• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How did you get into Pokemon?

When did you develop an interest for Pokemon? What was the first game you played? Where did you start your journey?

When I was alot younger, my sister had borrowed a copy of either Red or Blue from her friend, though she barely has any memory of it. Years later, I was interested in Pokemon myself, and at the same time as I was a massive fan of the Godzilla movies. I also had a GBA and I thought Pokemon was fun in general. So I thought: Why don't I start a massive Pokemon journey catching every Pokemon that look like japanese giant monsters?

So I went on Neoseeker and asked what the best Pokemon GBA game was.

Emerald. Emerald everywhere.

So I bought it.

A year later, I journeyed to Johto (SoulSilver), then my long awaited Unova (Black 2) trip...

Last edited:

Spudnugget1

who wants to sing
I was a fan since the beginning, but my interest in the first two generations is all but a haze, much like the rest of the 1990s. I was interested in the Anime initially, but my nostalgia filter has all but turned me away from the recent seasons.

My first set of games were from the Third Generation - Ruby and Sapphire, specifically. I can't remember exactly why I wanted to start playing them, but I believe it was because I had wanted something less challenging than Super Mario World.

Pokemon is like a metaphysical constant in my life. I know I enjoy it, I just don't remember why I enjoy it.

LuringMaster

Mah dawg.
I got into pokemon when I first got my copy of SSBB.
=P
Rayquaza really got my attention, till then I noticed that it was a pokemon.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
I watched the anime on the TV, in 1999 and loved it. After some time, I borrowed a Game Boy with a Pokémon Blue cartridge from a pseudo-friend of mine. I played it for months, finishing and restarting it a lot of times. One or so year later I got my first Game Boy Color, a yellow one, it was so awesome. I played Pokémon Silver a lot on it and surprisingly, this game and Gold are my least favorites on the franchise. When they announced Ruby and Sapphire, I couldn't afford a Game Boy Advance, so I had to wait some years to play Generation III games and I ended up playing only on emulators, unfortunately. Perhaps that was the reason that made me lose a lot of my interest for Pokémon. Some more years later, they released Generation IV games and I wasn't even aware, since I was away from the Pokémon scene. I decided to buy a Nintendo DS mainly to play Castlevania and I thought: Why not give this Pokémon Diamond game a try? Best thing I ever did. All my love for Pokémon was restored and that is one of the reasons I consider Generation IV the best one.

tl;dr: Anime, then Pokémon Blue, then Silver, then everything else.

FairGamer9215

Let's see...memory...activate....GAAAAHHHH...!

I was a kid, I know that. Pretty sure I liked the anime and even the tcg before I ever got into the video games (still have all my cards, even the original pikachu card...:p). With my gaming history, I started with the n64 and Zelda and such, then soon got a a gba, and I longed to get ruby for such a long time! I remember getting a bookmark from my library that had the ad for ruby on it. It had Groudon, all the starters and such, and was deep red. There was a sapphire one too, but since I loved the color red so much, I went with ruby. Soon, I had it and was addicted. Had to get all the versions when they came out. I was never a super competitive battler, but I was into it enough where I knew the evolutions and such. Been getting all the versions ever since. The next was fire red, then diamond, then soulsilver, then white. Don't watch the show or collect the cards anymore, and I don't play as much, but I still love it. Its a childhood thing, I suppose. It'll always be there. But that's my history with it, I suppose, very vague, but I can say for sure that pokemon Colosseum was atrocious. And that's all I have to say about that.

The Keyblade Alchemist

Don't even blink!
When SR came out, I saw my cousin playing Ruby. It all went uphill from there...

ATLRhyno

Hahah I remember playing with pokemon toys when I was little. When I finally went on a vacation a few yrs ago I bought pokemon black. My very first pokemon game. Then I traveled back to sinnoh with platinum and back to unova with black 2

tyranitarenthusiast

hmmm lets see

i was about 8 and every day on the bus i saw 5 or so boys hunched over with a screen pressed up to their face, when i asked what they were doing they told me they were playing a game called pokemon. i had heard of it but did not know how to play. So i watched for week as they played. I remember i was distinctly interested in Geodude. Eventually i started playing and here i am now playing w2

gliscor&yanmega

When did you develop an interest for Pokemon? What was the first game you played? Where did you start your journey?

When I was young, I don't know how old exactly but probably around 6 or so. I saw the show and liked it, my sister had Blue I think so I started playing that, then I played each generation afterwards.

Flame Mistress

My cousin practically forced me to watch an episode of the anime with her. Then I got Pokémon Diamond just out of curiosity, and everything went uphill from there.

Shame is, my cousin's now grown out of Pokémon completely...

When I was four or five, I just happened to catch an episode of the anime (the one where Misty gets Psyduck) and from there I fell in love. Soon I was begging my mom to buy me all the toys and videos, and when she bought me Pokemon Stadium, I was so happy. Stadium wasn't fun if you didn't have the gameboy games, so my mom found one of those for me as well. I had all the books, toys, and movies and I didn't think it would end.
But then the fad fell out of style, and any kids playing Pokemon would usually get teased, so I sold all my stuff but played my blue version in secret. I remember wanting to get Gold version, but I was too embarrassed to grab it. When I was in about fourth grade, I saw a copy of Pokemon Colosseum at the video rentals, and I just casually put it under all the movies my mom was renting. I was suddenly no longer embarrassed and my passion for Pokemon was once again reignited.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
My mom bought me and my sister Red and Blue when we were little, we really loved them so we got into everything Pokemon related at the time from the anime to the toy lines. Unfortunately, my sister has long since grown out of it and I do miss playing with her, but I still enjoy these games for what they provide.

Catfish

When I was 6, my mom bought me Pokemon Blue to go with the GBAl she had gotten me for my birthday. :) It was love at first sight.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
When I was 8 I saw an episode of the D/P series and I thought it was awsome! I started my journey in twinleaf town on pokemon diamond :D

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
lol, how could you NOT get into pokemon, if you were a kid in the 90's!
The real question is, how could almost everyone else get out of it afterwards. I never did :p

I was in middle school and watched the show from the very first episode of kanto. Back then I was having trouble with my grades so during one year my mom said that if I got good grades at the end of the year she would buy me a gameboy color and pokemon yellow. Well that motivated me a LOT since of course I didn't have any money to buy them on my own. Pokemon yellow was the only game that I had for a long time, I remember getting three pokemon to level 100 and the others were lvl 80-90.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I was in 3rd or 4th grade, and Pokemon hit America like a tidal wave. At first I refused to watch it; my sister had an anime version of Thumbilina, so I thought it would be girly. One day I saw an episode, the one where Jiggilypuff appeared, and I had fun. Still, I didn't know if I would like the series. For weeks I told my friends "I like one episode; I don't know if I like the show." XD

Eventually, I saw more, got Blue version, etc.