to me getting it, but one of my cousins offered it, and I accepted.

jaden767

Amphetamine
Never heard of the cloning market before. I know that people clone but I thought most people did the service for free for their friends or trade buddies. I didn't know that people were charging money for cloned Pokemon. :(

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Here are a few pro tips

• Check for suspiciously high IV numbers, ask for help from experienced players.​
  • Avoid anyone using AdventureSnivy on Nintendo 3DS. It will often soft-lock your console
    when you browse the GTS. making you have to turn it off​
  • If you're really desperate to find a pokemon... it's safer to Deposit one of yours on the servers instead of using Seek. It can take a few hours.
    or organize a trade with a trusted friend.​
  • Is it shiny? Getting a legit shiny is really hard and not often traded.​
  • Is it level 100.... same reason as shinies lvl 100 are not often traded.​
  • Is the name of the pokemon or the trainer suspicious. Always check google it and check if it leads to a group including discord or twitter.​

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Here are a few pro tips
  • Is the name of the pokemon or the trainer suspicious. Always check google it and check if it leads to a group including discord or twitter.​
I'd like to add this:

If it is a URL, it is 100% an illegally made or modified Pokémon. They are trying to sell more to you. These operations name all of their Pokémon as URLs to provide publicity and to gain new customers. They aggressively engage in Wonder/Surprise Trades as free sample giveaways. Consequently, never trade them to someone else, especially via Wonder/Surprise Trade where your recipient is unknown; you don't know if the person you're trading to might actually visit these operations.