1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

How did you make it past the first gym in yellow?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Roserazor, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Roserazor

Roserazor ...Look Behind You

In Pokemon Yellow, you are forced to have Pikachu as your starter. Unfortunately, the first gym is all Rock/Ground types, and Electric doesn't effect ground (not to mention that Ground is also super effective on Electric). So what did you do to get past Brock in Yellow version?

-Roserazor ;407;

EDIT: And thank you all so much for making this the biggest non-Sticky thread in the Red/Green/Blue/Yellow Discussion!
    EDIT: As of May 27th, 2012, this thread received its 300th post! Thanks for all the comments everybody!

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. Ursaman

Ursaman Don't make me mad

I caught a caterpie, evolved it into a butterfree, and taught it psychic. That was pretty much my only hope.

3. Ultimate Glalie

Ultimate Glalie Well-Known Member

I caught a Nidoran and trained it until it learned Double Kick, then used it against him.

4. tom-tom

tom-tom Furret <3

Unfortunately Electric isn't weak on Rock, it doesn't affect Ground which Onix and Geodude are.

5. I was dumb and as i remember i trained my pikachu to like level 20 it took like a week considering i only had level 3 pidgeys to kill and then i challenged Brock and i used tackle throughout the whole battle i should have caught a caterpie to evolve into a butterfree.

6. ForteAnly

ForteAnly Well-Known Member

I caught a Mankey in Route 22 at level 3 I think so that help in defeating Brock.

7. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I hated Yellow because of the hurdle in the first Gym. I remember fighting Brock with Pikachu, Butterfree, and Pidgey but losing since nothing I used really made a difference. I decided to just trade over a level 10 Poliwag from my friends Blue version and I beat Brock using that type advantage. I used to hate training so I never really tried to beat him on my own :p

8. Ya ok

Ya ok meh

I caught a female Nidoran and just kept using it and Pikachu until I FINALLY beat him.

It took forever. :/

9. Kurupon

Kurupon New Member

I remember taking ages to even kill the Geodude and by the time Onix came I only had a Pidgey of lvl 5 left or something.

I just trained my Pikachu to lvl 11 and used quick attack all time.

10. Kojinka

Kojinka An Inside Joke

The easiest way to beat Brock in Yellow is to catch a Mankey in Route 22 and train it till it learns one of its fighting moves.

11. foxyman1167

foxyman1167 From Zero To Hero

Butterfree. Such a simple solution, although it was a ***** to train to evolve fully.

12. Count Zubat

Count Zubat Member

Pretty much this

13. Supa Cheesy

Supa Cheesy Cheesy Cheese

The first time I played:
    After stocking up on a few potions (as many as i could afford), I had a lv 16 Pikachu, and lv 9 Pidgey, and a lv 7 Metapod.
    Sent in metapod for geodude, spammed harden, then spammed tackle. The metapod died. :(
    Next, spammed pidgey's gust. After a few potions, the geodude died.
    Brock sent out his Onix, I spammed sand attack, which was quite helpful. The Onix missed quite a few times, but that led to my Pidgey's death.
    Sent out my Pikachu, after using nearly all of my potions, it finally died from a quick attack. That took forever. ButIwas like, 4 at that time :D

14. Fish-killer

Fish-killer Member

caught a nidoran, taught it double kick, and laughed my way through the gym.

15. Skull-Kid

Skull-Kid Well-Known Member

I caught a Caterpie and trained it to a Butterfree. I also trained a Nidoran-M and taught it Double Kick. Nidoran-M was mostly backup.

16. deoxysdude94

deoxysdude94 Just bought a Switch :D

Mankey with low kick or one of the nidorans with double kick.

17. mapache

mapache Bear Inside

easy, caught a nidoran/caterpie/mankey and thats it, it was no big deal actually. i mean by the time i get there i was using a mankey anyway :p

18. Murky_Night

Murky_Night Jirafa

I used Nidoran, Butterfree, Mankey, and Pikachu. All at level 17. I beat Geodude with Butterfree, but Onix fainted her. Then i sent out Nidoran and used Double kick, then i won :) Training isn't really that hard, even metapod takes forever to raise for some reason.

19. mapache

mapache Bear Inside

kinda the same here, brock never was a challenge to me on yellow since i played red version a lot before i got yellow :p so when i reach viridian i got my mankey :p

20. Pokemon Trainer Blue

Pokemon Trainer Blue Smell ya later!

Butterfree + Confusion = Win