• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How did you make it past the first gym in yellow?

Absol trainer

Hidden Valley...
Mankey+ Low Kick and Nidoran M and F with Double Kick, because I always overprepared for that gym.

The first several runthroughs, I just over leveled my Pikachu. On the most recent try who knows how long back, I think I used a Butterfree. I never even thought about using Mankey. D:

Shadow XD001

In previous files, I'd use the Nidoran - Double Kick Combo to beat Brock, but in my most recent file I decided to make it more challenging. None of my Pikachu's moves could hit Geodude or Onix, so I had Pikachu use Tail Whip/Growl (mainly Tail Whip), then Pidgey would use Quick Attack, and I won the Badge.

Felmarg

I always used Mankey. This is the only point in any game where I catch a pokemon for battle that I plan on ditching right away. Normally I pick a team and stick with it.

Forretress Fan

Let's Go
There are wild Mankeys by Gary's second battle location
One lowkick equals 2 hits for Geodude and one for Onix
Pretty easy

TicoPokemonMaster

haha, I use to hate Geodude and Onix when I had to face them but after I would catch and train them.

When I was young I would emulate Ash's team by brock's gym I would have pikachu, butterfree, pidgeotto(lv7), and nidoran( I know it wasn't Ash's but I wanted something different, it would usually replace butterfree's place after I was bored with it.)

With butterfree I would spam Confusion and win

GengarsRevenge

Yeah, evolved Caterpie into Butterfree so it could learn confusion. Then it became easy.

For some reason I didn't like Nidoran, so I didn't bother training one...

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I pretty much did it the hard way. I keep leveling up my mon until I am able to beat him. But like everyone else said, if you don't want to do it the hard way, get a pokemon with a good fighting move.

Antiyonder

Overlord
I'd pretty much just use Butterfree's Confusion and Mankey's Low Kick do the job.

Though at one point I played through Stadium to get the Surfing Pikachu (With Mew and Mewtwo as my main fighters since Pikachu would be at a low level), and used Surf attack on Brock's Pokemon.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
I aimed for the horn.

Oh and Butterfree.

Corinton

Riddler
A level 13 Pidgey and I won the battle easily thanks to gust xD

Mudkipz_Lover

Snivy & Mudkips Rule
I just used status lowering from Pikachu, Pidgey's gust and I used Nidoran (don't remember is M or F) to waste my time to heal my Pokémon.

Deicario

I believe I can fly.
Well, everytime I lost I'd go and face him again.
I can't remember my tram but it'd probably be easy ones to get like Pidgey (plus Pikachu
of course).
Eventually, I beat him. But I had very small amount of money left.

Skwog

PurpleHaze
Either Nidoran with Double Kick or Butterfree with Confusion. I remember my first time trying to beat Brock with only Pikachu...

hawaiian ale

zapdos master hoo ra
i caught a nidoran. had it evolve to a nidorina so it learned doulbe kick.

The Tail

I caught a Mankey and a Nidoran. Also Tail Whip'd the Onix 'til his defense couldn't be lowered (had a high leveled Pikachu that wistood its attacks) juust in case.

Last edited: