• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

How did you make it past the first gym in yellow?

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
I caught a Nidoran. She saved my butt then, and she grew into a Nidoqueen who would continue to save my butt all throughout yellow, body slamming her way through the game.

^^^How did you use mankey? They aren't available til post-Pewter...

Beechlgz

Easy. Mankey, nidoran or butterfree.

Mankey for its high attack and low kick (takes out heavy rock pokemon quite quickly) or if I wasn't in the mood for raising a mankey, nidoran could take quite a few hits while whittling down the rock pokemon's health with double kick. Butterfree with its decent special and with the rock types having not so good special, I could take out Brock's entire team with confusion alone so long as butterfree was at least level 12.

SasakiThePikachu, mankey are obtainable quite close to the start of the game, even before you reach Pewter. Try going left of Viridian City as though you were going to Indigo Plateu but don't go quite that far, the patch of grass where you find nidoran and spearow also has quite a lot of mankey.

SasakiThePikachu

like pepsi cola
Easy. Mankey, nidoran or butterfree.

Mankey for its high attack and low kick (takes out heavy rock pokemon quite quickly) or if I wasn't in the mood for raising a mankey, nidoran could take quite a few hits while whittling down the rock pokemon's health with double kick. Butterfree with its decent special and with the rock types having not so good special, I could take out Brock's entire team with confusion alone so long as butterfree was at least level 12.

SasakiThePikachu, mankey are obtainable quite close to the start of the game, even before you reach Pewter. Try going left of Viridian City as though you were going to Indigo Plateu but don't go quite that far, the patch of grass where you find nidoran and spearow also has quite a lot of mankey.

Oh, yar. My bad. It's been dog's year since I played Yellow :D

Wait.........you're telling me I could've caught a Mankey to beat Brock?! *insert curse words here*

PkmnTrainerJ

Mankey all the way. Butterfree might have helped too, it was a long time ago to recall.

surfer treecko

Highly Explosive
I used to use mankey, but Double Team and Potion spamming works just as well if you want to stick with pikachu.

Dusknoirdude23

*generic countdown*
Very first time? In that case... Nidoran F + Double Kick, Nidoran M + Double Kick, Mankey + LowKick, Butterfree + Confusion. Epic win, only ever switched when Brock changed to spread EXP slightly :)

caterpie_is_awesome_123

Paramore & Hayley<3
i was young and i thought by defeating the pokemon they would be caught so there i was going against brock with only my pikachu ;( i got destroyed only until i found out about pokeballs and caught a Caterpie trained to butterfree did i beat him xp

I seemed to notice that the first few kanto gym leaders seem to be near pokemon who can kill them completely.

Brock - Mankey
Misty - Oddish/Bellsprout
Lt Surge - Diglet/Dugtrio (I have never had an easier win than that one)
Erica - Grimer

But I suppose after that the expected you to have quite a balanced team by then.
Just a theory, what do you guys think?

Richarizard

conspicuous absence
Nidoran with double kick just back handers brocks team.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Mankey or I'd trade over a Squirtle.

I was going to trade for a Squirtle recently, too. I was playing Yellow the other day and I was stuck at Brock's Gym and I couldn't progress because his Onix kept defeating my Charmander. I was just going to go with the easy route but then I decided to suck it up and just train myself a Mankey like everybody else. It wasn't easy, but that made all the difference. Haha, now that I think about it, that was one of the fews times I trained a Pokemon specifically to defeat the first Gym Leader of a region.