• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How did YOU find out about Pokemon?!?

majin charizard

ok this is funny, my twin cousins came from another country and they stayed with us my family, and they told me that there is a nice show at this time which was many years ago, and I watched and loved it, after a year I found out they don't care about the show anymore hahaha, and then I found out I have other cousins that loved the show too (turns out later they had the games too), and for the game, thats another story, wow I just realized that, but another family members came to our country and to our house, and their son who is same age as me I think..., he was playing pokemon no idea which red or blue, and I liked the game, he was at brock city XD, he let me played it, and man when he had to go I was like nooooo I want to play more,and maybe I was a little sad because he had to go also, and after that I begged my mother so she get me a gameboy color then I started playing ermmm blue or red no idea which one first, and still I love pokemon and I'm waiting for pokemon Y!!!
I also will buy both Y for male character and X for female

mudkip master

Surf's up Mudkip
Watching the show IIRC, after that my first experience with the games was Pokemon Stadium, then Crystal.

Dinosti

I'm here, yeah...
The first movie came on ITV once and I watched it from he part were the original Pokemon and clones were fighting. I was growing up in the third gen back then. When I saw my older cousin playing Ruby he said he wouldn't let me play it because I was too little. :(

Monek_OP

bernie2016
I believe through the cards and I wanted to get a game- and once I got a game I became obsessed...

That answer was shorter than I expected- Huh.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm very certain I first heard of it when the anime first aired on Kids WB in '98, but Mom said otherwise. She says it was because other kids at school were talking about it, and that's why I got into it. But I do distinctly remember watching when it first aired on TV, so maybe it didn't catch on to me at first.

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
Must have been around '98-'99 when a friend of mine showed me his Blue version which made me fall in love with the game almost immediately.

demnz

I hate breeding
I think I was 2 or 3 when Pokemon first premiered in the US. My dad gave me a Gameboy and a Pokemon game, I was so happy. Good times.

Golduck Is Cool

I bought that book that everyone had at a book fair. For some reason I just got obsessed with it and all the different creatures. Started watching the show and playing the game after that.

HMSSparky

Team Rocket Trainee
I watched a few minutes of the anime at a friends house about six or sever years ago and I searched up Pokémon on the internet. I only started playing the game when Diamond and Pearl came out because my brother and I got them for Christmas. I remember that we agreed to have different starters, we did have a debate on who got Chimchar and he won so I had Piplup.
I also learned how to play the TGC unlike most people I knew so I never had anyone to play with so I had to do that on my own. Ah, nostalgia. Actually, not quite nostalgia, I still play the TGC on my own.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Through my babysitter when I was 5. He brought over his cards, and my brother and I got hooked to the point of getting the games a few months later. I've actually had my Red version longer than I've had my first video game system (My brother got his GBC before I did, so I used his for a few weeks until I was given mine).

turtwig9

i don't know XD
back in either 2005 or 2006 in the primary school playground i was watching it being played by a kid and he gave me a go at it, it was pokemon sapphire. he then gave me some spare cards including a tentacruel i still keep hold of carefully and when i got home the same day i got my parents to get me a starter deck. the following christmas i was given a game boy and pokemon emerald.

a nice thing done by someone got me into pokemon which i follow to this day... so in return for the good gesture i always show my friends pokemon and try get others hooked too :)

too bad that kid moved house, we were good friends after that. =/

so thats my story, haha... good times are still roll'in today :)

Aurath8

Like a lot of people, the anime first made me aware of it, but it was the release of HGSS and the DSi XL that finally persuaded me to get the games. I thought that it would be the ideal starting point to begin the series with a remake including the first two regions.

Kalosian

So long
It was very popular at my school when I was a kid, mostly the TCG though a part of the games and anime were probably a part of it as well. It was more than impossible to not know about it at that time. I might have heard about it in some other way first although from what I remember, it first started in school.

PsychicPsycho

Not sure what year exactly. Back in like 6th or 7th grade pokemon was huge, and that's when I started. I watched the show and had a little pokedex book that said stuff about the pokemon, like moves, stats and a little summary. I read it a ton of times, and was dying to play the game- I eventually got Blue for Christmas.

I quit for a while after Silver though.

You might say I found out that pokemon might still be cool when I saw Rayquaza on the front of the Emerald strategy guide in a video game store, about 2006, I think. I got Emerald and a GBA not long after and I've been playing ever since.
Some rebellious teens run away from home, I play Pokemon. :D
lol :)

DryBones

Event Collector
Back in '98 when a kid at my school (the token rich kid) had a Gameboy + Red/Blue. Everyone went nuts as it was all 'never before seen' amazingness. I got a GBC and Blue shortly after.

The Chrisco

Dream Collector
My mother was cleaning hotels and found a Gameboy color with pokemon silver in it, which nobody ever claimed. She gave it to me, and I have been hooked ever since. I sometimes think about what I'd be obsessed with if that never happened.

flawlessazn

Spiffy ~ ^^"
I got into it when Red and Blue came out. i have played at least 1 game from each generation now .. ^^