• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How did Pokemon get their name?

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I always thought Pokemon got their name by what the creature was saying. Like a yellow mouse kept saying "Pika Pikachu!", so they named it Pikachu. But not all Pokemon say their name. I don't recall Onix saying "Onix Onix!". So how did those Pokemon get their name? And if creatures in the Pokemon world get named by what they say, so shouldn't cows be named "Moos" because all they say is "Moo" and Ducks should be called "Quacks" because they say "Quack".

Most english Pokemon names are two words put together.

Tree+ Geecko= Treecko

Solar + Rock= Solrock

etc, etc.

BCVM22

Assuming you're speaking "in-universe," i.e. "how did the people of the Pokémon world give the name Onix to a creature that goes 'graaaaaaa'?", I think that's one of those things where you just have to keep in mind that it's a fictional universe and not everything is going to make perfect sense scientifically and/or taxonomically.

LucarioMan101

HGSS ftw!!!!!!
Assuming you're speaking "in-universe," i.e. "how did the people of the Pokémon world give the name Onix to a creature that goes 'graaaaaaa'?", I think that's one of those things where you just have to keep in mind that it's a fictional universe and not everything is going to make perfect sense scientifically and/or taxonomically.

Im amazed at how you can bring so much to the conversation and stimulate others' minds......oh wait that couldnt be you <.<

Imo, in primitive pokemon world times, humans and the species of onix agreed on a nickname for the species through a process of trial and error and it evolved over time. Thus, they have been use to being called that since.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Assuming the anime and special to be accurate portrayals of the pokemon world (which we know the latter to be), they just stuck the things they said together.

BCVM22

Im amazed at how you can bring so much to the conversation and stimulate others' minds......oh wait that couldnt be you <.<

Aw shucks, and I put so much effort into that post too.

Ah well. Can't make an award-winning post every time, right? I'll be sure to try harder to stimulate the minds of others next time. Promise.

yanmegy423

Litwick-KAWAIIDESU!
^Not. A. Story. this is a question regarding the names of pokemon and while you're asking, pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters because poke balls can fit in to your pocket.

squlicky4

well a pokemons name is usually two names put together i.e

Torch+chick=Torchic
Luna+tone=Lunatone

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Maybe humans noticed that the words the Pokemon say and are named after seem to follow a slight pattern, and used said pattern to fill in the gaps for the other ones.

As for the other animals... I'm sure on one of the japanese dubs a ferret or mongoose or something turned up and said it's name.

Tyridium

COD fan
^Not. A. Story. this is a question regarding the names of pokemon and while you're asking, pokemon is short for Pocket Monsters because poke balls can fit in to your pocket.

very useful, not!!!, and in anime they only just fit in their pockets., they would rip jeans they are so big, in fact they attach them to they're belt.

Arceus Made Dialga and Palkia and mew and humans, Dialga made time and Palkia made space. mew made raquaza, groudon and kyogue who made the land sea and sky.
Mew then made all pokemon and made them 'evolve' so that they could say the names that the great Arceus gave them, that way humans knew their names.

The problem with that is pokemon like dialga, onix and darkrai don't say their names, and Hitmonchan, Dragonite and Mewtwo speak English!

It is likely that Humans named pokemon, as said before, Bulb+dinosaur = Bulbasaur, Sand+shrew = sandshrew (lol) ekans = snake backwards, similarly Arbok is Kobra backwards. but if that is the case where does dialga, palkia, lugia, lucario ETC come from?

Last edited:

mas

They mix words until they like the name.

In real life you will find pokemon are given names to do with what they resemble or a characteristic of theirs or from the being that they are based on. It might be obvious like Ekans and Sandshrew, it might be a little more difficult to figure it out in the case of Raichu Rai meaning thunder and chu is the sound a mouse makes according to Japan. The "Rai" part can be made easier to understand as Raikou also uses it, both are electric types. Some are not so obvious such as Lugia, if you haven't already learnt about it or look it up you'll never really know how it got it's name but it's based off of the Ryujin, dragon god of the sea.

In the game universe it's just how the creators saw fit to have them speak. The games afterall are aimed at children who just go with it and can find it fun and i can't remember questioning it when i was young. I think the pokedex entries are flawed as i think maybe it has told of how a pokemon has gotten it's name but if it was given a name by a human then why does it speak it's name? I cannot remember what pokemon or if a pokemon even has that in it's entry but i remember thinking about it.

Ultimatly in the universe of pokemon the people will probably just have named them like we name our animals, asking them why would be like why do we call rabbits "Rabbits"? Because they are rabbits. Why are Stayus "Staryus"? it's just the way it is here so why not there.

That's just an opinion btw.

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
hi very nice story i think we should ask our admin that from where the name pokemon has collected.?!?!??

The fact that your signature appears in your quite shows it's not your signature, but part of your post which means you are advertising, which means you will be banned.

Either way, this isn't a story, this is a question to get us discussing the possibilities. I think that it just depends on who first discovered the Pokemon. Like some people named it on what it was saying, while others named it on a property of that Pokemon.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin

Way to add to the conversation. You can easily say the Pokemon are named that way because Nintendo named them that way. Nuff said. Sorry for thinking there was more to it, my bad.

JQ2ujrx

Burned By Passion

Onix is a dark color, and since Onix lives in dark caves, it fits...
Most is just clever word play, like Arbok=Kobra, and Koffing=Coughing

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
As far as I'm concerned, Pokemon were never meant to speak their names. I don't think that a Pokemon says it's name anywhere in Red and Blue. Frankly, I hate that idea. Why would Combusken, who's name is derived from combustion and chicken, recite it's name mindlessly even though it's just a portmanteau of two English words? Is that how Pokemon would have been named in-universe? Because that's incredibly lame. Yet again logic=/=Pokemon.

Last edited: