• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How did you feel about the way Dawn's Piplup was handled as a mascot?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
We've had Pokemon that stayed out of their balls before like Togepi and now Axew, but none of them were treated like a huge mascot the way Piplup was. It was also used in most of Dawn's major battles and filler eps.

How did you feel? Would you have preferred Piplup to evolve or be less of a mascot?

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
It wasn't until Battle Dimension it was a full on mascot

Salamandre

quite a prolific chain of posts this week mite, but as for the topic i think it was horrible for the viewers. It did prove to be have a strong of an connection to its trainer as pikachu. But it's personality was just.....it was a penguin that was incredibily arogant and was over attached to dawn/pikachu. It was really annoying watching episodes of it boasting about it's awesomeness only to have a fit when it couldn't prove it's strength. The sensativity the writers gave was a terrible combination with the ego it had. What they did with oshawott was what they should have done with the *facepalm* bird. Let the pokemon have a overconfident ego but make it serious enough that i'll improve when it has too. Which was also another think i hated it won battle after battle but never felt like it improved throught the series.

*anyways better close this thread now before more hate posts come

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Before this gets closed from all the haters and flamers that Cyber is trying to attract (I guess he's bored) Piplup was alright. I never was to annoyed with it. I've put up with generic "Pika!" "Pika, Pi!" "Pikachu!" and "Toge, Toge!" for what seems like forever so I know how to ignore mascot Pokemon. I do agree that Oshawott is Piplup done right, even though I find Oshawott ugly as anything. Piplup lost his serious side when the writers decided to make him a joke so it was hard to take him seriously after the Wallace Cup. At least he had a personality unlike Pikachu who gets more boring by the episodes.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
I agree, I think it works out fine, since Piplup had a personality and personality development at times. I think it was better not evolving.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
For it's potenital, Piplup was more or less a decent mascot for DP. Compared to Pikachu in my opinion, it gets a little redundant. But don't get me wrong, that's if I were to compare. Alone, Piplup is very amusing in certain situations. So forward on, it was a well amusing character.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Piplup was only like Pikachu when it came to the relationship he has with his trainer. Other then that the two are nothing alike.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Several Pokemon in the series didn't evolve and never will. Bulbasaur comes to mind on anti evolution as well. This trend will continue in every season.

dillon836

New user
I'd prefer it not to evolve, as Pokemon who refuse to evolve learn more moves and some of those moves have strategy, and it wouldn't matter if they were weak or not, as contests have nothing to do with stats.

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
^^; ...I always felt it was shoved down our throats...I never liked Piplup too much I thought it was too much like Pikachu.

THIS. There was an attempt to make Piplup on par with Pikachu, but it never really took IMO. I'm curious what would've happened if it was actually handled well, but Piplup being thrown in our faces every week just wasn't pleasant.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't see what the point was. They evolved the other two starters and nobody missed how there wasn't a Turtwig or Chimchar on the show.

And since Barry only appeared rarely, we didn't see too much of Empoleon.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
There was a time when everything was well with the anime. Then came Piplup. I could go on about how much I dislike the little blue penguin, but I'll play nice for now. I honestly didn't like how they sort of forced Piplup down our throats. They tried too hard to make it seem cute and funny, and that ended up being the little penguin's downfall. I thought Piplup was cute for a while too, but the writers were very insistent on making it popular, and I just couldn't take it anymore. If they had toned down its personality a bit, then maybe I would've grown fond of it instead of sharpening my knife everytime it appeared on screen.

Also: :501: > ;393;

Last edited:

Salamandre

^I disagree with you completely 4th kira

:501: > ;158; >>;160;>>;159;>>>>>>>>>>> ;393;

do you see the flaw in your logic:D

Salamandre

lol that was the point ash's totodile and its evolutions that rarely appears are more preferible than piplup

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
Piplup was pretty much Pikachu, only with more personality. He really didn't deserve all the hate he got. He was strong when he needed to be and comical when the episode called for it.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Piplup was handled better than Pikachu IMO as a mascot. Pikachu hasn't got personality. Where as Piplup does, Piplup can be strong when it wants to be and used for comical purposed aswell which is great to keep younger audiences laughing, where Pikachu hardly does a thing but battle, get captured or fight Team Rocket. Piplup really doesn't deserve the hate it gets because it is IMO the best mascot so far for the anime. And Cyber, here you go again, "Nobody missed how there wasn't a Turtwig or Chimchar on the show." Well I missed having Turtwig around because I thought it was a great pokemon, and seeing Grotle's personality slowly disappear made me angry since Turtwig had personality.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
We didn't get to see much of its other forms.

Kenny only appeared what... 6 times for Prinplup? And even though Barry appeared a lot more, I still feel like we never saw Empoleon in that many major battles.

Its like the writers wanted Mamoswine to be Dawn's only fully evolved Pokemon. I'm not counting Togekiss since she didn't raise it and it was just given to her.